Power of 10?

LizC7

Cathlete
So I started reading this because of another post and am intrigued. I always thought I wasn't resting enough and it might be counterproductive as well as possibly not eating right/enough. However, I usually exercise for stress relief as well as just loving Cathe's workouts. Is it possible to incorporate the Power of 10 into a 4-5 day workout routine (instead of 6-7)? Do I just do that and some HIIT workouts? I do love Cathe's weight training though! Help!

When I did the program a few years ago, I did a four day split. No momentum, it's all you. Got great results. Give it a try. I'm an experimenter, I'll try anything once. More often if I get results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't hurt that my DH was a bicycle racer, so our home is equipped with a full gym. We have been lifting for so long that making up our own rotation is easy.

So I started reading this because of another post and am intrigued. I always thought I wasn't resting enough and it might be counterproductive as well as possibly not eating right/enough. However, I usually exercise for stress relief as well as just loving Cathe's workouts. Is it possible to incorporate the Power of 10 into a 4-5 day workout routine (instead of 6-7)? Do I just do that and some HIIT workouts? I do love Cathe's weight training though! Help!

From the book, it's really not something you combine with anything, if you follow it.

If you modify though you can use the same technique, and do something like Cathe's Slow & Heavy. For slow lifting, whether or not you're going to full failure, combining that with workouts like kickboxing or step is a good fit, IMO.

I did a rotation of Slow & Heavy with Low Max - Rhythmic Step, Imax 2 & Step Max, alternating days, lifting, stepping.

For variety, you could use a kick boxing workout, I think the emphasis I would put on it is not Hiit, but speed instead (I always think of kickbox as more speed type workouts). With step you also have a different, focus, which could be speed or coordination with Cathe's more choreographed step workouts. I'd like to see Cathe do something circuit-like combining KBX & Step sometime, like the Body blast days.

The reason I wouldn't have Hiit (in the over the top way), as in basic movements at high intensity, is that with the slow heavy lifting, to failure or almost failure you're already stressing the muscles to exhaustion, the cardio Kickboxing or step gives them a break, and puts the mind to work instead, people so underestimate the benefits of low intensity cardio, like active recovery, balance, ROM, & endurance.

Even low intensity Kicboxing can be challenging used with heavier lifting if you have to stick with the beat, and follow the moves. I like some of Cathe's latest like Rockout Knockout & Party Rockin' Step 1 & 2 fit the bill nicely. Or something from 4DS?

:)

Maybe desertambrosia can share her rotation with us?

BTW, I'm 3 weeks into a CLX rotation, I think you mentioned something about that a while back. I like it a lot, she alternates slow lifting, with circuit style HIIT & lighter weight endurance focused lifting.

I had to look back at my Crossfire & To The Max stats, CLX Burn Intervals & Burn it Off are right up there in intensity.

Chalean's Turbo series' aren't really my cup of tea, but I'm liking the CLX workouts a lot. It's definitely a right place - right time kind of system for me, anyway.

Like I said, I'm an experimenter. Occasionally, I will follow the "rules," but most of the time I do what works for me. I read the book "Power of 10," and wanted to try it with a four day split. I divided it into upper body and lower body. I chose two sometimes three different exercises for each upper body part, and at least three exercises for each lower body part depending on how long I wanted to work out. Monday upper body, Tuesday lower, Wednesday rest. Then repeat for Thursday and Friday. Did cardio on Saturday. On lifting days, I did a short yoga or pilates after lifting. Like the book reads. Ten seconds to lift the weight, and 10 seconds to lower the weight. I chose different exercises for each body part every week. Lots of variety. I'm glad I tried it, I may try it again. It takes time and concentration. I suggest using this method when you have some time to workout. If your mornings are rushed, I would not recommend this method.

An add on: The book states to workout once a week. I can't just workout once a week. I chose splitting the body upper and lower, so that upper body was resting when lower body was working, and lower body was resting when I was working upper body. I think I wrote a book, but I hope it all helps.

From what I read, power of 10 doesn't take much time, no warm up, only 2 minutes or so per exercise, if you're lifting to failure. Only 6 exercises, and they're to be done back to back. that could be as little as 15 minutes, twice a week to start, then once.

But that would be maximum intensity, and from what I gather, best done on machines. I think I'll attempt the home version at some point.

desertambrosia, did you do more exercises? rest more? or was it just he pilates & yoga that lengthened the workout?

I agree though, it would take a lot of focus, and trips to the gym if you do it that way. that could be time consuming.

I would do at least two sometimes three exercises per muscle group. Three for chest, three for back etc. so my workout was longer than 30 minutes, not by much. It was never a marathon workout. Your constantly moving. So, a morning workout is not out of the question. If you usually workout an hour in the morning, you should be fine.

Sorry, i accidentally sent the last post before I was finished. I tried to hit the muscle from every angle. That's why I did three exercises per muscle group. Then again there are upper back, middle back and lower back. So I tried to hit all the muscles. So my workout was longer. It's nice for a change. No momentum.

Oh, I see, I would probably try the book way first, and a home routine, I don't go to a gym. It looks pretty interesting.

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.