Running and sore hips

nbergren

Cathlete
Hi all

The other day I ran (or should I say jogged) 5 miles. I started out thinking I would kind of do an interval thing and it felt good so I kept jogging. Close to the end of my run my hips were a little achy and were through out the day. Now, I can see my feet or knees, but hips? Anyone else have this?

A little background on me... I am not much of a runner... I do it occasionally but not every week. I am , however, very fit and do Cathe almost daily.

Thanks for your educated replies!

Nancy

I have not personally had this problem (lots of shin & feet trouble, but not hips), but you MUST MUST MUST stretch before & after you run! It's very hard on your joints & stretching is essential to prevent injury.

There's a hip flexor stretch, also called a runner's stretch, that should help preventing this problem. Tough to describe (seen it in Cathe's Power Max) but perhaps a google search will give you a pic.

Thanks Maximus... but I did warm up and stretch for about 25 minutes after the run. And I do know the stretch you are talking about and I did do that one too.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

My hips get sore too when I first start jogging after a long time of not doing it. After that initial soreness you won't get sore there anymore. You're just using muscles you're not used to using with other exercises.

Mine get sore at times and it is funny how odd it feels when it happens. But you engage the muscle every time you take a step so it's seems perfectly reasonable to experience soreness after a 5 miler. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. :) The runner's stretch is my favorite. I also like "threading the needle", lying down and placing one ankle over the other knee and pulling the leg with the ankle resting on it toward you. It feels great and helps work the kinks out. As Dani said, the more you run, the less inclined toward soreness you'll become and way to go on running 5 miles!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

I did a couple sprints around the track last week when my kids were playing on the playground and the next day my hip was a little sore. I also don't run often. I think Dani and Bobbi are right. These are different muscles you are using. You know, another thing that I discovered is when I am running or sprinting my obliques are also a little sore the next day. It's amazing how many muscles you use when you run. Now if my shins could handle it, I would run more often.

Nancy, can you determine if your joints are sore or if it's muscular? And are you talking about the front of the hips?

All of your lower body joints take a pounding when you run; ankles, knees, hips, & even the lower back. Yes, I've gotten sore, actually injured, in the hip bone area.

Our joints have to be conditioned to the impact of running. Which is why a run/walk program helps condition our joints. Soft surfaces or a track are good choices for an occasional outdoor run. Cathe's cardio workouts may have you in awesome condition but it doesn't mean your joints are ready for pounding on asphalt, or worse, concrete. Running shorter distances would help too.

There are those that are perfectly engineered for running who can break all the training rules. And there are those that follow all the training rules who just can't take the impact. Most of us are in the middle, we have to train wisely and enjoy a very fun sport.

Oh, you were wearing running shoes weren't you? Not ones that you wear for chores & errands and might be a couple of years old? Most athletic shoes will work for an occasional run but you do want to run in a shoe that still has some cushion & support.

Sorry for being preachy. My hip injury took months to heal. Not only couldn't I run (to my dogs' dismay) but I couldn't cycle on hills. You don't want to go down that road!

Debra

Nancy,

How are your hips feeling? It sounds like a 5 mile run was a little much for not doing it every week. Because of the different muscles used.

I hope you are feeling better.

Beverly

Thanks for all the helpful and thoughtful responses. I am feeling fine and maybe it was (like you said) just too much. Sure felt good at the time. I will try shorter next time and see what happens.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.