Runners...ice bath ? for you...

I have read and heard several times that an ice bath after a long runhas many perks. It was even mentioned in the latest issue of Runners World (Page 52 very bottom). I have done it a few times and agree that the 15-20 minutes of hell is worth the amazing feeling afterwards.

My question is this...how long after your long run should you get in the ice bath? Is there a point where you have to say "Ah, it's too late after my run...why bother"...at what point do you reach that conclusion?

See, after my long run, I stretch for a long time, chit chat with others in my group and then drive 25 minutes home. By then, I am starving and want (need) to eat. I may not be able to dip into the "bath o' hell" for a good 90-120 minutes after my run is over! Is it too late to reap the rewards?? Or am I better off just showering up and taking a nap (the norm for me)

OMG you have GOT to do the ice bath!!!! It really is a miraculous, terrible thing. But so worth it, somehow!!! I've even taken one after Imax 3. Anything over 8 miles puts me in the tub.

I think the "cutoff" time is something like 30 minutes. If you wait too long, your muscles are already inflamed so you won't get maximum benefits. But then again, it couldn't hurt to try it out!!

I've done them both ways: cold water only, and cold water with ice. I don't see much difference, save for being able to feel my toes... :p

Give it a try to see how it goes for you to take one later. I generally jump right in (shirt ON) and have something to drink and something to eat while I'm sitting in the tub. DH is such a sweetie, he helps me in, gets the cats to come entertain me while I'm in there trying to remember to breathe, LOL. You'll want to take a warm shower after you've been in approx 10 minutes since you'll be so cold, so figure that time in, too.

Oh wow, just the memories of plunging into these have me gasping!

This is a great question and one that I have wondered about a few times. I may not be much help on a technical answer to your question but I have done ice baths up to 1.5 - 2 hours after a long run and I still benefitted from them. I had the same issue of stretching and talking after the run and then a 45 minute drive back up the hill, only to arrive starving. I would take a snack to have to hold you over until the ice plunge is completed. Oh, and the naps are a must!

By the way Sarah, you're such an inspiration to me to keep going on getting back into my groove! Thanks!

Thomasina

I agree, Sarah, your posts are making me long for the ice baths... somehow... }( :7

I've been wondering about these baths. LOL. I've never taken one. I'm scared, to be honest. At first when I heard "ice bath", I thought they couldn't POSSIBLY be telling me to put my ENTIRE body into COLD water/ice! YIKES! LOL

Gayle

I think you guys are freaking nuts-LOL!!!! I have heard that this is beneficial, but no way jose, not for me.

catherine

I've never been brave enough to do the bath. I do the "run freezing cold water on my legs in the shower" thing. That's as close as I'm willing to get. In the winter, anyway.:p

Well with all the cold rain we have does running in an ice bath count...???...I get cold easily and doing an ice bath just sounds awful except in the summer. I wonder how many hours after it would take me to warm up....I really an a wuss when I get cold....:(

When I do them, I take a shower right afterwards...nice warm shower! As dreadful as it sounds, it's not that bad! I don't use freezing cold water, I make it tolerable but I do shiver the whole time. I seem to laugh a lot when I do it...I think because I know I am nuts! My DH is very sweet and entertains me. He loads up the Garmin information and brings the laptop in and shows me all the info on my latest run. The kids come in and ask why I am taking a cold bath with a sweatshirt on. They try to get in with me until they realize it is a cold bath!!:7 :7 :7

Upon your posts, I have decided to do them after my longer runs...at least until I get through this marathon. 32 more days!!!

Ice baths? Yikes. Isn't running long distance enough punishment for you guys? It's all I can do to splash cold water on my face, much less submerge myself in ice water. You guys are tuff.

You can't get sick from being in cold water. Colds come from a virus.

If you've ever experienced the pain in your legs the day of or after a long run (double digit miles), then believe me, you'd be leaping in the cold water too.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.