Nutrition-Protein shake what is the best substitute to whey protein

Hi Everyone,

Although I do not heavily rely on protein consumption, I am keen on having some as long as I do not get any side effect.

I have tried Brown rice, pea protein and Whey. I have now realised I do react to whey protein. I had acne when I had two shakes for a short time. I tried soy protein in the past and I never had problem I could recall off. My favourite protein is Pea. I love it but I want to mix protein. Whey was good for stopping craving.
My question is what is the best substitute to whey in term of stopping cravings. Also I would like to have your thought on Soy protein.
Is it good or bad for us women?

can not wait to hear from you cathletes ;)

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Hi Nathalie,

I’m a vegetarian that tries to avoid dairy when possible. I use plain genisoy soy protein powder in fruit smoothies and soy milk with cereal. My sister avoids most dairy because she reacts badly to it (possibly has a mild dairy allergy). I recently found out she uses Bob’s Red Mill soy protein powder which surprised me because she used to complain about tasting even a trace of soy in her food. I eat a very soy-rich diet so I’m pretty immune to the flavor at this point.

I’m curious to hear what others have to say about soy as I know not everyone is a soy-lover.

As for the best protein to cut hunger cravings, I would suggest cooking meals with quinoa as it’s a complete protein all by itself.

I am vegan and I use vega one protein powder. it is dairy, gluten, and soy free and it tastes great I have tried other dairy free proteins and this is the only one i liked.

Protein

Thanks Ladies for your comments.

I am not vegan but just prefer protein sourced from veggies. I love my Greek yoghurt. I simply can not live without. Whey protein consumption plus my yoghurt was too much dairy consumption which caused the reaction.
Whey protein is filling.

Which one of veggies sourced protein is filling. Is it soy?

Last edited:
Another vegan, chiming in for occasional use of Vega One. Also, I like Manitoba's Hemp Pro 70 (hemp protein). I'm about to try a plant-based protein powder from Vitamin Shoppe that a few friends have highly recommended. Having said this...my #1 go-to source is whole foods, 98% of the time.

I'm a vegetarian, too. Also a HUGE fan of Greek yogurt - I eat it every day, yum! I use Amazing meal, chocolate infusion protein powder and also just pea protein powder. I've tried vega one, too and it is good, too.

I personally avoid soy like the devil because it is an estrogen source and makes me gain weight. It is also a goitregen. What that means is it interferes with your thyroid.

I like pea protein myself. How about egg?

Shake protein

I personally avoid soy like the devil because it is an estrogen source and makes me gain weight. It is also a goitregen. What that means is it interferes with your thyroid.

I like pea protein myself. How about egg?

Thanks for your thought on Soy protein.

Pea protein and brown rice are my preferences. Pea is number one. As to eggs I am sceptical as it may cause gas problems. I prefer consuming a reasonable portion of egg white omelette rather than having an egg shake! It could cause the same effect as whey on my skin. My skin is reacting. I will try hemp protein in future.

I need to add something to make my preferred shake more filling. May be I should add essential required portion of fat to slow down the digestion during evenings. I need to keep the hunger in control evenings! I am like a baby I need something substantial 1,5 or 2 prior to going to bed. Otherwise I can not sleep properly:D:D:D I can stay away from carbs though. I need something filling without a bloating effect!

I am also avoiding fruit at that time cause it just trigger my "sweet tooth" I have decided to limit fruit consumption of 2 servings per day.

Nathalie...for bulking up your shakes w/out adding too many calories, what about fresh kale, spinach or other leafy green? Seriously, you don't even TASTE it in there, and it gives your shakes an incredible GREEN tint! LOL DS2 calls my daily shake my "Shrek Smoothie". I generally go w 1-1.5 C almond milk, a banana, some frozen mango, fresh greens (whatever I have on hand...kale, spinach, even romaine), ice and sometimes almonds which will add the healthy fats in there. Now and again, I will use my Hemp Protein Powder in there (1/2 scoop). And it FILLS ME UP! Just a thought.

Filling shake

Nathalie...for bulking up your shakes w/out adding too many calories, what about fresh kale, spinach or other leafy green? Seriously, you don't even TASTE it in there, and it gives your shakes an incredible GREEN tint! LOL DS2 calls my daily shake my "Shrek Smoothie". I generally go w 1-1.5 C almond milk, a banana, some frozen mango, fresh greens (whatever I have on hand...kale, spinach, even romaine), ice and sometimes almonds which will add the healthy fats in there. Now and again, I will use my Hemp Protein Powder in there (1/2 scoop). And it FILLS ME UP! Just a thought.
Thanks Gayle,

I have tried banana and almond milk...I am considering investing in a better food processor to make my own almond milk and eventually my own almond butter. Adding the daily portion of almond butter could be the answer cause that definitely fills me up...As to adding veg to the smoothies i will try kale:rolleyes: I will also definitely try hemp protein and see how my body respond.
I do have my shake as a Recovery meal replacement not for a bulking up purpose.
I do not take a pre-workout shake again for the same reason.
Sometimes I skip taking it when I am on pure cardio day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.