Questions re: cutting out/down sugar...

lmn2

Hi,
I have a major sweet tooth, but I would like to make a serious attempt to significantly cut down my sugar intake. Can anyone (preferably a fellow sweet toother! :) ) give me any advice on the following:

1. How long was your "withdrawal" period?
2. What do your typical meals/snacks look like?
3. Has cutting down on sugar benefitted you?
4. Do you still indulge in foods or beverages containing sugar
substitutes?

Thanks in advance!
Laura :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-01-01 AT 06:21PM (Est)[/font][p]I have a major sweet tooth also. What I did when I cut out sugar is I buy sugar free Jello and Pudding. And top it off with a little squirt of whipped cream in a can. It really helped me. I know I feel better without sugar. I don't have those highs and lows. I do indulge once in a while on Diet Coke.
I watch labels closely for sugar content. I also had to make sure there was no candy, cookies ect... in my house because if there was I would fall off the non-sugar wagon.

Good Luck
SusanR

Hi Laura! I too have a major sweet tooth! It's difficult to cut out the sugar but if I did it, so can you! I do indulge every morning in a flavored coffee and this seems to have helped me. I cut out drinking all sodas. I will, however, have some orange juice with my breakfast. Try to drink only water in the beginning. What's worked for me is snacking on Triscuit crackers w/peanut butter, cottage cheese w/pineapple. Eating cottage cheese is a great way to get in more protein and the more protein you consume, the less sugar you'll crave. I also snack on protein bars by Twinlab. You also have to eat more fruit. Because you see the more sugar you consume, the more your body wants it. Has to do with your insulin level. I'm sure you'll get a lot of other suggestions from this educated crowd. It's tough in the beginning but try it. Good luck! Kathy

I find that foods with the sugar substitutes still trigger sugar craving for me and result in overeating. I try to eat fruit when I get sugar carvings and if that does not work I usually eat a graham cracker or a bit of sorbet. I think it is impossible to cut it out completely without feeling deprived. Every time I try to cut it out completely, the issue looms big and I end up overdoing it. For me the best stategy is to keep reminding myself that sugary things are always available, but I am in control. If I really want it, I can have it, but I must limit the amount and frequency. Also, I never eat sugary things instead of meals or as solo, otherwise I find problems with my blood sugar getting to high or low. I usually eat them after other healthy choices.

I have always had a craving for sugar...any binges always were sugar oriented. I truly believe that sugar does nothing good for your body. It loads you up with empty calories and hinders weight loss and/or weight maintenance.

I found a pretty good food plan outlined in a book written by local doctors here in New Orleans. It is called "Sugar Busters" and it has helped me tremendously. I find that if I can go without sweets for a few days the desire for them diminishes. If you can't find this publication, e-mail me and I will help you get it.

However, I did deviate from the Sugar Busters menus in one teeny tiny little way...for breakfast, after my morning workout I make a protein shake that is absolutely wonderful. It is so rich and tastes so great I look forward to having it and it satisfies my need for sweets. However, it does not have sugar. Pretty good, huh? It is called Myoplex Light. Comes in three different flavors, Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. The powder is put in a blender. It contains 190 calories. It also has 50% of your daily requirements for protein as well as most vitamins and minerals. No empty calories in this puppy.

I use 1 cup cold water, 1/2 cup skim milk, three or four frozen strawberries (the kind with no sugar added) and a few ice cubes. Throw it all in your blender and you're done. Really fills me up. I don't get any mid morning munchies. In fact, I have to remind myself to eat something for lunch several hours later because I don't feel very hungry.

Myoplex is sold locally at places that make Smoothies. However, I found it on a website and it was cheaper to order it on the internet.

If you are interested, e mail me and I will dig up the information for you.

My e mail address is: [email protected]

Where did you find the Mypolex Lite shakes cheap? I tried them and they were wonderful but they are so exspensive I bought Carb Solutions. I don't like them and they are not as nutritious but I down them anyways.

Thanks! My email is [email protected]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.