SMOKE FREE for 14 years today!!!

Nanbo

Cathlete
Fourteen years ago today I started a new life as an ex-smoker! I used the patch and NEVER had cravings or any desire to suck on a cancer stick again! I smoked almost 3 packs per day. I smoked DURING workouts (I had an ashtray clamped to my Nordic Track!:eek:)! I smoked in the shower! I NEEDED a cigarette every 20 minutes. I didn't eat much. I was thin and muscular, but NOT healthy! (Although my lung capacity outdid track athletes 1/2 my age! Probably because I was training in such demanding conditions!). When I started getting up in the middle of the night to smoke, I knew I had to quit. Plus, I noticed that older women who smoked looked awful and were in terrible health. So I set my goal to be smoke-free before my 35th birthday.

I weighed 103 pounds the day I quit and gained 25 pounds over the next 6 weeks! At 5'5" I was just a little over a normal weight for my frame. I had increased my exercise prior to quitting and revved it up even more after I quit. I've managed to keep my weight around 127 for the past 14 years in spite of the slower metabolism that comes with aging. I'd rather have fluffy spots on my body than fluffy spots on my lungs!!!;)

Today I will celebrate with a good HiiT workout: DWP and some ab work from Ab Circuits. And since it will be in the lower 50s and sunny, I'll take a walk in the sunshine and BREATHE DEEP!:eek:
Nancy

Congratulations! I quit so long ago I don't even remember when but it is probably the most important decision of your life. It's a gift to yourself that will keep on giving.

Wow Nancy I am impressed. Going from three packs a day to none is a great feat!
I too don't remember the date I quit but do know the age I started...13:eek: I am not sure what possesses a 13 yr old to start smoking or how I afforded the habit in the first place. I am pretty sure I quit in my late 20's , not sure of the exact time, but I too think it is the best thing I ever did for myself too. This morning I was talking to my mom who is in her sixties and still smokes and she was wheezing and coughing and smoking all at the same time. It infuriates me to no end but as all smokers know, she has to make the decision for herself or else it won't stick.:(

Your Awesome Nancy!

Thanks for reminding me how important that fresh air is.
Rachel

Wow!! Smoked in the shower and during workouts??:eek: You were a dedicated smoker! 3PPD is quite a habit indeed, which is all the more reason you should be soooooo proud of yourself! Heck, I'm proud of you!:D Hats off to ya girl!!!!

Congratulations, Nancy!

You and I have two things in common: our names are Nancy and we both quit smoking 14 years ago. Well, in my case 14 years, 1 month and 18 days ago, but close! :)

I smoked about a pack a day on average for maybe 13 years. St Patty's Day will be 7 years that I've quit. Hardest thing I ever did but soooo worth it! :)

Found this old post and wanted to update it:

Yesterday was my 16 Year Anniversary as an EX-SMOKER!!!!

Don't miss it one bit; no ifs, ands, or butts about it!!! :p

If any of you ladies are still smoking, take it from me: QUIT NOW and you'll get through Cathe workouts a lot better!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations Nanbo! That is so excellent! My 5 year anniversary was last month. Everything is so much easier now!

Found this old post and wanted to update it:

Yesterday was my 16 Year Anniversary as an EX-SMOKER!!!!

Don't miss it one bit; no ifs, ands, or butts about it!!! :p

If any of you ladies are still smoking, take it from me: QUIT NOW and you'll get through Cathe workouts a lot better!!!!

I wish I could like this a 100 times! :eek: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.