Sick of Salad

Roxie1965

Cathlete
Hey everyone Iam getting sick of salad no matter what I do to it I'm still bored. I was eating one for lunch everyday now I eat one as a snack, its the only way I can get all my veggies in. I work 9-5 an I only get 30 min for lunch. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Now that the weather's getting colder, can you switch to soup? I had some wonderful black bean soup for lunch today with a friend.... really filled me up on a chilly day!

I agree with Delfin. In the winter, I usually have soup for lunch. The place next door to my office makes great lentil vegetable soup.

Yes, soup is great! I would like to suggest the Progresso soups that are lite and 0 points according to Weight Watchers. Although be warned if you are a weight watcher and if you eat the whole can, it adds up to as much as 2 points. Anyway, here is what I do, I add more vegetables to the soup- like a can of green beans or asparagus. It's very filling and oh so good.

Good luck--I want through salad withdrawal last year after I got the flu, but now I am back at them with gusto! Although I do hate chopping up all those vegetables. So lazy!

Keli

I am a complete salad lover and thankfully, I hate salad dressing. I use salsa on my salads and they are oh-so-good!

I make a big ol' batch of veggie bean soup, and have that for lunch nearly every day. And I mix it up, make different types of soups, like potato soup with bits of shredded carrot, or throw in some cheese tortellinis in with the veggies, yummmmmm..........

You can get much more creative with salads than just a pile of lettuce and various other chopped veggies with a bit o' dressing.

I haven't checked it out, but I'll bet there are even some books at Amazon.com just with salad recipes in. You might want to pick one up and get some new ideas to change up your salads. www.vegsource.com is a vegetarian site, and there are recipes there, for salads and other veggie-rich foods.

Change up the type of veggies you use, the texture of them (shredded, diced, sliced, cut into sticks---I find that even the same food--like carrots---tastes a bit different when it is in a different form), and other preparation methods (ie: marinating rather than serving with dressing, dipping into a bean-based dip like hummus, etc.)

Fill celery 'boats' with a chickpea spread (I make mine by finely chopping red onions and garlic in a food processor, adding a can of drained and rinsed organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas), along with a glob of vegan mayo and/or prepared mustard and a bit of Celtic sea salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning. (no recipe, I just do it to taste). You can decrease the mayo by using another liquid of your choice.

Marinate some veggies (mushrooms, red pepper, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives...think "Italian") in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with italian seasoning (you can use very little or even no oil when marinating, and you can use any type of vinegar, or even citrus juice---lemon, lime or even orange--or pineapple juice to marinate).

Slice kale or other dark green leafies (the most nutritious veggies, with kale topping the charts at number 1!) into ribbons, briefly sauté in some olive oil and garlic, and serve as a side dish. (you can also just marinate this).

You can also add veggies to other foods to give them a phytonutrient boost. Wherever you can, add veggies:
Whenever you make a soup, chili or pasta sauce, throw in a handful of frozen mixed veggies (use a variety). Fresh baby spinich works well for pasta sauce (just throw in a bunch when you heat it up).

Make a pasta salad, but double or triple the amount of veggies vs. pasta.

Do you like potato salad? I make a 'green and red' potato salad, where potatoes are actually in smaller quantity than the peas, chopped red pepper, red onion and peas that I add to it.

Sauté a variety of veggies and add to cooked grains for a pilaf.

Put marinated veggies on a skewer and roast or cook on the barbecue.

I, for one, never get sick of a good salad (FYI: many restaurants DON'T serve what I would call a 'good salad'---iceberg lettuce-treated with whatever wilt- and browning-prevention chemical they use-- and a few slices of tasteless, hard tomatoes with a sprinkling of shredded carrots aren't my idea of a salad, in fact, the decorative kale many restaurants puts under the bowls of a salad bar looks tastier to me than most salads!). But I've been known to just wash a romaine heart and eat the leaves one by one, as what I call a 'hand salad'!

mmmm...hand salad!!!

Kathryn, I've gotten hungry just looking at your suggestions! I love adding nuts and fruits to romaine, arugula, spinach, etc. I rarely get tired of salads because I do them in such different ways, according to the season or my mood.

Thanks for the great new ideas!!!

I have salad for lunch pretty much every day & I don't think I'll ever get sick of them! The key is variety. I do a lot of store-bought salads, mostly from delis, but I also chop up a bunch of fixins every Sunday & store them in separate containers. That way I can mix & match.

So other than the typical lettuce, tomato, cukes & onions, I'll also chop up different cheeses, meats (like chicken, steak, eggs, tuna) & various other stuff I happen to find in the grocery store. Then I can mix & match whatever I feel like that day.

That's about the extent of my cooking skills. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.