It is so hard to be greatful

janie1234

Cathlete
Ugh I just got news from my husband that they had a meeting yesterday and called in all the managers and told them that because of the economy they have to take a 10% cut in everyones salary. This just sucks. As much as I love California and where I live our budget sucks, the economy sucks, . . and because of poor financial decisions made by higher ups we have to suffer for it. We have a family and I barely work part time as it is, we pay $1000 for medical insurance and now this?! To make things worse, my mother in law has taken a turn for the worse (terminal lung cancer) both my brother and now my sister are getting a divorce. My workouts have been on a pause for the past few weeks because my husband broke his finger, colar bone, and split his chin while mountain biking. He just went back to work but on top of having to drive over an hour to help take care of my ailing mother in law, and then my husband, my 2 kids (who are out on summer break) AND play counselor to my brother and sister I've been emotionally beat to a pulp. I haven't been on a run in weeks and I know I'm not the only one out there that hates it when there is a pause in ones workout schedule. Still, I have a husband and kids who love me, a roof over our heads, and food on the table, . . it really is hard to be greatful.

Janie,

The global economy is already showing signs of recovery. This will pass. It is temporary. The good times will come again. Hang in there....(((more hugs))).

Vrinda

I couldn't imagine trying to stay positive and grateful with all your dealing with right now! Try to hang in there! <sending lots of peaceful, positive energy your way> When all seems darkest, there's light at the end, or something like that! Stay strong! It will all ease up and get better! Take a deep breath and, as hard as it is, try to find even 15 mins. for yourself whether it's a short yoga break, quiet time or whatever you can squeeze. It will help!

Tricia

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. I totally understand your feelings. I've had similar periods in my own life -- you want to be grateful by putting things in perspective and realizing that things could be much worse, others are suffering more than you, etc., etc. While that's good in theory, it doesn't particularly make your situation any easier. What you're dealing with still sucks, regardless of whether it could be worse. Be grateful when you can, be frustrated/angry/etc. when you feel like it, do the best you can to deal/cope/get by one day to the next, and remember, as Vee said, this, too, shall pass. Hang in there!

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. I totally understand your feelings. I've had similar periods in my own life -- you want to be grateful by putting things in perspective and realizing that things could be much worse, others are suffering more than you, etc., etc. While that's good in theory, it doesn't particularly make your situation any easier. What you're dealing with still sucks, regardless of whether it could be worse. Be grateful when you can, be frustrated/angry/etc. when you feel like it, do the best you can to deal/cope/get by one day to the next, and remember, as Vee said, this, too, shall pass. Hang in there!

This is exactly what I would have said!

Sometimes things just suck and feeling bad about not feeling grateful doesn't help, I've been there. ((Hugs))

Janie - So sorry to hear all of this. If you can squeeze even 15 minutes in, try to do that. You will feel better. Go all out and scream if you want - make your muscles scream. Leave a nice, huge pile of sweat. It won't make any of this go away, but you will feel like you have some semblance of control. Things will get better one day - for now, control what you can, tend to what needs tending, and let go of the rest. One day, this rough patch will be gone and you will see that you made it through just fine and hopefully, learned something positive about yourself along the way. Meanwhile, many hugs, thoughts and prayers your and your family's way.

Wow, Janie you have a heavy load on your shoulders right now. Doesn't seem fair when everything happens at once, does it. Take care of yourself. Positive thoughts are coming your way:):):)

(((hugs))) Sorry to hear about your rough patch. We took a 20% paycut in January and yes, it's hard to be grateful for the smaller paycheck, but I keep reminding myself that we are lucky to even have one at all. It has been tough, but it is doable. You'll be surprised at the ways you can save. It's not fun, but you'll make it. Make sure you keep making time for yourself. You have a lot of stress pressing on you, it's important to not forget YOU. If your workouts are a little less intense, that's ok for now. It might be time for some yoga for a while...do what makes you feel better!
Hang in there! (((more hugs))))

Becky

I don't know, I don't think it's so hard to be gratefull!! What was the saying someone posted recently? If you can't be thankfull for what you have be thankfull for what you have been spared. Something along that line.
DH is also taking a hit - cut back to a 32 hour week. Sure, we're going to feel it & things will be tight but it could be much worse! We still have insurance & a job. We'll make it through one way or the other. Our faith is in God not our economy.

I do have a small suggestion. Try keeping a thnkfull jouranl for a time. Every day right down 4 or 5 things you are thankful for. They don't have to be huge things, anything will do. Example: I am thankful foe the humming birds I see out my kitchen window every day - hey are just the coolest little things - thnakful that I have eyes to see them! Get the idea? It does help. Best to you & yours

Last edited:
Janie, hugs for what you are dealing with. I believe that life is a wheel....sometimes we are at the top, sometimes at the bottom...just wait for the wheel to make its turn...this too shall pass and better days are coming!

I'm reminded of a passage from the song "To Life!" from "Fiddler On The Roof":

"God expects us to be joyful even when our hearts lie panting on the floor.

How much more can we be joyful when there's really something to be joyful for?!"

The song does go on to say "To Life! To Life! L'Chaim!"

Janey, hang in there. These are difficult days for you indeed. Do what you can to keep your healthy coping mechanisms - including workouts no matter if it's just 10 minutes a day - alive. And don't expect the psychologically impossible from yourself.

And keep coming back here.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

A-Jock

{{{{{Janie}}}}} I can't think of a thing to add to what's already been said -- I just wanted to give you a great big hug and let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks to all of you! You all are such an awesome bunch. I agree this will pass and is temporary. I can't express how wonderful and greatful, . . yes greatful I am to have all you fabulous people here to tell me like it is and to show such support. Thanks :)

You know, my husband works with a man who has terminal cancer in his throat. His wife recently experienced something like your husband did, only it was so bad they eliminated her job and SHE carried the health insurance for the family!!!

Ugh I just got news from my husband that they had a meeting yesterday and called in all the managers and told them that because of the economy they have to take a 10% cut in everyones salary. This just sucks. As much as I love California and where I live our budget sucks, the economy sucks, . . and because of poor financial decisions made by higher ups we have to suffer for it. .

I'm in California too and I so hear what you are saying. What pisses me off even more, is that they want to keep raising taxes, registration fees and so on. What difference does that make when the same people are going to keep mismanaging the money?:mad:

Bear hugs!

I hear you! I've been in the job market for 6 months. My Aunt has cancer. My Dad is out of work too. And, I live in northern CA. The budget is in the pooper. I just hope we can get some better elected officials to sort it out.

I hope things get better for you. And, I know it seems like you don't have time to exercise, but I think if you want to stay sane you really need to, just my two cents. At least give yourself a hug and know that all of the Cathletes are here for you.

i can totally understand how you feel. its hard when everything gets dumped on you. i send you many hugs! we are going through some family issues as well and it seems never ending.

kassia

JANIE, YOU CAN HANDLE THIS...

Janie Girl: Stay strong. You can handle this. You are a tough woman inside and out (we know this b/c you work out and you care so deeply for your family).

Focus on the 10% that's going right in your life, not on the 90% that may seem wrong.

This is just a (really big) test, and as someone said above, it WILL pass. It is all for good.

Much love and many hugs,

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.