Programming Note: Heaven

sparrow

Cathlete
We've had some religious chats here so I though some Catheites might be interested in watching this. I saw a promo and thought it looked good, though I could do without the celebrity opinions (insert rolling eyes here)

ABC News Presents a Barbara Walters Special: Heaven, Where Is It? How Do We Get There?
ABC Dec 20 09:00pm
Special/Other, 120 Mins.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I thought it was interesting the add said: "Tune in for the answers". Barbara and her guests know everything, LOL! Maybe they have direct access.

I saw something about that last night. I don't know if I'll watch it or not. Frankly, I'm not concerned about where heaven is located, and based on my reading of scripture, I'm sure I know how to get there. I think the more interesting question is, where is hell and how do we avoid it?}(

Michele

I may tape it since all my shows went off or are going off - the Apprentice, Three Wishes and Biggest Loser, and this is the last week for Martha Apprentice! I DO still have Extreme Makeover Home Edition. I'm almost glad I go to bed early - there's nothing to watch!
Just Do It! :)

LOL, Michele.

As an atheist I'm highly interested in receiving a heavenly road map... :p

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Sparrow...just wanted to say me too!

If you really want one, I'll gladly let you have the "road map" my family keeps trying to give to me. *ugh*

}(

I think the more interesting question
>is, where is hell and how do we avoid it?}(

LOL, Michele!

I agree with your other point, too. We'll know where it is and what it is like when we get there! I don't think any of us really have a clue as to how wonderful it is, either. When I was a little girl, I used to think that it would be full of horses and angels to play baseball with me. :D I know that it is 100,000,000x more wonderful than that or any other amazing thoughts we could have.

As for watching it, I didn't know a thing about it until now! :)

Missy

>LOL, Michele.
>
>As an atheist I'm highly interested in receiving a heavenly
>road map... P
>
>Sparrow
>
>
>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
>arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
>rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn
>out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Let me see---heavenly road maps---hmmm...
1. C. S. Lewis - you would LOVE Screwtape Letters
2. Francis Schaeffer - How Should We Then Live
3. Watchman Nee - The Normal Christian Life

Again, I predict that you would love these books, regardless of your religious persuasion---or lack there of. These are the best Christian writers of our time IMO. They totally turned me around. Don't waste your time on Barbara WA WA--pick up one of these books instead. Even an atheist would appreciate the intellectual stimulation. ;)

Michele

I think the more interesting question
>is, where is hell and how do we avoid it?}(
>
>Michele

if its according to the gospel of jerry falwell followers(we happen to share the same city as mr.falwell) i am going there in a hand basket. so let it be with my gnostic and kabbalah scriptures in one hand and my dumbbell in the other.

just kidding.i am quite a spiritual person and choose to keep my soul and mind open to all faiths. i love when others love to talk to me about there faiths i just don't like being told i am wrong or a bad person b/c i choose not to go THEIR way.

but of all my studies it boils down to be a good person,love your neighbor,money is the root of all evil,show generosity and kindness. well you get the picture.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

>just kidding.i am quite a spiritual person and choose to keep
>my soul and mind open to all faiths. i love when others love
>to talk to me about there faiths i just don't like being told
>i am wrong or a bad person b/c i choose not to go THEIR way.
>
>but of all my studies it boils down to be a good person,love
>your neighbor,money is the root of all evil,show generosity
>and kindness. well you get the picture.
>
>
>kassia
>
>
>
>When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people
>will be
>disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Well put, Kassia. I agree completely. I'm a Christian but there's nothing I find more discouraging than someone who tries to shove their beliefs down your throat. I have friends of all stripes!!

Michele

I believe it is all in the Bible - inspired by God. So I know how I am able to go to heaven and no matter what I do that will not change.

I hope no one thinks I am jamming this into anyone. I am only stating my beliefs as you all have.

I hope Barbara is able to shed light on this subject for people who are seeking Heaven.

Have a blessed Christmas to all people of all faiths!

jooge

>I hope no one thinks I am jamming this into anyone. I am only
>stating my beliefs as you all have.
>
>
>Have a blessed Christmas to all people of all faiths!
>
>jooge
>

merry christmas jooge. its great we can all share our beliefs without being persacuted(sp?). thank god(which ever one we all believe in) that we live in a free country to express and respect each other.

kassia

Uh oh, I better record this one. I will need to take notes and study it over and over. ;) I am rolling my eyes with ya on the celebrity opinions, but it could be pretty good.

I hope I get to hang with my fellow Catheites when I arrive in Heaven!

ETA: I am rolling my eyes, I have two. :)

Autumn

>>LOL, Michele.
>>
>>As an atheist I'm highly interested in receiving a heavenly
>>road map... P
>>
>>Sparrow
>>
>>
>>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
>>arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
>>rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn
>>out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter
>Sage
>
>
>
>Let me see---heavenly road maps---hmmm...
>1. C. S. Lewis - you would LOVE Screwtape Letters
>2. Francis Schaeffer - How Should We Then Live
>3. Watchman Nee - The Normal Christian Life
>
>Again, I predict that you would love these books, regardless
>of your religious persuasion---or lack there of. These are the
>best Christian writers of our time IMO. They totally turned me
>around. Don't waste your time on Barbara WA WA--pick up one of
>these books instead. Even an atheist would appreciate the
>intellectual stimulation. ;)
>
>Michele
>
>

Interesting! While thinking of these books I realized that I have read alot about religion - but not much about Christianity specifically. I went to Catholic boarding school as a teenager but beyond that, most of my religious investigation has had to do with Islam, Judaism, Wicca ad Mormonism. I'd never realized that.

I truly envy people with faith. It's something I have searched for through most of life but for whatever reasons, the leap is not mine to make.

As for Conni wondering about Tom Cruise, egads I hope not! The commercial showed Imams, Rabbis and Reverends, not fruit loops....

Sparrow

>Is this another opportunity for Tom Cruise to jump on a sofa
>and spout about Scientology?

well HE does KNOW everything remember LOL

kassia

>Interesting! While thinking of these books I realized that I
>have read alot about religion - but not much about
>Christianity specifically. I went to Catholic boarding school
>as a teenager but beyond that, most of my religious
>investigation has had to do with Islam, Judaism, Wicca ad
>Mormonism. I'd never realized that.
>
>I truly envy people with faith. It's something I have
>searched for through most of life but for whatever reasons,
>the leap is not mine to make.
>
>As for Conni wondering about Tom Cruise, egads I hope not! The
>commercial showed Imams, Rabbis and Reverends, not fruit
>loops....
>
>Sparrow
>
>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
>arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
>rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn
>out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Sparrow,

I was raised Catholic and had 12 years of Catholic education. You would've thought I joined up with Jim Jones and the Koolaid gang when I switched to nondenominational Christianity--LOL! My mom was ready to send me out for deprogramming. I went from Catholicism to Agnosticism, to Christianity. It was a very long journey but a really good one!

ETA spelling corrections--I got this habit from Nancy--LOL!

Michele

Hehehe! We probably all just need some vitamin supplementation per Tom Cruise and we are on our way. Hey, he has probably researched this and KNOWS! Just as he KNOWS soooooo very much about mental health... particularly postpartum depression. You should hear my best friend, a DON (Director of Nursing) at a mental health center, rip Mr. Cruise. I asked her if they had dc'd the patient meds and started vitamin supplements. }( Did that ever get her going! :)

i am sure he would tell me my daughter needs a good diet and exercise for her autism. well buddy we DID try that, guess what after a year and half we have to face facts that there were other issues so yes i made the difficult choice and set my beliefs aside to help my daughter. b/c sorry "rain-man" isn't the true face of autism in this household. you tell a child to run a lap when she is banging her head on the wall.

so mr.cruise can put that in his pipe and smoke it

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.