post workout snack ideas

steak & lobster..................just kidding :p

greek yogurt, some almonds & little fruit OR
whole wheat rice cake w/almond butter & banana

I do like protein shakes, but sometimes a "beverage only snack" just won't do it for me :)

Nuts, yogart, fruit, and shakes here as well. I have made protein bars that are easy as well.

On Sundays I make sweet potato/egg muffins as post w/o snacks for the entire week. I dice up one sweet potato and saute in coconut oil and cinnamon. While those are cooking blend 12 egg whites until just a little frothy. When potatoes are done, divide them up into 12 muffin cups then top with the egg whites. Put in oven 325 for about 25 minutes. Let them cool then keep them in the fridge. I eat two post workout after throwing them in the microwave for 25 seconds. Yummo! :D

Natalie

On Sundays I make sweet potato/egg muffins as post w/o snacks for the entire week. I dice up one sweet potato and saute in coconut oil and cinnamon. While those are cooking blend 12 egg whites until just a little frothy. When potatoes are done, divide them up into 12 muffin cups then top with the egg whites. Put in oven 325 for about 25 minutes. Let them cool then keep them in the fridge. I eat two post workout after throwing them in the microwave for 25 seconds. Yummo! :D

Natalie

That sounds so tasty!!

Natalie

I'm going to try this! I love sweet potatoes! I've read they are really good for post workout.

Natalie

Stealing this...sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!!

I love slicing up an apple and slathering on some almond butter. Carbs from the apple help replenish my depleted stores from my Cathe butt-kicking and the protein from the almond butter helps fill me up!

Hi,

LY10UP: I would also like to have the recipe for your protein bars.

I make these every week:

Cranberry Protein Bars

Ingredients
  • 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1/ 2 cup vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 cup wheat and barley nugget cereal (e.g. Grape-Nuts™)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce ( more if you want more moist bars)
  • 2 tbl Honey
  • 2 tablespoons oil (oil of your choice, I use walnut oil)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds or replace with 1/2 cup of another chopped nut ( or mix 1/4 walnuts, 1/4 sliced almonds etc)
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries or ( fruit of your choice)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F Line a 9 inch square glass baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cereal, and cinnamon. Add the egg, applesauce, honey, and oil. Mix well. Stir in the nuts and dried fruit. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool. Use the foil to lift from the pan. Cut into bars or squares, and store in the refrigerator.
Makes 12 bars.

Those sound great!

If you were using whole eggs, what would that be? ( instead of egg whites)?

I would think it doesn't froth up like egg whites and would not bake like a muffin? I'm guessing.:) The coconut oil would give the snack enough fat though.

Thanks...how many whole eggs would be needed to be the equivalant of 12 egg whites? I know it's less eggs.

Deb - I haven't ever made them using the whole egg so I don't know how they would turn out...probably would taste more "eggy" then I would like. Plus I like that they are filling but not super heavy on the calories. But give it a whirl and see what happens! ;) I believe Fit44 is right that 2 egg whites = 1 whole egg.

Good luck!

Natalie

I usually just eat a piece of fruit post work out until/unless it's time for a meal...I eat several times a day so usually no more then a couple hours goes by before I'm eating again anyway! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.