No results

bchgrl40

Cathlete
I've been doing the plan Cathe put together for me to do for my work's 12 week employee challenge. I'm on the third week now and so far have ZERO results. No weight change on the scale, no bodyfat lost, no inches lost. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I'm working my butt off and nothing is happening. I have a meal plan worked out for me by a trainer I know as well. Its very tempting to dump everything and do something else but I'm trying not to. Words of encouragement please? I'm convinced my age has alot to do with this. Stupid menopause

I would say keep at it. A couple of years ago I decided I needed to lose weight. I cut way back on my eating and kept up a tough workout schedule and saw no results for the first 2-3 weeks. When I started to see results though I really started to see results. I think that sometimes our bodies fight to maintain what is comfortable. I am 51 now so I was 47-48 at the time for age comparison purposes...hth and good luck!!!

Pam

Please, please, please give it 2 more weeks. I always reckon I need more than a month to see what's really happening. If it hasn't worked by then, THEN try tweaking what you're doing. It may all happen in one fell swoop.
I'm feeling it for you!

Justine
BTW - I could be giving myself advice here. I just hope I'm listening to me. ;)

Yes, yes, keep at it. I am 52 and it definitely takes longer than it used to, to see results with a new program.

I started my latest new program in November (I decided to do a gym-based heavy weights program for awhile and am working with a trainer). It took 6 weeks (6 weeks!!!) before I started seeing changes. Now, 9 weeks in, I am seeing crazy changes - I'm down about 8 lbs in body fat and have gained 6 lbs of muscle. I look way tighter and my clothes are starting to fit better. But I saw and felt nothing at all for the first 6 weeks, and was getting incredibly frustrated.

Stebby

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement! I feel so much better now! I will stick with it and keep positive :)

I'm with everyone else too. The older I get the harder it is to see results in the time that you'd like. Glad you are going to stick with it.

I work in a very young company where everyone is very fit ( it's a well known online supplement company) so it's rough bc they're all still in that stage of life where they just have to do so little and they see results. So no one understands my issues. Frustrating. Thanks so much for showing me I'm not alone lol!

What was the plan Cathe suggested? I think I remember you asking for one. Just can't recall. And hang in there!!!

My suggestion would be to check your diet. When you are over 50 you really have to watch what you eat. My twin sister and I both lost weight over 50. We did not change our workouts but we did tweak our diet quite a bit. What I ate in my 40's is not working now that I'm in my 50's. We both lost over 20 pounds. It's hard but if you are committed you can do it. Hang in there.

What was the plan Cathe suggested? I think I remember you asking for one. Just can't recall. And hang in there!!!

I am curious what Cathe has suggested as well.

It is so hard to be patient. Bottom line is we must remember that weight gain doesn't happen over night, so weight loss won't either. Hang in there. Also, and I am sure you are doing this, make sure your sodium intake is not too high. That will make you retain water. I wish you the best with your challenge!

Awe that's very frustrating but remember any new fitness regimen can cause temporary fluid retention that will resolve on it's own so try and persist. I know you said you have a meal plan through a trainer but maybe just make sure you have cut out added sugar as much as possible. I'm 47 now and held on to an extra 10 pounds for almost 2 years despite my workout efforts. Once I dropped the sugar habit the weight melted off much easier.

I am curious what Cathe has suggested as well.

It is so hard to be patient. Bottom line is we must remember that weight gain doesn't happen over night, so weight loss won't either. Hang in there. Also, and I am sure you are doing this, make sure your sodium intake is not too high. That will make you retain water. I wish you the best with your challenge!

you will find cathe's suggestion in link below:

http://cathe.com/forum/f95/determined-use-cathe-sts-win-company-transformation-challenge-295363/

To bchgrl40,

What you need now is an encouragement and lot of positives vibes:):):).

Stick to it, do not give up. You will get there and be much happier once you have accomplished your goal. Persistence will pay off.

Kind Regards,

There is just one thing that might be happening. I have posted this link before, but unless you are weighing your food, you could be falling into the 'measure' not 'weigh' trap of calorie counting.

Fat Loss Tips! Shocking! - YouTube

What a great video and so right. I have a scale and use it but my husband doesn't. One day he asked me if what he was eating was about the right size for pasta. I had him put it in a bowl on the scale and he about fell over. He was about 3 oz over the serving size.

I would definitely email Cathe or take another look at the diet. 3 weeks is ample time to see some changes.

Really? I don't know...to me 3 weeks is just barely getting started. :confused: Especially if you are over 50, it's just too much pressure to put on oneself to see changes that quickly. I've never understood the need to see instant results, personally. It just seems to be a guaranteed way to disappointment. I've always been the tortoise and not the hare in my approach. Slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race in the end (guaranteeing permanent changes, not short term ones). It's no different than people who always grasp at "get rich quick" or get "whatever fill in the blank" quick plans. We are such an instant gratification society and it just leads to a vicious cycle of ups and downs and chronic unhappiness.

Sorry...I'll get off my soapbox now. :eek: :eek:

Back to the topic...now if it's been 3 months and there is still no change...then I would re-evaluate my diet, make sure I'm getting enough rest and recovery between workouts and managing lifestyle stress along with my workouts (to reduce the cortisol effect). Mostly the diet...little things like that occasional glass of wine, sugar indulgences or extra bit of cheese can really sabotage results, especially once menopause hits.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.