Silly question for marathon runners....

libra01971

Cathlete
I was talking to a friend the other day who is doing a half marathon (which I did early this year) and she's considering trying a full marathon late next year. I told her that I would consider it also but then she said she heard people who run marathons always lose a toenail and that it never grows back the same. :eek: :p

I've heard of people losing nails but not ALWAYS! Is she right???

I've got one toenail that I'm convinced is permanently jacked up! It comes off every time I train for a marathon. It doesn't hurt at all but it's ugly!!!:eek:

Hello!

I have ran a lot of marathons and even ultra marathons. From what I know, if your shoes have the right fit (1.2 size bigger than your foot size), then you should have a pretty good chance of that not happening. Although it is always possible, chances are if you are in the right shoe you will be fine! Do you have a Fleet Feet or specialty store near you who could fit your foot?

Kristen

I've lost 4 toe nails. They all came back fine. I have tried all different types of shoes & socks. I pull my toes back when I run which causes the extra strain on my toes. Goodluck training!!!

In the summer I just paint my skin red with polish. You can hardly tell there is no nail there.

No questiins are silly!!!...:)...In the last 8 years I have done marathons and even longer distances, I have had a few black toenails and maybe lost 1 or 2. It does help to find the right shoe but that isn't real easy. The shoe can't be too big or too small. I can always tell if a shoe is too small when I do alot of downhill, if my toes hurt after about 10-15 miles I know the shoe is too small and I get a half size bigger. Can be expensive but I'd rather keep my toenails...:)...I do know some distance runners that do always loose toenails....:)...Carole

My first year running I lost 5 toe nails, then I got new shoes, and trimmed my nails short (I cannot have them long at all - the place where I get pedicures just shake their heads at me) I was fine. Some people do lose their nails no matter what. I think all of our feet have weird quirks. I can save my nails, but I always have blisters on the sides of my big toes - no matter what. I have really weird feet though - they look like Fred Flintstone's feet.

I meant to say one whole size bigger in my last reply (instead of 1/2 size--I was half asleep!). Sometimes you just can't help it but getting the right shoe to fit does help. You should have a finger width distance between your toe and the end of your shoe. I used to work at a store called Fleet Feet and we would actually watch our customers run to see what type of shoe would best fit their foot, etc. I am not sure of any type of store who does this or where you live but you might want to check into it! Good luck!

People don't ALWAYS lose toenails, that's for sure. I agree with most here that it's the shoe fit that can cause most of the trauma.

If you do a lot of downhill running, or if your shoes are too small in the toe box, you're more likely to encounter the black toenail thing- it's actually a blood blister that forms underneath the nail plate. The pressure from the blister builds up and your nail pops off as a result. Ick!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.