Pilates video suggestions

berry99

Cathlete
Hi everyone. I have been thinking about starting to do pilates and there are a million videos out there. Does anyone have any suggestions for videos that are challenging and not a waste of time??? Or maybe favorite instructors. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Karin

Definitely. The Rael series is good--there are 3 DVDs, Rael 7, 17 & 27. These are basic & good for beginners but still decent workouts. You can get all 3 for like $13 on deepdiscountdvds.com.

MTV Pilates Mix is the best darned pilates workout I've ever done. Advanced, creative & tough.

I also like Body Target Pilates for Abs--it's 30 minutes of pilates & 30 minutes of yoga, it's an excellent core workout.

Also Moira Stott has some good ones. I just got her stability ball pilates workout & really enjoyed it.

The one thing you learn about pilates is there are really only 10-15 moves & the workouts are really just a variation on the order of the exercises. That's what I love about the MTV Mix--it's very unique & different from any pilates workout I've done.

Have fun! :)

i haven't done any of the ones laura mentioned but have to eye-balling them.except i have done moria stott, i do like the workout. i also like the breakthru pilates workouts with tracy york and michelle dozios. my sister had the pilates plus which was real challenge for the core. i would like this one and pilates sculpt on dvd. i also have part of core conditioning on another dvd i have of theirs and its quite a workout. it hits all areas of the core and hips/thighs with a little bit of upper body with pushups.

this is not pilates but i also enjoy the bar method workouts. it falls along the lines of callanetics but for my active recovery i am doing some of my pilates workouts with bar method workouts which uses smaller movements for lower body,abs, but very little upper body with body weight and light weights

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Thanks for the suggestions. I just put the MTV pilates into my queue on netflix. I figure that is a good way to try it.

Karin

Upon tons of recommendations I've seen on this forum for MTV Pilates Mix, I ordered it today from deepdiscountdvds.com

Can someone who has this DVD explain what this means in the description on the discount site:

As the name suggests, MTV's PILATES MIX allows you to mix up your own blend of Pilates exercises, designing your own customized workout. Only MTV brings you Pilates with an edge, featuring Kristen McGee as your host, and heart-pumping music by Danny Sullivan.

How do you mix your own blend? Is it just chaptering which is what we are all used to on Cathe's DVD's?

I definitely recommend MTV pilates mix. I also like Breakthrou sculpt. Pilates with weights, really a winner. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I originally posted because I felt that I should add pilates to my routine, though I was not that excited about it :). After all your posts though, I am totally excited to get started.

Karin

I also have to add Hilary Burnett: Advanced Pilates. It's great, but too short, about 20 min. So I just do it 2 or 3 times in a row. It's fantastic! It was about 6 $ @ www.deepdiscountdvd.com -- talking about bargains...:)

Hi Karrin,

I am a newbie to the forums but I am pilates/yoga chick and I think the best pilates dvd for the advanced is Winsor Maximum Burn. It is her longest workout and she doesn't spend alot of time talking like she does in her basic advanced workout. You can order this workout from Collage video. Also for a shorter advanced workout you can check out Fit Chic. This DVD is pure flow pilates so you move on from one move to the next (the way Joeseph intended). You can order this DVD from Amazon.

HTH

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.