O/T: Teenagers!!!! UGgghhhh! Is this going to get better?

Hi All!
Ok, most of you know that I have six children. One teenager (16) and one who is almost 13. Well, my sixteen year old at times, acts as though she owns the house and everything in it. Sometimes I am disgusted with her. Now, don't get me wrong, she helps a LOT (which I am very thankful), and is generally a pretty good kid. But when she acts like she is "Queen of the Home", I feel like screaming, throwing something, or choking something (now, where did that dog run to?). Will this ever get better? I fear by the time I'm 40 I'll be in a mental institution. Especially after I have three (almost four) teens at one time. I think I just need a good vacation, a massage, and quite a number of drinks. ;-)

Thanks for letting me vent.

Shirley

Hi Shirley, I guess I can relate somewhat just the difference is I have a 16 year old boy, who is the most slob that I can think ofx(. I've told him many, many times to please be neat, pick up after yourself blah blah blah well he does but the next day everything is all over the place again. He even takes over the phone. Nobody can never get through and we do have call waiting which he lets it go right to voice mail. Hey can I join ya with a drink maybe a margartia (sp), Ha Ha. Hope things will get better:).

I am the mother of two teenagers 15 soon to be 16 and a 14 year old and don't forget about the tweeny lol.
My oldest is great, but she can act all smarty and things and thinks she can dish out the chores and punishments also. and she is all over the teen boy to do homework like it is her business. My boy now is a first class slob lol, I love him but hate his messy room and his poor grades. Now my tweeny thinks she is already a teenager and acts like it and all. When they get out of hand I remove one of their favorite things for a time and they have to earn it back. Or I make them write sentances that goes with the crime LOL.
I had a girl come to our door once collecting food for the needy and had to sign a form and on it said " I am found and you don't have to look for me, and for punishment I have to collect food for the needy" I thought that was so creative.

Oh Shirley, let me share a vodka with ya love

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt

Arent teens just a miserable lot of S*%#*ts...........not very "likeable" most of the time

Thank God I only have one smart ass teen at home left, but she causes enough trouble for the other two that have left!..........so Im not really that much better of.

Its something about those 12yr - 18yr hormones Im sure, because as "adults" they can be really nice people, that you again "love" and "like"

So apart from knowing where your coming from, and sharing a comiseration drink, just keep telling yourself "THEY WONT BE HERE FOREVER, THEY WONT BE HERE FOREVER" and ralish the thaught that "one day" they too will have teens, and you can LOL!

I tell my last teen that I beleive in Karma, so she'd better "pull her head in", because what comes around, goes around.

Marion

You have to stay in shape. My Grandmother started walking when she was 60. Today she is 97 and we don't know where the hell she is! - Ellen DeGeneres

Marion: does that mean you were a terrible pain in the ass as a teen ? i know i was, and if i ever have kids, i am sure they will be a karma-tic nightmare! hell, even my dogs are brutal!

}( jes

jes!

I was a BAD BAD teen

I actually spent two years in a "refore school" for wayward teens

I know! You cant beleive can ya? haha

Anyways, I turned out alright..........but if I could only get rid of this uncontrollable twitch I have and give up on the Therapy..............

Marion

You have to stay in shape. My Grandmother started walking when she was 60. Today she is 97 and we don't know where the hell she is! - Ellen DeGeneres

I actuallyl loved the teen years with my kids. My daughter is now 19 and a freshman at college my son is 16.

I'm not sure if we were particularly close because I'm a single mom and we had such a small family.

I know the times can be tough as they become their own people. I dont want to get on a soap box.. but try to find the best of it. In July my son 16 had a full blown seizure and we found a brain aneurysm. Since then everything in life has been turned upside down. He has had to give up his passions - contact sports, the meds make school difficult, each day we have to work to find the blessing.

So anyhow maybe I am preaching a bit ... but I just had to jump in here and say hope you can enjoy this time.

>I actuallyl loved the teen years with my kids.

What kind of SICK woman are you Robyn?

Just kidding.

Marion

Yep it really IS my favorite time but know I'm in the minority - but I always like to be a little different!

Actually it's interesting in our town it is very cool for the HS girls to be close with your mom. In my sons writing class the kids had to write a paper on the perfect gift and all but 1 boy wrote it about a gift for him Mom! They actually do say this generation of teens values family alot. Personally I was NOT close to my Mom, so to be so close to my daughter is awesome - hooray I broke the pattern.

Oh well i've got a wicked cold.. time for sleep

Shirley,

Teens here too, but not 6!!! LOL! Daughter is 16 and son is 14. My daughter went thru a spell of being sassy and bossy when she was between 14-15. It was frustrating for me during that time, and a few good talks at the dinner table with her father helped some, but not enough it seemed. To be honest, I think some of it was my fault as I was not giving her enough one-on-one time with her. Now we are like best friends and she talks to me about anything and I listen to her. So I can say things are great now. My son has always been easy to get along with for the most part, but he likes to joke alot...that kinda drives me bananas if he does it too much. He can really be too much at time...like when a man comes into the doctors office with his "crack" showing. What does my son do? Points right at the man's bum and makes sure everyone else in the doctor's office sees him doing so. He gets you to start laughing when you really don't want to. Sometimes it is embarrassing.
Charlotte~~:+

I am not quite there yet.I am dreading the years I have comming to me!
The lady I run with as had a hard time with her teenage daugther.And I can see she is starting to age from it.She as moments where is explodes and is uncontrollable and then she could go weeks without doing anything.
She ruined her parents trip away last year and I don't think she felt sorry for it at all.I think she is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel....but she has a 8 yr old as well so she may have to relive it again.
Lori:)

Your kid sounds like she's on track to becoming a perfectly rational adult, in time. She sounds completely normal! Give praise that she's not sleeping out, excessively drinking and taking drugs. Seriously.

You'll come out of it one very cool Mum. You will, and with so much wisdom! So spake the mother of an 8 year old and an 11 year old. Check back with me in 2 years time!!!

Clare

Teenagers can be extremely difficult, and I don't envy what you're going through. I know very little about parenting. Are there courses that you can take to learn parenting skills and methods for dealing with teenagers? I take seminars all the time to help me in my work, and as responsible as my job is, yours is more so, and much more important. I would think there would be skills and methods courses that could teach you how to deal with these difficult years.

I was an awful teenager and drove my parents to tears, but turned out okay in the end. I think if they had known how to handle me, we all could have been spared many years of agony. At least that's what all the experts tell us.

I have a love/hate relationship with my daughter's teenage years. Some of it was fun, some of it was awful. But I think the awful part was more about me than her. I was just so unsure of guidance and direction I was giving her that I was a nervous wreck. I didn't want to push her away but I wanted to know what she was up to.

She's 29 now and turned out pretty damn good.

My mother would tell me, "Look, I lived through you and your sister. You're gonna make it."

RE: O/T: Teenagers!!!! UGgghhhh! Is this going to g...

Hi
I think it's a matter of constantly outmaneuvering them. This week I have started a deal w/ my DD (almost 13 y.o.) that if she remembers to get all of her prep work done b/f school w/o me having to remind/nag her, then I am not allowed to make her clean her room on Saturday. (I just have had it w/ the b/f school routine--where's your shoes, pack your bag, brush your teeth, hair etc.) It's no big sacrifice for me b/c I will just have her clean her room on Sunday. :)D) She does boss my DS around but my DH has been warning her to back off or he will become more involved in bossing her around. (my son is a 6 y.o. and she views him most of the time as a pest) BTW she's a great student and athlete, so I don't want to complain too much! ;) /karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.