"starchy" carbs

firemedic

Cathlete
I know when people say to stay away from starchy carbs, they usually mean breads, pasta, rice, & potatoes. But does that include sweet potatoes? Also, can you still eat quinoa and couscous? I don't eat a lot of bread and if I do, it is always whole wheat and small slices. But I do love sweet potatoes and usually eat maybe 2 per week. Also, what about true whole wheat pasta (homemade)? Sorry for so many questions but with all the different articles, I would rather hear what "true people" who live through this daily have to say.

Thanks for any help.
Kim

I have always said good, "whole" carbs for people are like putting gas in your car. Everything in moderation.

I heard SeanT say somewhere that he eats at least one sweet potato a day. Quinoa is also good It is great for vegetarians as it is a complete protein. Kimberly Snyder a food writer eats a couple of bananas each day. She has a detox book and is a believer in green smoothies.

The truth is you can eat anything that your body tolerates just fine. I personally do best with foods that don't have any yeast so for me that would be no yeast bread. I also eat quinoa, brown rice, lentils, and the occasional potato. I even eat some pasta every now and then. It doesn't seem to cause a possible problem. Starchy carbs seem to be easier for me to tolerate then ones that come from sweets or even fruit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.