So, I usually lurk...

michele1967

Cathlete
..but I need help.
Here's the situation.
I am in yet another fitness slump. Nothing major, but I don't want it to snowball.
Came back from vacation almost 2 weeks ago. Have not worked out. At all.
I exercised every single day of a two week vacation--power walked and did weight w0ork (I had a full set of weights with me). Even with that, my clothes were tight when I came home. Depressing.
Anyway, I gave myself the usual few days for "re-entry", but I am still not back into the swing of things. I have slowly been getting my sleep back on track, but have not been able to get up for AM workouts (which I prefer).

I have had several of these slumps in the past 18-24 months--as evidenced by the bigger clothes in my closet. I seem to do really well for 6 weeks or so, then almost totally derail. I don;t think I am overtraining. And while I surely have "life" issues which have interfered, I don't want to use that as an excuse. there are too many people w/worse troubles than mine who manage to stay on track.
I feel so unfocused and unfit. I don't feel healthy, which is sad , because I am a health professional (too mortified to say what I do), and should be a better example for my patients.

Sorry to whine, but I have been meaning to post this for a while.
I would gladly welcome any motivational advice, though I suspect what I really need is a swift kick in my pin cushion.

Thanks in advance,
Michele

Michele...

Tomorrow do the workout (video, outdoor, club) that you most enjoy. It doesn't matter if it's cardio, weights or even very challenging. Just do something physical (well, workout wise) that puts a smile on your face.

I have 2 workouts that always put a smile on my face. A bike ride around a nature preserve (Newport Beach Backbay). The mud birds, pelicans, cranes are great entertainment. Also love Karen Voight's video with Elle, "Personal Best". Karen's loose, Elle is dopey, but it's fun circuit training. It's my rainy day video (which seems to have settled in with my sister), even if the rainy, gloomy day is only in my head.

RE: Michele...

Michelle...

Read the post from Ruth...(Arrggh)....I think you will find that everyone has those days.

It is an excellend suggestion to get out and just do something you enjoy...exercise doesn't have to be a full-fledged workout with a video...any type of activity will make you feel better.

Somedays I go for a walk first, sometime even leisurely...not focused on the exercise part of it but the pleasurable part of it...then when I get back my spirit is boosted and I feel more like doing a weight routine.

I think the important thing is to do something...anything...then let it build....it really is an upward spiral if we are realistic about our goals and ... more importantly...doing it for ourselves...

Kathleen...putting on my purple hat and living my life!!!!

ditto on the advice from Kathleen and Debra

Just don't stress about it. I think it's a normal reaction in any regular fitness routine. You just need to hit the refresh button once and a while;-). Besides, I don't think it's possible to be up and excited all the time about your workouts..you just have to sludge your way through those times...and sometimes at a slower pace..just don't beat yourself up about.

I usually try to get remotivated by picking up a new fitness magazine, hunt out a new video, maybe shop for something new and different..a simple jumprope or a medicine ball. Both of which you could spice an old workout and make it more exciting and different. Try jumping rope during the weight circuits in BodyMax or CircuitMax..sort of makes it interval work..or try using the medicine ball and figuring out how to make the strength ciruits work with the ball:-hmmm.

Also, the outside suggestions are great too...take advantage of this wonderful end of summer weather (hopefully you have wonderful weather where you are;-)).

Slumps don't always mean unfocused..nor do they ever mean unfit. You just may have more on your plate now and your body/mind connection just might need a break or change.

As far as that swift kick...girl friend, you work in the Health Industry and you workout...read Cathe's forum..part of the "educated crowd"..and you are making an effort..slumps or no slumps...don't ever feel unworthy or like you aren't setting a good example. Tell yourself you are...and you'll start feeling better..and FYI, don't judge your fitness level by the size of the clothes in your closet..it's just material.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

RE: ditto on the advice from Kathleen and Debra

I think we could all use a good swift kick in the pin cushion somedays! I too am a "health professional" and cringe some days when I step back and think "did I really eat ALL of that today?" or "you had to pause the vcr how many times for that easy tape??" Just take comfort in the fact that it happens to all of us, and any workout is better than nothing. I found last year that after I went out and bought a fun calendar and posted it on the wall complete with a bunch of stickers to put on the days I worked out seemed to really motivate me! At first I felt like I was on the "sticker program" my sister used for her kids during their potty-training days, lol...but positive reinforcement is positive reinforcement. Having to stare at stickerless days on the calendar really makes you want to fill those days, plus posting the calendar either in your workout area or me, in the kitchen, was very motivational. At one slump I even posted a sign on my frig that said "Do you really need to eat that?" Sounds cruel, but reality hurts, lol. Anyway good luck to you and don't give up!!

:) Stacy

Everyone seems to have those times in a slump and I can't get up!
I usually think of a workout that I want to do and make myself do it.Soon you are back on track because the endorphens kick in and there isn't anything that feels that good to start your day! I am a morning exerciser and when my slump hits I seem to get really low and depressed. All of the suggestions posted are excellent however would you like to post on a daily basis so we can help each other to stay motivated? Whatever percentage you can give to a workout is better than nothing at all! So, what time will we exercise tomorrow? What tape should we do?

Just came out of my first slump

Hi Michele,
Sorry you are having a rough time!!
I just had my first real slump this week. None of my workouts looked good to me and my body just felt tired and achey. I took a rest day on Monday and expected to feel energized for my workout on Tuesday. Well, I didn't and trudged through a long run and hated every minute of it. Then, I did Power Hour and felt great and pumped up and thought I was done with the slump. The next day I felt awful again, but I made myself workout and shouldn't have - I was just miserable. And ever since then I've been fine again. Weird!!
My advice would be to just give yourself permission to slump, but try to be active in some way most days. Maybe something will click for you - either the endorphins, or just finding the "right" workout for you on that certain day.
And I have to agree with Nancy about the hormones! I have an endocrine disorder and my hormones have been so wacky lately and I am pretty sure they play a huge part in this slump I just had.
Take care and hope you feel motivated soon!!
Erica

Michele,
Your post struck a chord b/c I also am a health professional (same profession in fact, read your profile:) ) and so often I feel like a fraud talking about but not living the healthy lifestyle.

I've also been inconsistent (in the last 1 1/2 years my exercise cycle has been 10 months on, 2 months off, 3 months on, 4 months off) which has kept me from reaching my goals. My advice is to not let the slump snowball b/c it feels that much worse starting over.

Also, maybe you can do some unstructured exercise cycle,like commit to just 15 minutes of whatever you feel like that day, even if it means just doing 1 short section of a tape, walking to 3 songs, or just one set of weights for each body part. Maybe really focus on how your body feels and not trying to reach some goal.

I'm in my 1st month of getting back on track and everytime I restart I ask myself: Why did I stop?x( I found that for me it has to be 5 days a week of working out and no more than 1 day of rest in between or else the off days start outnumbering the on days. Also, making a daily habit of reading about fitness (mags & forums )really helps me get through those lazy days.

Well, I'm with you!! I will now have to print out this advice and make sure to follow it myself :).

YasDB

Hi Michele,

Heres a suggestion...

For me, the first thing of getting back into working up a good sweat, starts in my head.

I have to mentally be ready. I tell myself just 1/2 hour. That's all, just 1/2 hour then I can stop.

Once I start, I remember how fun and good this feels. It takes about 10 minutes for the endorphines to kick in. Then I'm hooked.

I don't let myself start out saying. "I need to do this to lose weight". Instead I tell myself "I'm going to get fit and strong". For me this works.

Hope this helps!

Laura

No kicks -- How about a hug? :)

Oh, Michele! We all have slumps where we just don't feel motivated to "work out." It becomes this thing with a life of its own and the longer you're away, the harder it is to face. I have to say that I ditto everyone's advice here. The best thing is to find something fun to do, whether most people would consider it a workout or not. Getting moving makes so much difference in how I feel about myself. I know that I eat more junk when I'm off the workout trail than when I'm getting moving regularly. That also adds to my feeling of "YUCK." I can practically feel my clothes getting tighter as the day goes on. :) Plus those life issues get so much harder to handle, and then I say, "Well, I can't work out. I have to be dealing with this." It's a vicious circle, isn't it? SO you came to the right place. We've all been there. We'll all be there again. Just hang tough and you'll find yourself on the other side of this thing. The joy DOES come back! :D

ErinF

RE: A little unconventional advice......

Now I try to do this 3 times a week, but when I'm in a slump it will be the only thing I do!! YOGA!! After about 5 days of doing nothing but yoga, no I'm not taking power yoga, just regular relaxing, restorative yoga, i usually feel the need to get even more active. First it's easy on the body and it helps clear the mind. I just started working out in the mornings, just this week in fact, and while it ok.... I miss my a.m. yoga sessions!! I could do those any morning!! Try it and see if it helps!!
You are not alone, you will pull through this!! Don't be too hard on yourself, and soon you'll be back in the groove again!!
Hang in there!!
Aimee

Michele

I know what you mean. I was on a 1 1/2 year slump until the beginning of this summer, then I decided to get back on track. During the 1 1/2 years, it got too easy NOT to exercise. But just like not exercising becomes a (bad) habit, exercising can become a (good) habit.
Several things helped me:
As far as negative things motivating me to do better: I took a look at the cellulite that was appearing on my arms, the extra "handle" under my lats, and the condition of my legs, and decided it was time to do something!
Another negative that motivated me was the previous secretary in our department. She was overweight, out of shape, and had a collection of health problems. I told myself I didn't want to end up like her in 10 years or so.
I know that a big factor in whether or not I work out is my MIND, not my body, so I get into the workout frame of mind. I started picking up some fitness magazines, which have articles in that motivate me. When I subscribed, I worked out regularly, but my routine and my subscriptions both lapsed around the same time!
I made an "Exercise date" with myself that I keep every day (giving myself permission to take 1-2 days off a week when I feel the need). Having my exercise duds and video/DVD picked out ahead of time helps, too.
I changed my exercise time from late afternoon/evening (starting between 4 and 8 p.m. to morning (even though I'm NOT a morning person!) because I start teaching at noon this semester, and when I had the same schedule last spring, I often missed my evening workouts because I was just too darn tired!
I've gotten a lot looser with scheduling, that is, I don't PLAN a rotation, I just make sure to vary my routines from day to day (ie: no step two days in a row, no kickboxing two days in a row, etc.). And if I plan a certain routine for one day, but don't feel like doing it, I just choose something else.
I've rediscovered exercise as FUN TIME, PLAY TIME rather than work. This is partly due to getting a new set of videos (Powerstrike kickboxing) that I love, and all the accessories to go with them (a heavy bag, gloves, hand wraps, etc.)

Don't get discouraged! And don't use your momentary slumps as permission to let it all drop.
Good luck@!

Caroline Knorr

Hi Michele, I think everyone here has had awesome ideas. A new tape or two always motivates me to get moving again. I also read people's weekly check-ins here on the forum (even though I've never posted mine!), which always give me ideas and motivation. For example, when I read that someone did All Step from CTX, 75 walking lunges, and then ran a half hour, I'll be like, "I could do that, I'll give it a try!" I also often give myself the option of just doing a half hour - the CTX series is great for that. I'll say, I can bear a half hour today, and get a good workout. Likewise, telling myself that I only have to exercise three times a week and not every day gets me out of my slump sometimes.

Another thing that I have found is motivating is that I think of my exercise time as "my time" - akin to taking a hot bath, getting a facial, or reading In Style in bed with a bowl of cereal.

Finally, I don't know if you do this, but don't think of your workout as "being good" because then you are bound to "be bad" when you go off it. Obviously, it's a life commitment, not just something you do to earn extra brownie points in life!

The other final thing is plan a rotation of something totally new - like slow-and-heavy weight training or pilates or something you haven't done before. You could be simply burned out on your old workouts!

Hang in there, girl. I'm sure you look great, too. We're our own worst critics!
-Caroline

You are so right! I always try to avoid no more than 2 days off. I seem to fall into a slump whenever I let more than a few days go between workouts.

Are you in private practice (read your profile, too!!)?
I do outpt GI (peds). Way too busy, but always thinking about going out on my own. Don't have the $$, and the doc I love the most won't her own practice--wants to stay hospital-based.
Oh well.
Always interested in what other ADA dues-payers are up to.

THanks again for the advice.

Michele

Great suggestions! Thanks Michelle. Another thing I like is having a "private space" to exercise...if you do this at home...and making it pleasant...so it is all yours. It helps me to stay focused...

Kathleen

I think that the best thing I can think of to motivate me would be to have a life size poster of Cathe in my exercise room. I could look at it and say to myself "I can do this if I want to look like that!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.