shin pain

horseygirl

My son is currently in training for football-hell week where he trains 10+ hours per week -and last night he was slowed down with shin pain. Does anyone have any suggestions for stretches, exercises to help relieve the pain ?

When I was in track in high school I had severe shin splints. I iced and taped my shins, but no relief. I remember the pain well. My eyes would tear up after a race the pain was so bad. The only thing that works is to not do anything for awhile. I'm sure that's not what you or your son want to hear. A sports medicine doctor may have a remedy. I know this sucks for him, sorry I have nothing good to offer.:-(

There is one Cathe Video where she wedges the fitness ball on her shoelaces (sitting on the high step or a chair) and pushes against it. This works the muscles on the front of the leg/shins. I have had frequent shin pain/shin splints and doing this exercise has eliminated my pain. It also gives them a good stretch.

Just hope your fitness ball isn't pink!

I think the workout might be Push/Pull or Supersets? I will check for you.
Melissa

Thanks for the advice. Now you mention it, I also recall that exercise with the ball on the shoelaces. I think it might be PP but will have to check. We had him use his old cleats (more arch support) and applied ice prior to practice. It seemed to help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.