P90X Cardio

sparrow

Cathlete
DH and I are starting the program in January but I have been doing some of the cardio (plyo and kenpo) this week, just to try it out. I'm really surprised at how easy the cardio is! They were fun workouts, but I get way more intensity with Cathe and running. I know that the cardio in P90X is designed to not take away from muscle gains, but I'm kind of worried now that I am going to just balloon right the heck up doing this program. Did anyone have that experience?

Also, if I do extra cardio will I blow the whole point of the program?

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I think PlyoX is a pretty tough workout - if not, step it up a little, jump higher, etc.. Kenpo X I do agree with - not as much of a workout for me either and I'm in good shape.

That said, I generally do some step in the AM and whatever my X workout is in the evening. There's a program called 'doubles' in the set that includes extra cardio and you can just follow that, substituting Cathe/Running for the Cardio X session! :)

I did KenpoX once and PlyoX a few times. I actually thought that PlyoX was a decent workout but I can't stand Tony.

What I did 99% of the time was my P90X strength workout and then about 30 minutes or so on the treadmill immediately after. You could do an IMAX or Kick Max instead, if you want.

I actually think the cardio in P90X is designed to be a challenge but we are all so accustomed to Cathe that it takes a lot...LOL!!

Yeah, Tony's a little on the edge :D. I might have misheard but I think he actually says, in kenpo, "get those friggin' legs up." Zoiks.

I thought plyo was a decent workout all in all and I had fun with it, I was just surprised at the level of intensity. Tony's into makes it sound like you're going to be crying by the end of it! I thought, if he calls this super intense, the boy needs to meet Cathe! :D

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I sometimes substituted KPC or another cardio workout for KenpoX. An Imax could take the spot of Plyo X (though I think Plyo X is very beneficial not only for the plyo moves--it's not intended to be a cardio workout, even according to the folks at Beachbody, but rather another leg workout--but for the core work with those change-of-direction moves).

Maybe KenpoX would be 'tough' cardio for guys who do mostly weights are/or are not used to kickboxing?

I think the set-up of the weight workouts (done in a circuit or push-pull fashion) makes them burn more calories than the "work all of muscle X with breaks between sets before moving on to muscle Y" type of workout).

I neither gained nor lost weight (maybe a pound lost?) during my P90X rotation, but my body composition changed--more muscle and definition.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.