Question about stability ball exercises.......

Calico

Cathlete
I do have a question for those that do stability ball weight work.

When you are laying face down on the ball and doing say reverse flys for back, do you have to raise your chest up so that the dumbbells don't hit the floor? If I lay with my chest on the ball my arms are too long and the dumbbells hit the floor and I can't correctly execute the move. Some of the pictures I found for these exercises showed the chest up and other with it down. Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks

:7

Hi, Annette.

When you're lying face-down on the ball to do back flyes, the weights shouldn't touch the ground. You can either change your postion (to one where you're tilted a bit more, with chest higher than butt), use a larger ball (though at some point, the ball interfers with the ROM of the dumbells), or shorten the range of motion at the bottom of the move, which wouldn't be a bad idea, because it keeps tension on the muscle.

If none of these feel comfortable, or lead to back stress, I'd get off the ball, put one knee on it, and bend over and do the move that way (for an unstable environment), or just stand and bend forward (more stability), or sit on a high step or chair to do the move (most stability). The less stable the move, the more the core has to work, and the lighter the weight has to be. The more stable, the less core work, and the heavier you can lift.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.