Snuggles is a male 45 pounds about 15 months old. He is vaccinated and
neutered. I found him in the pouring rain in a large urban cemetery where
strays like Snuggles pack up and hide from the city thugs who routinely
traps and torture or use them as bait. He is very, very friendly and
thinks he is a lap dog. When rescued he was coughing and sneezing with a
large puncture wound on his side. The emergency vet I took him to said his
fever was high and put him on antibiotics and bathed him and de-wormed
him. He is an absolute doll but his head looks like Petey from the Little
Rascals and people are afraid of him because he is part pit.

He is in a
kennel that I can no longer afford to pay for and I already have my own
very large two dogs, a rescue dog, a cat, a three year old daughter and
full time stressful job that takes an hour commute each day. I am not
complaining but I get up at 4am every day and simply cannot handle another
dog. PLEASE POST AND HELP US FIND SNUGGLES A HOME!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I can't take Snuggles in, really wish I could! I'm down here in the Southeast and I can't even have a dog in my apartment, or else the place would already be full of rescued animals! Actually, I do have some rescued animals :), just no dogs. :-(

I'm really just posting to put this back up at the top in hopes that somebody will realize just how much they need a dog (or another dog) in their life! Snuggles sounds like he'd be a great pet, I've known several pits and pit mutts (not to mention chows and rots) who have a very good temperment. With almost any dog you meet, how they behave is all in how you treat them! I'm sure mogambo wouldn't be trying to push a dog with 'issues' on anyone, after all, that wouldn't do anybody any good. Sounds to me like he's a great candidate for a pet and it'd be a terrible shame to have to end such a precious life!

I'm just so convinced that dogs are one of life's most wonderful blessings! I really hope somebody will be able to give Snuggles a good home and allow him to be a blessing to them!

Anyone else an animal lover?

Just throwing this back up to the top. Anyone else an animal lover out there? Anyone with animal rescue stories or rescued pets they really love? Hey, did you know the most recent cat to play 'Morris' was a rescued shelter cat from the ASPCA?

I just love my rescued animals, sure wish I could take Snuggles in too! I think I'm going to be jealous of whoever is able to take him in, he sounds like the loving, loyal kind of dog people always want.

I'm not sure if Cathe still has all of her dogs but I know she loves them and was even raising them to be seeing eye dogs for blind people! Kudos to Cathe! I'm impressed, as always!

RE: Anyone else an animal lover?

Has anyone heard of an animal sanctuary in Utah called Best Friends? They are a no kill facility and have hundreds of dogs, cats and whatever else needs a home. I don't know their address or email but received my donation reminder yesterday and will try to get the information and post back tomorrow. They have some type of networking system where someone in your area will pick up an animal, drive it so far, hand it off to someone else, etc. until it reaches the sanctuary.

You are certainly a good person for paying to shelter this poor dog. So many people just don't care what happens to these sad creatures. I can sympathize (sp?) with you. My husband and I have had so many stray cats and dogs over the years - some we have kept, others we have found homes for. We currently have 5 cats and a very large dog.

Sorry to ramble on.....I hope you find a solution soon.
Take care.
Annette

RE: Anyone else an animal lover?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-01 AT 08:08AM (Est)[/font][p]Yes, I've heard of that, thanks for suggesting it Annette! I didn't know they have a transportation network though, that's outstanding! I'm a member of the ASPCA and the National Anti-Vivisection Society. I think I'm going to send a donation in to Best Friends too as soon as I get paid. Here's the website for Best Friends, it's such a wonderful organization!

http://www.bestfriends.org/

Here are a few of other things I found about Best Friends:

http://members.tripod.com/~geoffndeb/BestFriendsPage.htm
http://cats.about.com/pets/cats/library/weekly/aa091598.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/9139/bestfriends.html
http://www.bestphotocards.com/animalskanab.htm

I don't know if this is the place for Snuggles, but it's certainly worth checking into if nobody responds to adopt him. He could even get adopted from there, who knows!

Mogambo, I think it's so admirable for you to pay to take care of Snuggles and to try to save his life. I hope & pray things work out well for Snuggles and for you & your family! Take care!

Snuggles

Hello to all you wonderful people who have read and responded to this. I want you to know that I don't have the dog and never have. I found out about his situation and thought, why don't I post this in the Discussion forum, since so many good people read it. I was kinda worried someone would tell me it was an inappropriate topic. The person who has the dog is called Maxine and her email is in the original post. I subscribe to several animal-oriented bulletin boards. I encourage all of you that love animals to subscribe to [email protected]. Just send an email saying you want to subscribe. You will get 10 or so alerts a week, some are homeless animals, some are letters to write about some abused circus animal or bunch of prairie dogs about to be poisoned or something. You may not want to write many letters, but this way at least you will be informed and able to do a little easy activism. And it's a great way to help homeless animals. I am going to send Maxine the best friends link. Thank you for your support, but I am not the hero with all the dogs. I just have one cat and a teenage daughter.

RE: Snuggles

Don't be so sure...anyone with a teenager is already a hero in my eyes!
I wish I could take that sweet dog, but my current rescue dog is dog aggresive & I have to keep all other dogs away from her. I can't even foster for my rescue group now. Yes, I have tried everything to socialize her but no go. She's so sweet with people (& cats) that it's hard to believe, but I really believe she would try to kill another dog in her home. Who knows what happened to her out on the streets?
Thanks everyone for all the links, it will help me a lot with our rescue work!
Trying to help an animal is never inappropriate!
Ruth

RE: Snuggles

If you go to the akc website (www.akc.org) they have rescue referrals for most of the breeds and parent clubs to contact.

Also try going to yahoogroups and doing a search on rescue. There are about 10-15 groups just for rescue and transport.

Colleen

Rescuers and ....

...parents of teenagers are certainly heros in my book! And I agree wholeheartedly, it's always appropriate to try to help an animal in need! After all, this is the Open Discussion forum.

Ruth, I'm glad your dog has found a good home, maybe one day she'll overcome her dog anxiety. In the mean time, I guess you can foster rescue cats (I just think it's too cute that she likes cats). Do you mind if I ask what organization you work with? There's just so much horror and violence going on towards helpless animals out there so I really love to hear about animal rescuers and their work! Hey, you ever tell someone they should spay/neuter their animal (if they're not a breeder, of course) and they look at you like you've just give birth to a litter of ferals? Anyway.....

Mogambo, thanks for sharing Snuggle's struggles with us! Will you please let us know what happens, I really hope you'll have some good news to post! Take care & God bless.......

Maxine says...

I just heard from Maxine and she says in this heat to send Snuggle to Best Friends is definitely a last resort thing. But apparently, he is still alive and they are still looking for a home for him. Thanks for the support.

RE: Maxine says...

Hi Mo, thanks for the update...I sure hope a home is found.

Brinley, I don't mind at all! I work mainly for Great Dane Rescue (Mid Atlantic region). I used to breed way back when, now we just keep them as pets. All except our breeders have been rescues. My current sweet baby, Diana, was originally found on the streets of Boston in the middle of an ice storm with double pneumonia & half starved...95 lbs. She weighs 145 lbs. now & is trim. She is truly the sweetest Dane I've ever had. We can only think that she had to fight other dogs on the streets, but she doesn't seem to care much about food. That is what is so weird...she eats, of course, but like most Danes she has a so so appetite. If the cat decides to eat her food, she just stands there & watches with a silly grin on her face!
I also do some work with rescues through my job...2 wildlife rescues, 3 cat rescues, & 2 cat & dog rescues. Most of these people operate on their own money mostly, along with whatever donations they can get. They have my deepest respect.
As for the neuter/spay issue - please! I cannot believe sometimes the things people have said to me on that one! I have noticed in my work that when neutering is mentioned to a man, he will automatically cross his legs! This is so common we stand there & wait for it! And they do it whether they are going to neuter the animal or not - too funny. My boss has this approach: he asks if they are going to breed the dog or cat, & if so why? If it is a show dog or cat we just give them the info we think they need to do a proper job. If not, my boss just says something like, oh, ok then in a few weeks we'll be neutering little Spot. This is how that will happen. And 9 times out of 10 it works!
Thanks for your interest, I love to talk about animals! :)
Ruth

Thanks for the update

Mogambo, Thanks for the update, sure hope you'll be able to share some good news about Snuggles with us soon! I'm really meeting lots of heros here on this board :)!

Ruth, Thanks so much for sharing about the rescue operations you're involved with! I just love to talk about animals too, can't get enough. Glad you've gotten some good links, hope all that info helps you rescue lots of great animals. Please give Diana and your kitty hugs for me, I think I'm going to go play with mine now, they're just so irresistible :)!

RE: Thanks for the update

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-01 AT 06:25PM (Est)[/font][p]http:\\adoptpetshelter.org is another web site you may want to try.

RE: Thanks for the update

Brinley,
They are irresistable aren't they? :)
So nice to meet another animal nut on the forum! What pets do you have? Feel free to email me if you want to talk more!
Ruth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.