Overhead Presses

meg512

Cathlete
Hi everyone, quick question. Does anyone else have a problem going heavy on overhead presses. Usually the most I can do is 8 lb dumbells. yesterday, I actually did 10 lbs which was a surprise. I have been doing these forever and just don't seem to get any better. Thanks Mary

Hi, Mary!

I stay pretty light on overhead presses otherwise, I do this horrible back arch thing. Occasionally though, I'll use 12 or 15 pounders and press out 4-8 reps. But for the most part 8 and 10 pounders are just fine by me;-).

Bobbi:)

Try using a barbell instead of dumbbells.

I find I can lift a thirty pound barbell but have difficulty doing thirty pounds with 15 pound dumbbells. I don't know why, but that has been my experience.

I'm the exact opposite - I can lift 15 - 20lb dumbells no problem but with a 25lb barbell I always feel my back arching.
But then again, I'm always stronger with dumbbells. Just goes to show how different we all are! :)

Lorrie

That's interesting Lorrie. You may be the only one I know of who is stronger with dumbbells. Good for you for using dumbbells. I am a firm believer in them for shaping the muscles.
Trevor :)

Hi Mary!
Don't worry about going heavy with dumbbells. Most people are lighter on those than with a barbell. Dumbbells require more utilization of stabilizer muscles and I love them for shaping the muscles.
Also, try negatives for getting over the trouble you are having moving up to more weight. Get a partner to help you with the upward motion of the overhead press using more weight than you are used to doing. Then, while they carefully spot you, resist the weight as you lower it down slowly. Repeat. Be careful and make sure you have a good spotter.
Trevor :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.