Spinning and legs

lcsavik

Cathlete
Has spinning helped tone up your legs? Specifically the hamstring area.
Also, does spinning stress the lower back?

I've noticed that spinning has helped tone my inner thigh, which is a weak spot on me. In general, I've lost fat with spinning which helps everything look better.

I haven't had any problem with my back from spinning. I've had to make sure my bike was adjusted properly so I don't feel any pain in my knees.

I think spinning has helped tone my legs. It works the legs hard so it can't hurt. I have a couple of bulging disc in my lower back and spinning doesn't bother my back at all. I love spinning, it's so much fun!

Spinning had tightened up my thighs and really brought out the musculature in my calves.

It will work your hamstrings hard if you focus on the back stroke of pedaling (pulling up from the bottom of the pedal stroke). I think that's where a lot of my thigh toning has been - in the hamstrings.

Your lower back should not be bothered by Spinning. Be sure your bike is set up properly; both the seat height and the saddle to handle bar position.

Spinning can burn a lot of fat and I think it has given me more definition in my legs. I have low back problems and riding the spinning bike, even for long periods, has not bothered my low back. The only problem I have is with my knees, if I am spinning too many days in a row, or if I am doing a hill climbing working and using heavy resistance.

Thanks ladies! I bought a spin bike today. Another incentive is my husband had foot surgery in March and just started walking without crutches 3 weeks ago. He has been doing Cathe wt work but misses running. So spinning will be a good substitute.
I was just cleared for low low aerobic and light wt work on Wednesday. At physical therapy on Wednesday she had me get on a spin bike and I loved it. I'm excited to work out again! Now I need to download Cathe's spin workouts!

Spinning had tightened up my thighs and really brought out the musculature in my calves.

It will work your hamstrings hard if you focus on the back stroke of pedaling (pulling up from the bottom of the pedal stroke). I think that's where a lot of my thigh toning has been - in the hamstrings.

Your lower back should not be bothered by Spinning. Be sure your bike is set up properly; both the seat height and the saddle to handle bar position.

I guess I don't know what you mean by back stroke. Do you mean back pedaling?

Probably TMI but, I'm sore from the seat. Ouch!

I guess I don't know what you mean by back stroke. Do you mean back pedaling?

Probably TMI but, I'm sore from the seat. Ouch!

You will be sore from the seat for a couple of days. Just keep riding and it will go away quickly.

What I meant by back stroke is the part of the pedal stroke where your foot is at the bottom and you pull up to the top. It's that back half of the circle that works the hamstrings. The downward stroke works the quads.

Thanks for the input and explanation. I did Ride this morning. Wow what a sweat fest! Feels good to workout again without pain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.