Running

DaisyAnn

Cathlete
Good Morning to all. This is a question for the runners... When you are running five miles or more, is that on a treadmill? If so, how do you keep motivated to stay on that machine that long? I tend to get bored/ Do you watch TV/music? (I don't know if I get bored or just lazy, lol) :p

I have a very difficult time with boredom on the treadmill. I can run outdoors forever, but my longest treadmill run was 44 minutes and it was torture.

I think if I had the tv on, it might be a little easier. If I use the treadmill, it's at the Y and the tv sets aren't easy to see from the treadmills. Music makes it a little better, but it's still very boring for me. It's weird because the time usually flies for me when I'm running outside.

Erica

I watch the tv when I run at the gym. But they have a tv at every cardio machine so it makes it easier. Yesterday I was watching Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends while running, and was laughing out loud! The people around me must have thought I was crazy, smiles so big while running.

I can do long runs on the treadmill, but I have to either watch TV or listen to the radio. Also, I constantly change the speed and incline to keep things interesting. Before I begin, I determine certain time/distance cycles and I adjust my incline/speed accordingly throughout the workout. Doing so always gives me something to look forward to...the time flies and before you know it, an hour has gone by.

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/created/39583717.gif[/IMG][/URL]
(fitxme)
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

I am like Erica, I can run outside all day and be fine. I don't need any music, nature is just awesome enough as is. On the treadmill though - blech! I only do my shorter runs and interval training on the treadmill, and I always watch a movie or tv to keep my mind off of the fact that I am running like a madwoman yet going nowhere, and to keep my eyes off of the screen to see how much farther I have to go. I watched the first half of The Count of Monte Cristo yesterday. ;) All of my long runs are outside, though. :)

Missy

Yes, Marietta, I do the same thing! I have to changvge up the speed about every lap, to every other. Or I just get bored. This helps me to run for up to 45 min. Then again, for some of it I'm speed walking, so that helps too. I'm trying to work my way back up to just running all of it.

Kathy

I have never run on a treadmill since I do all my running outside. But I have used an elliptical for extended periods of time though. I just watch TV. But I think what helps me go for an hour or more on that thing is my attitude. I'm on it to supplement my running and since I have certain goals I'm aiming for then it's a part of training. I don't know how successful I would be if I were doing cardio just for the sake of doing cardio.

I go low tech on a machine for more than 20 minutes... I don't watch TV or anything, don't listen to anything, just RUN. :) I need to keep my towel over the display, though, because if I don't zone out I'm miserable. Keeping myself from looking at the display is my magic solution...

I am going to try covering up the display..That is a good idea. I find myself just staring at it. I have a love/hate relationship with running... Sometimes I run and feel so strong and other times just plain blah blah blah...x(

I could never run for long on a treadmill until I get Cardio Coach. With Cardio Coach, since you are always changing the intensity and listening to cues, the time goes by very quickly. There are five (or six) different versions ranging from 30 minutes to about 55 minutes. You may want to give them a shot. I now longer have the dread factor when running on the treadmill.

Well, I'll start by saying I did my 18 mile tarining run (for my marathon) on the treadmill. Forced indoors by weather and babysitting issues, I was determined to get the long run in. LOL

I've done it all. Started by watching TV. Then movies, until I had a WIERD experience with Harry Potter, the treadmill and the feeling that I was playing Quidditch in the movie! LOL. Then bought an mp3 player and listened to music. I've recently been listening to an audio book. I've varied the incline, the speed, holding handwieghts, not hold handweights. I've covered the console, I've studied that darn thing too many times! LOL Whatever works.

I'm about to buy CArdio Coach to try it out. Good reviews from these baords.

BUT........the weather is GORGEOUS so I take the little time I have alone and run outdoors whenever possible.

Gayle

I must have music or treadmill running is way too boring. Also, I've been watching the TV on silent while I use music in the headphones.

I recently downloaded Cardio Coach, and it isn't too bad. You can hear a sample of it on the website.

What I REALLY love right now is Podfitness.com You must have a PC with the new version of itunes and podfitness mixer downloaded (easy to do!) and you can pick a treadmill program to mix with your own music that you put into itunes. So now I can run to a treadmill program with a minute, speed, incline, and form que, but with my favorite songs! So far all of my podfitness downloads have included Pat Benatar's "all fired up" and Heart's "How can I refuse"...oh man, I have lots of good stuff on these downloads..like Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, Beth Hart, Tom Petty, Van Halen, etc..etc... see? it's so exciting to mix my own music to the workout that I can just run and run....:p

Thomasina

I watch tv and listen to music. However, if I can run outside...that is where you will find me!

As for "good" days and "bad" days...par for the course! It all depends on your diet the past few day, how you have slept the past few nights, your hydration, your mood/attitude. Example...I have been in a totally crappy mood for the past few days (running coach needs a smack and busy with stuff I don't want to do) so my morning run today was a challenge.

Setting some concrete goals and focusing on those goals can help a lot when getting through a tough run...regardless of distance. I've had awesome 15 mile runs that I never wanted to end and then horrible 4 mile runs that seemed like forever.

Study the factors and keep track of them. It makes it easier (and so much fun) to manipulate in the future!

Have a good run!

I find when I have plenty of time and don't need to rush off to something else, I can let my mind wander on the treadmill. I do have music on, and a TV is in the process of FINALLY being put up in the room we moved the treadmill to, so I'll go back to having both on at the same time.

When pressed for time, like yesterday, I wanted to at least get a 30 minute run in at lunch and do upper body last night, and I SWEAR 30 minutes felt like 2 hours! And I agree with Sarah about mood; however, I find when I'm in a crappy mood (like right now x() I run better. Kinda like kickboxing when I'm mad}(

Brandi

http://www.picturetrail.com/jackieboy

I watch tv to help with the boredom. Sometimes my mind is telling my body you can't run that long. So, the body wants to stop. I like using IFit and that really helps pass the time.

My favorite thing to do while on the elyptical or doing lunges is watch a good movie. It keeps my attention and the time just flies!

Outdoors by the creek will always be the best though . . .;)

Running 5 miles for me is a easy run these days, hopefully for it will be for you someday as well!:)
When I get pass the 3 mile mark i am usually pretty good, but I do watch t.v, have music or play my tetris game:) Its just a small hand held game I have had for about 2 yrs now.

When I go longer distances like 8-12 miles..I am usually watching a movie.Most movies are 90-120 min long and if its a interesting movie time goes by rather quickly.
Lori:)

I have a treadmill at home in the basement with all my other workout equipment and don't use it much becuase it is very boring for me. I am using it more now to build up my base for when the nicer weather comes along.

I have tried using my MP3 player (but I am always playing with the darn thing to put on certain songs), but it is more of a distraction than anything, so I am not focused when running with it on. I have several tv shows on DVD (like Scubs, Home Improvement) but find it's too hard to hear no matter how loud I turn up the stereo that is hooked up to the tv. My treadmill is older and kind of loud.

So, one day I couldn't decide between Imax 2 (tons of fun, fun, fun) or a run on the treadmill (BORING!!!). It seemed like a real tough choice...LOL, but I decided to run while I was watching and listening to Cathe and crew doing Imax 2. I was motivated to stay on the treadmill for a 50 minute run because of the great music and it was also fun because I did running intervals on the treadmill as they were doing them on the video. The only thing was that I was jealous because one shouldn't do any of the step combos while on a moving treadmill...hee! hee! Imagine that disaster!

It may seem a little weird, but try it. I think you'll enjoy it. I probably won't ever run on the treadmill without watching Imax 2 while I am running.

Webbgirl

I powerwalk 5 miles on my treadmill. I tape a whole bunch of shows each week, mostly on fitness-related stuff or What Not To Wear. Then I put on closed captioning so that I can watch TV and listen to music at the same time. I've done this for years now and have yet to be bored. Oh, and at one point before I figured out that I could watch tv, I listened to audio tapes and learned Russian. :)

Thanks so much for the input. I put on "Hottest Bodies" VH1 and made it through a 3 mile run! That is good for me. I am working up to 6. I am going to try the suggestions and I think if I watch Cathe while I am running I will meet my goal quickly!;-)

(the best way I stay focused is looking at all the pics you guys have on your pic, trails!) Thanks so much again.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.