Spay Incontinence

candi

Cathlete
Has anyone experienced this with their dog? Took my girl Sophie to the vet this morning and it appears she has it. The vet gave me PPA and said it works in 95% of the cases. If it doesn't work, looks like she'll be taking a little estrogen like me.

Yes!! I thought Maggie (my lab) was the only one. I was convinced the vets screwed up with the spay surgery and were covering themselves. I never heard of it before. Maggie is now five years old and has been on PPA for 4 years. She was spayed at about six months and at about a year old we noticed she was not able to hold her urine. She was tested for bladder/kidney infections but tests came back negative. It was determined that she was spay incontinent. She takes PPA once daily to control it.

Thank you so much for answering.

We adopted Sophie at age one (they think) and she had just had a litter. I picked her up right after she was spayed and she seemed to heal so nicely.... Well, that was over a year and a half ago. I read on the internet that it can start at any time after spaying.

Sophie seems to "leak" only when she's sleeping. Poor thing. She looks up at us as if to say "I'm sorry, I don't know how that happened!".

Have you noticed any side effects of the PPA? Does it make Maggie nervous? I was told by the vet that since it's basically a decongestant or vaso-constrictor it could make her a bit fidgity.

I'm so glad the PPA is working for Maggie. I hope it works for my baby.

Edited to say that on the internet, it says this incontinence happens in about 20% of spayed dogs. Like you, this is the first time I've heard of it.

Candi,

I can so totally relate. Maggie's problems were when she was lying down. It was so sad because she didn't even realize it was happening. We haven't noticed any negative side effects from the PPA, we give it to her at night before bed and she sleeps fine through the night, so it doesn't make her fidgety. The only hard part is giving it to her she doesn't like taking medicine. If it were my other lab on the other hand, she eats anything, she actually looks at me as if to say, "Can I have what Maggie's having?" I hope everything works out well with Sophie and you don't experience any side effects.

Maria

Yes! My dog Boomer has this problem also. She is a black lab/border collie mix and is very smart. She can't help it and I feel so sorry for her when she gets up and looks real sad cause she has had a little accident. The pills I had her on made her sick and I thought if it was me I would rather pee myself than vomit(that is kinda gross sorry). Now she just wears some panties when she goes places. The problem has gotten a little better though.

*raises hand* yep! i've read it's from spaying them too early.. we did brie at 4 months instead of waiting til 6..... believe me.. we waited til 6 months for tyler!

brie did the ppa.. but it didn't work.. she now takes a low dose of estrogren once a week.. we worked down from every 3 days to start if i remember correctly.

it was so sad.. she didn't even know she was peeing.. she'd be laying down and there would be a puddle! (or wet spot on the furniture!) can't have that! i love having my fuzzy's on the couch and bed with me!

Thanks for the additional input.

I don't think the spay incontinence is caused by spaying too early because Sophie was approx 1 year old when she was spayed. My other dog was only 4 months and hadn't even gone through her first heat period. She's 10 next month and never had the problem. The vet told me that it really depends on the dog and that it is more of a hormonal issue.

Thankfully, the PPA seems to be working so far. It's probably too soon to tell but I gave Sophie her 25mg PPA last night and no leaking. The vet said 1 pill in am and 1 in pm but I think I'm just going to do the pm and see how that works. No fidgeting either....she slept like a puppy.

I have an 8 year old Wire Fox Terrier that is on DES ( a hormone).. for this same problem. It is given one a day for 7 days, then one a day every other day for 7 days etc... until it starts again and then you know to back up to the previous dose.. She only does it when she sleeps, and doesn't even realize it.. glad to hear others are doing this too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.