Runners...& Leanbean67

Roses

Cathlete
When you said the "best thing to help leg turnover and speed is speed work, i.e. running timed intervals on a track". Exactly what are you guys doing?

I'd like to try this on the track here at the high school but don't know exactly what to do...TIA

Sami

The goal of this is to get your feet used to spending less time in the ground with each step. Running timed intervals on a track would be setting aside 1 minute to sprint/run fast and then 1 minute of slow jogging/walking. Kind of like an Imax...

HTH

Sami...I don't use a track but I still have done speedwork. For intervals I warm up running about 10 min easy, then sprint for 90 seconds, then jog for 3 minutes. I repeat that for the amount of intervals I want to do. I also do what I call a "ladder" using a heart rate monitor. I warm up and for about 10 min again running easy, then I subtract 40 beats from my max heart rate, which is 143 for me, I run watching my HR keeping it in the range of 143-148, after 5 minutes I go up the range to 148-153, holding there for 5 minutes, I repeat the 5 minutes, 5 beats for 25 minutes til I am at 163-168 then I go back down the ladder 5 beats for 5 minutes. Hope this makes sense. You might want to post in the Runner's check-in and ask everyone what kind of speedwork they do...:)

Hi!

There's a lot of different ways to incorporate speed work into your runs. For example, here's this week's speed workout:

1 mile w/up

14 laps running hard on the straight aways and jog the corners

2 / 200 s hard 200 recovery

1 mile cool down

I like this because it's individual. In a group "running hard" will be interpreted to mean different things by every individual.

Or a 1 mile warm up. Then do 12/400 m with a two minute recovery after each 400m. Finish with a 1 mile cool down.

Another "laid back" route to speed work is to run with your Ipod of music maker of choice, running much faster for half or a full song, then pulling back for the next song.

Or "cresting" which consists of running hard on the uphills until you're over the crest of the hill, then slowing down for the downhill and the recovery. The idea of this is to push hard and push past where one would normally stop or slow down, until past the crest of the hill.

Hope this helps.

Bean

I finally got to check in today...Thanks so much Amy, Carole & Bean.

I printed this off. I'm definitely going to try the ladder approach and the speedwork on the track is something I definitely want to tackle this weekend and next week while I'm on Spring Break.

Thanks Again!!

Sami

I finally got to check in today...Thanks so much Amy, Carole & Bean.

I printed this off. I'm definitely going to try the ladder approach and the speedwork on the track is something I definitely want to tackle this weekend and next week while I'm on Spring Break.

Thanks Again!!

Sami

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.