Physique 57 or P90X2?

Ivy

Cathlete
I know they are both completely different workouts, but I was thinking of investing in one them. I have heard that P90X2 does not have a dread factor and is actually a pretty good workout. Although, I have heard Physique 57 is a good one as well, again I realize that they are both different so I am trying to get some insight from those of you who have one or the other or both.

Oh ladies, please help me out with this one. I don't have a lot of money and I want to use it wisely.

I have P57 - they are like Cathe's TurboBarre. I've never done P90X or 2, so I can't comment as to that one. IF you like Cathe's TurboBarre, then you might like Physique 57. I only got P57 because I injured my elbow & could do NO weight work at all, so it was the only leg workout I could do. I personally did not like the instructors' styles, but Cathe has me spoiled in that regard!

Ivy I don't have either one of these but they were selling Physique 57 on QVC today for $48 with 3 dvd's and a ball. Qvc also sells p90x2 for $129. That is a big difference in price so my opinion would be how much do you want to spend. I myself could not even complete a p90x so i would go for physique 57. That looks more my style.

Jean

I have completed P90X the original a while back, I heard the second version was not quite so intimidating, but it is good to know the prices of these items on QVC. Thanks.

I have both Volumes of Physique 57 and really enjoy these workouts. I have never done P90X, but I did STS for 10 weeks (stopped for medical reasons). I don't think I could do them alone for a period of time, as there are only 6 total, but that's just me...I tend to get bored easily. The music is very motivating, as well as the instruction. My favorites are Classic Volume 1, Express Volume 1, and Thigh and Seat Booster Volume 2, but they are all good. There is a nice cardio effect to the workouts as well, if you're looking for that.

I had P90X and sold it. It gets boring after a while and I actually developed tendonitis in my shoulder from the endless repetition of movement on that one. I see a greater opportunity for injury with P90X, as well. I much prefer STS. I know nothing of the P57 series, so can't speak to that.

If it were me, I would spend the money on STS :)

P57 almost put me to sleep and I just could not get into P90X.

You'll see better overall fitness improvement w/ P90x. I have a lot of barre workouts (including the P57s) and actually did a 2 month live Barre class rotation and couldn't believe how much cardio capacity & upper body strength I lost doing it. I would never do a full barre rotation again. Way too much anterior deltoid emphasis & not enough back work.

BTW, if you have Cathe's Turbo Barre you don't need P57. Cathe's is better balanced.

I've done P90X and it isn't even in the same league as STS. I haven't done P90X2 simply because I wasn't that impressed with P90X. STS is worth it's weight in gold! This is the program I would recommend you buy. Yes, it's pricey, but Cathe has been offering 30% off, which is a fantastic deal. JMHO.

I have not done Physique 57. I am currently doing a P90X2 rotation. It is nothing like P90X. It is extremely challenging from a balance standpoint, not from a heavy lifting point of view. Most of the exercises are done using a stability ball or medicine ball for balance work while you use body weight or light dumbbells. Since I'm only in the first month of the rotation, I can't really comment on the entire program. I've heard that many people were dissapointed in it because they thought it would be a harder version of P90X. If that is what you expect, you'll be disappointed. I'm enjoying it because I like Tony Horton. I'm enjoying it because it's different from any other routines I have. I'm enjoying it because I'm seeing improvement in my balance (some of the exercises are frustratingly hard just because you can't manage the balance aspect).

Before you purchase it I would check out the clips so you can get a good sense of the exercises. Since you already have P90X, you know Tony and his style. He's the same in this set.

Good luck with your decision.

Kim

I have not done Physique 57. I am currently doing a P90X2 rotation. It is nothing like P90X. It is extremely challenging from a balance standpoint, not from a heavy lifting point of view. Most of the exercises are done using a stability ball or medicine ball for balance work while you use body weight or light dumbbells. Since I'm only in the first month of the rotation, I can't really comment on the entire program. I've heard that many people were dissapointed in it because they thought it would be a harder version of P90X. If that is what you expect, you'll be disappointed. I'm enjoying it because I like Tony Horton. I'm enjoying it because it's different from any other routines I have. I'm enjoying it because I'm seeing improvement in my balance (some of the exercises are frustratingly hard just because you can't manage the balance aspect).

Before you purchase it I would check out the clips so you can get a good sense of the exercises. Since you already have P90X, you know Tony and his style. He's the same in this set.

Good luck with your decision.

Kim

Kim: i'm interested with P90X 2 however I'm scared that I need more equipment. Can you tell me the bare minimum of equipment needed as well as how much space is needed to do the workouts? I know you haven't done them all yet but any insite would be much appreciated.

Kim: i'm interested with P90X 2 however I'm scared that I need more equipment. Can you tell me the bare minimum of equipment needed as well as how much space is needed to do the workouts? I know you haven't done them all yet but any insite would be much appreciated.

Kariev,

You don't need much space to do the workouts. As far as equipment, you need a stability ball for sure. Tony uses a medicine ball in place of a light weight on some moves, so you could get away without a medicine ball on those moves. He also uses two medicine balls for pushups (one under each hand). You could get away without the medicine balls and just do regular pushups. There are pullups in these workouts, so you'll need a pullup bar or bands with a place to anchor them. The workouts require weights too. Tony highly recommends a foam roller for the warmups and it is used extensively in the rest and recovery workout. There is a modifer who does regular stretches or uses a towel to help reach deeper in the stretches instead of using the foam roller. There is one move in Plyocide that uses a high step.

I don't mind the use of equipment and even enjoy the excuse to purchase more! I bought a foam roller and am glad I did. I already had the other stuff I needed. I hope that helps.

Kim

I almost bought the 57 series but got turned off by the instructors reviews!! If the instructors are annoying, I wouldnt be able to "look forward" to the workouts! I just stick to cathes turbo barr when ever I feel like adding it in to my "chathe" routines! Im still doing the STS ( 3rd round) plus getting ready to order her power hr which I MISS terribly now that direct tv took it off my DVR:mad:!anyway, good luck on what you decide ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.