Need some tips - FAST

nancy324

Cathlete
On Thursday I was given the good news that I am getting the great raise I asked for at work. DH and I have been kind of flying high and wanting to celebrate. DH said I should pick any restaurant in NY and have the meal of my dreams. I've had a cold and my sinuses were so clogged on Thursday it made no sense to go out to eat. Then Friday I was even worse. I made reservations to have a fabulous dinner at an Indian restaurant tonight with a tasting menu and a wine flight. But my sinuses are not letting up. I'm trying to decide whether to cancel the reservation. I've only got about 5 hours now.

I know a few people have recommended Zicam. I saw an "intense sinus" Zicam spray. Should I try that? Is there anything that might free up my sinuses that anyone knows of? I fear I will have to cancel again tonight and I am soooo frustrated from this unending sinus congestion.

Thanks for any tips!

-Nancy

Congrats and sorry about the head cold! I haven't tried the Zicam spray, but it sounds like it couldn't hurt. You could also use a saline nasal spray--should offer some temporary help. Or Sudafed, if that's still sold? Again, might give you some temporary relief so you can enjoy your dinner (as will spicy Indian food--that will clear your sinuses faster than anything else!). Which restaurant are you going to?

I don't know about the Zicam spray, but have used the nasal gel. The gel isn't for immediate relief, it's to reduce the length and severity of an oncoming cold.

I have great immediate relief from Afrin Sinus spray though (any of the Afrin forumulas would probably work).

Diane

You might google Zicam first. Last year or the year before there were various lawsuits against it. A lot of people had a permanent loss of sense of smell.

I used it for a week and it worked great, but then I saw all the lawsuit info and started worrying and quit using it.

Colleen

Thanks Robyn, Bunbun and Diane. I just cancelled because I can't bear to spend all that money and not fully enjoy myself. Maybe we'll just go out locally somewhere where I can get a big bowl of steamy udon soup or something to clear out my sinuses. I picked up some Airborne and some Afrin nasal spray.

Bunbun, the restaurant is called Devi. It's on 18th between Broadway and 5th. Right near Paragon actually. We ate there last New Year's Eve but they jacked up the price of the tasting menu for New Year's Eve and the waitress suggested that we come back some other night to try it. I've been meaning to go back ever since.

I'm a bit bummed, but I'm sure we'll get there very soon.

-Nancy

So sorry to hear that you're not feeling well but I'm SO happy about your raise. It's definitely better to celebrate when you're feeling better. CONGRATULATIONS!

Congratulations on the raise. I think you did the right thing by cancelling. Take care of yourself and reschedule for an evening you can really enjoy. Have a happy, relaxing holiday weekend.

Just a thought: I think I remember that you are a real foodie, so if you like sushi, just take a giant dab of wasabi. It always clears my sinuses, and for me, it's the texture of the sushi that's almost as important as the flavor. I use the Zicam swabs at the first sign of a cold coming on, and it has definitely worked for me. I also use saline spray.

By the way, my favorite French restaurant in NYC is Boeuf a la Mode on the upper East side. It's TRES reasonable and it's been there forever--family owned and a great prix fixe meal if you want to save money.

Thanks so much, Nancy. Actually, I was thrilled with myself just for getting up the confidence to ask for the raise. I don't have as much confidence in myself as I would like to, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Actually getting what I asked for, while in some ways less important, pretty much launched me off the happiness meter into outer space.

Nancy, weren't you away? How was your trip?

-Nancy

LOL garance! Yes, wasabi certainly has it's sinus-opening qualities. I can't get enough of the stuff.

I'll check out the restaurant. Thanks!

-Nancy

I'll have to try that restaurant--it's about a block from my office. There's also the Bread Bar at Tabla, at Madision and 24th, I think. Great "bar" for tasting Indian dishes, but wow, we spent a fortune there.

My usual meal when I'm really sick is wonton soup and vegetable fried rice with lots of hot mustard to clear my sinuses. Tonight we're going to have Christmas eve dinner at our favorite Japanese restaurant, if it's open.

CONGRATULATIONS on your raise, I am sure it was well deserved! Great Job!

I am sorry that your sinuses are giving you trouble. I know how painful that can be. Actually, the wasabi is a great idea. When you said "indian food", I immediately thought "that'll do 'er". Really, I hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy your celebration dinner. I'm jealous...indian food...yum!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm so useless on this one...

I know, Bunbun, I had trouble finding a restaurant that was open tonight, and then realized it was the perfect night for Indian. I'll bet the Japanese place is open too.

Devi is rated "Moderate to Expensive". With the tasting menu and the wine flight I was planning, it would definitely fall into the "Expensive" category. But you can have a more moderately priced meal there. Not exactly your every day fare, though.

Thanks so much, Sarah.

Yup, either Japanese or Indian is in the cards for tonight. But tonight I'll go with an inexpensive place. You're right, my sinuses are painful.

Congratulations!

I'd cancel the reservation and reschedule for a time when you are feeling better, so you can fully enjoy your celebration meal.

"I'd cancel the reservation and reschedule for a time when you are feeling better, so you can fully enjoy your celebration meal."

I agree 100%. Still, order spicy to open things up.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We went out for cheap Indian tonight and I really enjoyed it. Apparently, I'm still able to taste. I called my Mom who gets lots of sinus infections, and she said there is no real remedy, you just have to let it run its course and it takes about 10-14 days. Oh well.

We're going to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in a few minutes.

How was your Japanese Bunbun?

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.