Soooo need help!

Chrissysu

Cathlete
Hello, all,

I was wondering if I could get your advice on something? I have always wondered if you could lose weight and/or inches by NOT counting things like calories, carbs, fat grams, etc. Do you have other strategies that help you stay on track with your diet? Could you share please?

I'm sooo sick and burned out on counting, so I was wondering if you all had other ways of monitoring yourself.

Thanks!

Chrissy

hmmmm....that is a tough one but I can certainly see how you could get burned out. I still keep track but mostly because I know all those things contribute to my running and I like to see what works and what doesn't.

You could try simply eating only the cleanest foods and making sure you stop eating before you are full. Water consumption is critical. Try it and see how you feel.

The other reason I keep track is because it keeps me from eating too much of the bad stuff. I promise myself that if I permit "just a bite" then I don't have to include it in my journal. Besides, I don't want to make a journal entry that says "entire cake, 6378 calories, 587 g fat, 3672 carbs, 0 protein, 0 fiber" LOL!!

It can be done, just make sure your food choices and portions are well thought out. Let us know how you do!!

Well, I'm not the cleanest eater, but I maintain my weight where I like it. I look at the nutrition info and buy things that are 30% or less fat. Have you tried portion control? You won't count calories, just watch how much of everything you eat. There are websites out there to explain this. BTW, I guess in a way I do count calories, simply by knowing after years of counting, how many calories everything has! Also, if you get 5-7 servings of fruits and vegies a day (which is my weak point) you probably won't have room for high calorie, high fat stuff, IMHO

"Also, if you get 5-7 servings of fruits and vegies a day (which is my weak point) you probably won't have room for high calorie, high fat stuff, IMHO"

VERY TRUE!!! You will be pretty full. Eat the veggies first and go back for seconds of the veggies....then eat the other stuff.

> I have always wondered if you could lose weight and/or inches by
>NOT counting things like calories, carbs, fat grams, etc. Do
>you have other strategies that help you stay on track with
>your diet? Could you share please?
>

Absolutely! I don't count carbs or calories or most things, though I do avoid some things that I think are detrimental, or at least not beneficial, to my health.

I just make sure to keep to a pretty much whole-foods diet (the closer I stick, the better I control my weight), ideally at least half raw foods, and avoid processed foods, flour (more easily digested than whole grains-- especially white flour. I eat bread, but not a lot, and it's sprouted grain bread), and white sugars.

When I eat high-carb foods (which I don't avoid just because of the carbs), I do usually make sure that they contain at least 2 grams of fiber per serving. Even most "health food store" crackers and cookies don't pass the test. (I will occasionally eat things that don't fit these criteria, but the less I do so, the better I feel and look).

I also avoid foods with high-fructose corn syrup/sweetener and hydrogenated oils (both of which are man-made substances that the body doesn't do well on, IMO, and from what I've read, the increase in obesity in the US parallels the increase in the use of these two substances --I refuse to call them 'foods"--in our food supply.)

The more nutrient-dense your food choices (vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, foods that contain high levels of vitamins, minerals, natural fibers, antioxidants), the more satisfied your body is, and the fewer cravings you will have, in my experience.

It's also good, IMO, to avoid "non-foods" in general (things that have a list of ingredients that include things that don't exist in nature, like candy, soft drinks--whether diet or regular, which are either just empty calories, or more chemicals one puts in the body--even most "meal replacement" or "protein" products, which are often just glorified candy bars. To satisfy the "candy bar" cravings, I like Lara Bars ---all raw foods based, with 2-6 real ingredients per bar-- Vega bars--actual meal replacement bars, with a high percentage of raw ingredients and hemp protein --which is the most easily absorbed protein).

A good book for learning how to make better food choices, IMO, is "Picture-Perfect" weight loss. It is full of (yummy-looking!) photos, comparing two meals or snacks with the same amount of calories: one that is calorie dense, and one that is nutrient dense. It doesn't mean that you have to go around counting calories, but you become more aware of the choices you make, and can choose a more nutritious, less calorie dense option.

Chrissy,

If you have been calorie counting for a while, you are probably reasonably familiar with what and how much you can eat in order to stay within your calorie range for weight loss. Why don't you try "roughing" it. Eat what you'd normally eat, DON'T count the cals, just wing it. If you eat the same way you have been eating, you will probably do okay with out actually having to do the counting.

I know how you feel...I was calorie counting as well as doing the f/c/p ratios and it can get old real fast. I have taken a "break" from it now and just try to eat in the same fashion I had been w/o tracking the cals. I seem to be doing okay with it. Starting the 1st of the year I'll be going back to counting though...I just needed a break for a while....

Another idea is if you want to try the low fat route. I have done that successfully. I never actually COUNTED my fat intake but I only ate low fat/no fat foods. I lost weight more than once going that route!

Best of luck to ya!

I really don't count anything. But like some others mentioned, it's probably just because I pretty much eat the same things all the time, and there's no need to count anymore. And like Kathryn, I avoid empty calories and stick to nutrient-dense foods.

Come to think of it, when I went to the nutritionist about two years ago, she gave me an eating plan that didn't involve any counting at all, and I've more or less been following it ever since. It is very easy to follow. I would highly suggest visiting a nutritionist. The plan she gave me was geared towards being leaner and giving me more energy. Although I did not have a lot of weight to lose, it's hard to believe that she would have recommended anything too different for someone who had a lot of weight to lose, as they like you to lose slowly anyway.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to post the eating plan. But do consider a visit to a nutritionist. I only had to go once, and I thought the price was reasonable.

-Nancy

Nancy,

I am interested in what the plan was that the nutritionist gave you. I may have to visit one myself . . .wonder how much they are? Hmm . . .

Thank you, ALL, by the way for the great advice. Maybe I just need a break from the counting, but I seriously start to feel "panicky" when I think about counting again. . .

I'm also going to try to stick to the whole foods method and see how that goes . . .

Chrissy

My daughter did WW Core this summer and it's no counting - just a list of the right foods.

I find if I focus on getting enough water, protien, fruit, veggies I don't have to focus on avoiding the bad stuff!

I don't count.

I am developing a new plan: My meals will consist of 1 serving of good carbs, 1 serving of good protein, and veggies. Snacks will be protein or protein with a good carb (such as carrots or fruit). The only thing I'm counting are my ounces of water, and even those I only estimate. I figure if I come close, I'm good.

When the body's hungry, eat. When it's not, don't. Protein helps you stick to this...carbs don't.

Chrissie, the visit to the nutritionist cost $150, but that was Manhattan. Could be less in your area. It was worth every penny for me. A year later, my doctor was calling me to tell me how awesome my cholesterol test results were.

-Nancy

Okay, Chrissie, I just went digging in my file cabinet and found a whole folder of stuff from the nutritionist. Here's the basic plan:

AM - WATER first thing in the morning and all day long. Have a total of 8 glasses per day.

BREAKFAST (have ALL 3 COMPONENTS): whole grain cereal + 8 oz. skim milk + one oz. lean protein (1 egg or 2 egg whites or 1/2 cup cottage cheese or 1 oz. lowfat cheese). Also take 2 GNC Calcimate Plus 800 tablets.

LUNCH (include ALL 4 COMPONENTS): 3 oz. lean protein + LOTS of cooked or raw vegetables + 1-3 tsps. of oil + about 1/2 cup of high fiber complex carbs (beans were her favorite choice).

DINNER (include ALL 3 COMPONENTS): 3 oz. lean protein + LOTS of raw or cooked vegetables + 1-3 tsps. oil. Also take 2 GNC Calcimate Plus 800 tablets.

SNACKS: Fresh fruit. She also said I could have some low-fat ice cream in the evening as long as I add berries on top. The ice cream was tailored to my tastes, and I only had a few lbs. to lose, so if you have more weight to lose, it might make sense to leave it out.

That really is the whole thing. I thought it was remarkably simple.

The only real "counting" is getting to a point where you can recognize 3 ozs. of chicken when you see it. I tend to use 4 ozs. instead of 3, because 3 is so little. I buy these little 3.75 oz. cans of tuna and salmon and just use those for my salads.

Hope this helps.
-Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you so much for digging this out! This looks about like what I was planning to follow myself! Do you know why she recommended so much calcium supplements rather than calcium from dairy products? Just curious.

What were your results on this plan?

Thanks again!
Chrissy

I like to follow the Richard Simmons:eek: food mover! ( I know) I eat mainly clean foods, nothing white and very little processed ..... but i close a window for each serving I get, my calorie level is 1200.... and I get 2 fruits, 2 dairy, 3 fats, 4 starch, 5 each of veggie and protien, and one bonus (under 30 cal) and I guzzle water, this is what helped me lose 40+ pounds 6 years ago, that I had kept off till I quit smoking and recently got very sick (surgery and more) but when I get back to feeling up to it, I will follow this again and hope to drop it again!
It keeps me honest having to close those little windows.......and makes me have the veggie instead of the bagel......:7

I don't know, Chrissy, but it was the only supplement she recommended. It contains calcium, magnesium, vit. D and potassium.

The reason I went to her was to get my cholesterol down (it was kind of borderline) and to have more energy. She asked me if I wanted to lose some weight too, and I said that would be nice. But I haven't really tried to lose weight. I eat more ice cream then I should, and I always add a bag of low-fat popcorn in the evening. I also snack on Luna bars during the afternoon, which the nutritionist would not approve of because they're not clean.

My doctor is thrilled with the change in my cholesterol levels and I definitely feel better. I know that if I ever need to lose weight, I can cut out the ice cream and the Luna bars and do so. Meanwhile, I'm happy just maintaining. Most of all, I know I'm eating healthier than I ever have before and that I'm doing my body good. :D

I remember when I went to the San Diego zoo, and they were wheeling in barrels of carrots and apples for the elephants (who are vegetarians) to eat. Sometimes I feel like one of the elephants at the San Diego zoo with all the fruit and veggies I eat! LOL.

There were a couple of things that worked for me...The first (and easiest) was to use the same size plate my daughter was using...I put 1/3 of the "main" dish on my plate, and filled the rest with whatever veggie was on the menu that night...If I was still hungry, I HAD to have more veggies before I could have 2nds on anything else...

Added to that, I took dairy out of my diet...I could never have a "serving" of cheese (used to be a "mouse!", and have always had a tummy issue with milk...WOW! I'm taking a calcium supplement, and using non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice) instead and cheeses...

My snacks have changed to hummus and veggies (afternoon) or non-dairy protein shakes (post-workout in the morning)...Easy to make, low cal and low fat...Very filling and good for me!!!

And the last thing I did, was take a great multivitamin...For some reason, after I started that, my cravings disappeared...It's like my body was telling me I was missing something???? Must be getting it now!

MJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.