Post your fitness tips here

LauraMax

Cathlete
Just for fun, let's see what we've all learned over the years that you might not find in a web or mag article. Here are some of mine:

--I exercise each BP once a week except for my weakest, which do 2X by adding in during other BP routines. For example:
  • I do 6 extra sets of rear delt exercises during my chest routine. I figure I'm already working front delts w/chest, so I get a bonus full delt w/o.
  • I do 3 extra sets standing ham curls during my Sun shoulder routine.
  • I do extra pushups w/my Sat core routine
--I use pullups as a transition betw. my bi/back routine since it works both muscle groups.
--I do abs 2X a week, once at the gym w/my back routine. That way I figure I'm getting a bonus full core w/o.
--I almost always do kickboxing on my Sat core day, b/c I figure I get a little extra core work w/KB

Share some of your learnin w/us so we can all take our routines up a notch. :)

Hi LauraMax,

Great post!! Can't write much as I'm getting ready for baby to feed. What do I tell my clients?????????

Their question: "What's the best exercise to do?"

My response: "The one you'll do."

Their question: "What's the best time to exercise?"

My response: "When you'll do it."

That's about as basic as it gets.

Love the idea about rear delts and chest. My rear delts are my strongest. My weakest are bis so I hit them 2-3x/week. Plus, I've changed my workouts since I'm doing the 6 month STS (post partum). I do STS one day with 30 min cardio. The other day, I do 45-60 min cardio, abs, and stretch. I'm loving it!

So sorry I've been lax on positing. I've missed your posts!!! 5 stars from me babe!!! :D

Just for fun, let's see what we've all learned over the years that you might not find in a web or mag article. Here are some of mine:

--I exercise each BP once a week except for my weakest, which do 2X by adding in during other BP routines. For example:
  • I do 6 extra sets of rear delt exercises during my chest routine. I figure I'm already working front delts w/chest, so I get a bonus full delt w/o.
  • I do 3 extra sets standing ham curls during my Sun shoulder routine.
  • I do extra pushups w/my Sat core routine
--I use pullups as a transition betw. my bi/back routine since it works both muscle groups.
--I do abs 2X a week, once at the gym w/my back routine. That way I figure I'm getting a bonus full core w/o.
--I almost always do kickboxing on my Sat core day, b/c I figure I get a little extra core work w/KB

Share some of your learnin w/us so we can all take our routines up a notch. :)

Great idea!

Lessee...

----> let go of your routine, OFTEN. Variety is the best tool I have for staying lean.
----> don't bother with "girl" push-ups. I never even heard of them so I when I first did push-ups I started on my toes. I could only do around 2, IIRC, but I did 'em and progressed rapidly.
-----> YES YOU CAN. Push-ups? Absolutely. Unsupported chin-ups? Got 'em covered. Pull-ups? I'm really darn close. I never thought I'd be able to do any of those things. Never ever think something is beyond your (future) fitness capacity.

Those seem lame, but they're all I've got right now. :D

Sparrow

In my experience, consistency is more important than intensity. In CLX, Chalene said, "Any workout is better than no workout" and ITA.

I now tell myself, I can find 30 minutes everyday to do something. I'm discovering this keeps me saner (and my family happier :p).

Also, try new things to shake yourself up. I love complex choreo, but I've been in a drill mode love fest for months as it requires no mental exertion. I'm having fun and my knees don't mind it either--who knew??

Great thread idea Laura!

** You can use those heavy weights - drop the cute pink ones & get with theboys! **

** Listen to your body! It has taken me a while to "get" this. Better to rest an injured body part for a bit than do more damage. You'll be stronger in the long run**

** It's not about being skinny/thin - it's about being healthy & fit! **
(The cute clothes are an added bonus ;))

Do what you love. If you are dreading a workout and finding ways to avoid it, better change it up to something else. Working out should be fun- if you hate it, you won't do it.

Yoga isn't for everyone, and not everyone's body responds to it, but everyone needs stretching.

Do dynamic stretching before and static stretching after your workout.

Create an environment that enables you to work out. If that means a gym membership, sure. If that means, putting your gym clothes and tennis shoes right next to your bed, do that. If that means, getting a step and doing Cathe, definitely do that even if that means you sell your dining table so you have more room. :)

If you fall off your horse one day, get right back up the next day. Don't let it bog you down. Every day is a new day. (this one REALLY helped me.)

Even if you have almost no room to work out, you can work out at home. Even if you don't have equipment, you can use your body weight to work out at home. Even if you think you don't have time, you can work out at home.

Make sure you allow yourself a recovery week. I learned that last year after pushing myself too hard for too long.

If your weights are lighter than your purse, you are not getting a good workout. Break out the HEAVY weights!

And you *can* make the time most days to exercise. My/your health and well-being are worth 30-60 minutes of your family finding something else to do. And by taking that time, we set a good example for everyone in our family.

I love this thread!!!

As usual great post Laura. My advice. Make changes slowly. Changes to diet and exercise. All the weight did not come on over night and it isn't going away over night either. If any product promises you rapid weight loss forgetta about it. Your workouts need to be fun. Take classes if being around others motivates you. Yes you can be a runner and yes it can be fun but that needs to start off slow too. Most importantly DO NOT GIVE UP. Put your shoes on and have your workout clothing ready at all times. Even if you only move for 15 minutes it does count for something. Oh and try to recognize when you are full and do not eat beyond that sensation. Lastly find a goal. Take pictures of yourself to motivate you to keep on going. The weight will come off and you'll feel fabulous when it does!!!!

Hi all,

My fitness revelations over the years are

• Follow a preset rotation.
  • Change things up drastically every few months.
  • Decide whether the workout is maintenance or gains and expend the appropriate energy. I usually think of it in cycles. STS was definitely for gains, then I may take a month of maintenance before hitting it hard again, but with something totally different.
  • Don't push past bad pain.
  • Consistent plyo works miracles for my legs!
Tracy

These are great!!

I thought of a couple of more:

-----> Planks, planks and more planks. After you've finished with those, do more planks.
-----> Clean eating is huge
-----> that said, so is sanity! To keep from burning out, blow out your calories once in a while, and don't have a second of guilt over it.

just one right now

Whatever your body is able to do today is ok. Work at the upper end of your target heart rate but if you endurance is down and your heart rate is up don't worry about it. Work as hard as you are able to do on any given day. Exercise is not the time to be embarrassed.

If your weights are lighter than your purse, you are not getting a good workout. Break out the HEAVY weights!

And you *can* make the time most days to exercise. My/your health and well-being are worth 30-60 minutes of your family finding something else to do. And by taking that time, we set a good example for everyone in our family.

I love this thread!!!

Melclear, I love your avatar!

My fitness tip, which you may not find in a book or magazine article, is to keep an open mind.

As human beings we tend to take the path of least resistance, find our niche, and hunker down. We adhere (sometimes rigidly) to ideas, philosophies, and certain mindsets. The internal dialogue of -

I can’t do ____, or I won’t do_____, or ________ hasn’t worked for me. ________isn’t for me, I’m not a _____person.

Keeping an open mind is helping me attain my goals, and accomplish what I never thought was possible.

I have always loved the NIKE tag line...JUST DO IT.
I pretend that my daily exercise routine is an appointment and that I cannot miss it. The fact that I regularly exercised 6 days a week rain or shine has helped my mood, my bod and my sex life (thank you very much). I feel good about my body and I don't act like a sloth. Cleaning up my eating has also helped because garbage in is indeed garbage out. DH and I are consistently working out and eating clean and gosh darn it...I am uber proud of our accomplishments! His support has helped keep me consistent and vice versa. You can do it, JUST DO IT! :)
We will start another rotation of STS 3.5 month on June 15th.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.