neck strain and work modifications

db5

Cathlete
I'm suffering from neck strain secondary to my work environment. I am a PA and spend 8 out of 10 hours sittingat a desk charting which requires me to lean over and write all the time. My neck and upper back are so tight and sore from this. I feel better when I'm off work but as soon as I go back it flares up again. Any ideas on modifications i can make at work. Someone suggested a clip board to bring the chart to me so I can sit up straight while writing. I just started physical therapy and am so frustrated because they said no working out until I am feeling better. I need someone to tell me it's going to be okay. Thanks.

It'll be fine, but you definitely need to modify your desk space, otherwise you're just building a recurring problem.

I agree with the clip board idea, or if you can post the charts onto a nearby wall, and either sit or stand while you work.

Given that it's causing physical problems, which can lead to worker's compensation claims, you should work with your boss/HR department. The should work with you to find a position that is comfortable for you to work that will not exacerbate the injury.

In the meantime, make sure that you're stretching the area.
I sit at a desk all day as well, and see a massage therapist as a result. He says that the majority of people he sees are just like us, where they are cramped in a position all day. The #1 mistake that every makes is not stretching frequently throughout the day.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

Take frequent breaks - every hour if you have to, until it gets better. Then do it every two or three hours. Do lots of upper body stretches during the breaks - for the shoulders and back, and do head rolls, stuff like that.

You might ask your doctor to prescribe a muscle relaxant that you can take before you go to bed, so you can get a good sleep and let the muscles unwind.

I've had to do these things and really make a point to maintain a regular break schedule. It helps a lot.

Can you have your workers comp company recommend someone for an ergonomic evaluation? Or perhaps someone else like a physical therapist do the evaluation?

Sounds very much like you need to have your workstation changed or get some opinions on a better way of working.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.