Question for Maribeth-Workout for an Endo

ss's girl

Hi Maribeth,
On another thread you addressed fast and slow twitch fibers and recommended workouts for different body types. I was wondering if you could suggest something for me based on the following information:

I am 5'4 weigh 135 and carry most of my fat in the middle. I am defiantely an endo: short, lots of fat, hard to lose weight, etc.

I started running recently and have noticed a difference in my legs and abs. I am currently doing Cathe's 16 week max weight loss rotation.

I beleive I probably have a majority of slow twitch fibers altho I do put on muscle fairly easy it's just hard to see it through all the fat. For instance, I have a "2 pack" but can't seem to get beyond that.

I am doing weight watcher's and it's working OK but after reading the thread where Aquajock blasted weight loss progtrams I don't know.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help us all!

Debbi

Hey, Debbi,
Tell me why you think you are primarily slow twitch if you put on muscle mass fairly easily? This is usually a trait of someone with high fiber density and a predominance of fast twitch fibers.

I don't think A-jock was blasting healthy eating, just the obsession so many people have with "clean eating"--a term that will send me into orbit if I hear again anytime soon!

Annette's point was that if more people would just not fixate on every morsel they ate and concentrate their efforts on intense training and eating in moderation, many issues with excess storage fat would take care of themselves. I couldn't agree more.

I do think that the RDA for protein is a bit low, especially for athletes engaged in heavy duty strenth training where muscle protein synthesis is essential. But as for low carb diets or low fat diets or avoiding sugar or eating as many sticks and twigs as possible--no way--life's too short to not eat a cookie!

Sorry--I went off on a rant. Back to your training routine--just how easily do you put on muscle mass? Fat loss is all about maximizing metabolic rate and the primary means to do so is to build calorie burning muscle.

Take care!
Maribeth

Re: the term "clean eating"

Maribeth, I'm afraid that on these forums you will be seeing the term "clean eating" quite a bit, since Cathe herself began to use the term to describe a way of eating that she follows, without going into great detail about a prescribed diet of any sort.

She is constantly flooded with questions about how she looks the way she does - how she exercises and what she eats, and she will say that a "clean diet" is important.

So, if you do not want to be sent "into orbit," I suggest you not go to the Ask Cathe forum in particular, because you're bound to see it again and again.

Just Do It! :)

RE: Re: the term "clean eating"

Honeybunch,
This forum is hardly the only place I hear the "clean eating" phrase--my point is that obsessing about it is a mistake.

My comment was a humorous observation on the obsession.
Maribeth

Hey Maribeth,

In my house growing up, the definition of "clean eating" was washing your hands before putting them in the cookie jar!!!

FitnessRN :9

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-02 AT 05:29PM (Est)[/font][p]FitnessRN,
THAT kind of clean eating I can live with!! :7
Maribeth

RE: clean eating

Maribeth,
I couldn't agree more with your statement! But, I am looking forward to your answer to the original question as I'm built exactly the same way. I have muscle mass, though, and likewise, need to burn away the fat layer. I find that doing more cardio than most people is one way of making progress. It's frustrating. I find that I also need to eat less, but higher in protein. Calories in, calories out. If this is what you'd call "being on the right track" then, I'm probably going to cry. All cardio and no treats makes a girl crazy!
Thanks for all your help and input on this forum.
Amy

MAribeth,

I guess I could put on muscle pretty easy if I am good with eating and could lose the layer of fat I have. I have noticed that if I incorporate more cardio into my workouts I lose the fat but don't get the muscle definition I like. MAybe I need more cross training? I went on a running jag for about 4 months and noticed I was getting trimmer in my stomache but it got boring so I switched to the 16 Week Max Rotation as follows (repeat the 4 weeks 4 times in a row):
WEEK ONE:

Mon..... Cardio Kicks
Tues....PS BBA plus a 30 minute walk/run interval program. (A seven-minute walking warm up followed by seven/four minutes cycles where you run for 3 minutes and walk for one minute). Then cool down and stretch.
Wed..... Power Max
Thurs....Interval Max
Fri..... Off
Sat..... PS SL&A
Sun..... PS CST Plus the cardio portion of Xpress Step & Intervals.

WEEK TWO:
Mon: MIC
Tues: MIS
Wed: Off
Thurs: Step Fit
Fri: MIS
Sat: A 40 minute walk run workout. Aim to run more than walk. Then cool down and stretch.
Sun: Circuit Max

WEEK THREE:
The Cross Train Express series in the order of your choice. But separate the Power Circuit video from the Leaner Legs video. Seventh day is OFF.

WEEK FOUR:
Mon: Biking for 45 minutes (if you are including some hills, then 35 minutes). Cool Down and stretch.
Tues: Step Works
Wed: PS BBA plus a 30-minute interval run/walk workout.
Thurs: PS CST Plus the same bike routine as Monday.
Fri: PS L/A
Sat: OFF
Sun: Body Max

I am getting a little fatigued (I am in week 12) but am trying to lose a little more weight before the end of the month as I am going to St. Lucia.

So let me know what you think. I would be curious to hear mor of your thoughts on the whole low carb issue. I am 45 and have been thinking of giving up sugar and processed foods (Frozen dinners, skinny cows, etc.) to see what that effect has on me. I am definately a sugar addict-I don't eat a lot on a regular basis but when I treat my self I tend to go overboard!

Thanks so much!!!
Debbi

Maribeth,

I don't usually post here, but I just had to reply to this.

I respectfully disagree with your statement that "life's too short to not eat a cookie." Maybe that works for you, but for some people, including me, eating any kind of sugar (besides fresh fruit) is a recipe for disaster. I'm a compulsive overeater, and if I eat anything with any significant amount of added sugar, I will start bingeing uncontrollably despite my best intentions. I am certain that I am physically addicted to it. I quit eating it four years ago, and I will never go back. This is what works for me; everyone is different. Your blanket statement about sugar really touched a nerve.

However, I couldn't agree more that the RDA for protein is generally too low for athletes.

Just my opinion.

Tonya

Tonya,
To each his own. My contention is that there is no science to back up the idea that eating limited amounts of "treat foods" sabatages any healthy eating plan. And after working in fitness for 23 years now, I have to agree with the science.

Yes, I can relate to having one cookie and wanting 10. I can also relate to wanting to do nothing but lie on the couch and watch soaps all day. But it's all about moderation.

To people who say they can't eat limited amounts of sugar, salt, licorice, M&M's--whatever the case may be, I can understand avoiding them--but these are the exception rather than the rule. However, if it works for them, go for it.
My point is that everybody doesn't have to live this way to be trim and fit.

What works for me is to get my required nutrients in the proper ratios, enjoy the leftover calories in fun foods, and bust my buns in the gym. The method is supported by science and at 41, my body fat is about 18 percent, so I'm doing pretty good.

Keep up the good work on yourself, though!
Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.