Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

My husband's cholesterol

This is a discussion on My husband's cholesterol within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I thought I could either search the web (yawn), or just ask the forum. So here I am. He's 33 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 08:11 PM
cid

Default My husband's cholesterol

I thought I could either search the web (yawn), or just ask the forum. So here I am. He's 33 with a cholesterol of 270, high LDLs and slightly low HDLs. He's 6'4" and 200-205 pounds, grandpa died at 56, dad (59 years old) has had multiple mini-strokes for the past 5-8 years along with high blood pressure. Eats fairly well, doesn't exercise...I guess if you've been tall and skinny all your life, exercise isn't a priority. At any rate, both he and I would like to know what non-medicinal options are out there. He's on a 30-day trial of Zocar (sp?), but if long-term medicinal treatment can be avoided all the better. His doc said that since it's predominantly genetic, life-style changes would not affect it much. Any input, experience, advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, CinDee
Old 12-13-2002, 09:06 PM

Default RE: My husband's cholesterol

My husband is exactly the same! Although our doctor told him lifestyle changes wouldn't help, he gave up all dairy and red meat, food combined and his cholestrol dropped 100 points!!!!!
Cookiebaby

Old 12-13-2002, 10:04 PM

Hi CinDee,

Please see the following thread - I think you'll find a lot of helpful info:

http://64.225.138.194/dcforum/Open/4258.html

Jen
Old 12-14-2002, 11:37 AM

Dear CinDee
My husband was in the same situation as yours. His dad died at 60 from a heart attack and an fraternal uncle died at 45 while shoveling snow.

At the age of 32, my husband's total cholesterol levels were in the high 270's while his HDL was in the very low 20's. In an effort to combat this using non-medical methods we started an exercise regime and completely revamped our diets. For more than 8 years we tried every thing that we could. The glass of wine, grapefruits, walnuts, olive oil. But the cholesteral levels hardly budged. You know I don't think at the time his doctor believed that we were exercising as much or eating as healthy as we said we were.

When he turned 39 he made an appointment with a cardiologist. The doctor put him on 10 mg of Zocor daily. Within 2 weeks (no kidding) his total cholesterol droped to 165! His HDL's inched up slightly. We were stunned, but his doctor explained it by saying that even though my husband's diet was so healthy and his exercise routine so intense (we were totally into cathe at that time, still are!) that his liver was still producing an over abundanace of cholesterol and that the Zocor was need suppress his liver's excess output of the cholesterol.

Today, at age 46, my husband is still on Zocor, (he has added Niaspan which is a niacin product to increase his HDLs), we eat very clean and he does all of Cathe's workouts, including Rythmic Step :-wow His total cholesterol is in the 170's and his HDLs have edged into the mid 40's (not great, but way better than 22). He has passed 2 nuclear stress test with flying colors.

Cindee, I am certainly not trying to make a case for going on meds, but if your doctor feels the problem is genetic...

My husband did every thing right but nothing worked until the Zocor. So you can understand that after 8 years of banging my head against the wall how I feel now. During that time I became an expert on low-fat and no-fat cooking. I can modify almost any recipe! I also became a certified fitness instructor and a certified personal trainer.

If you have not seen a cardiologist I highly recommend it. It's worth the $$ to get an expert's advice.

Sorry to be so wordy but this is a topic that is near and dear to my "heart."

You can e-mail me at russotax@cs.com if you would like.

good luck
debbie
Old 12-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Catheite

Default Hi Debra. I have a question...

if you don't mind. My husband is 36 and was just recently put on medication for his cholesterol. It's genetic as well. Also, though, I'm sure we can improve eating habits. I used to eat well, but lately I am not.

My question is, could you recommend a good cookbook for someone with high cholesterol who doesn't like beans. How will I get my husband away from dairy and red meat? Is it okay to eat fat-free dairy products? Thanks!

Old 12-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Debra

Default RE: Hi Debra. I have a question...

Sorry to step in, I know you were asking the other Debra. Here are 2 books that I gave my stepfather when he needed to lower his cholesterol. Actually anything by these 2 authors/researchers would be useful for someone battling heart disease.

Dr. Weill's "Eating Well for Optimum Health"
Dr. Dean Ornish's "Eat More, Weigh Less"

Debra
Old 12-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Catheite

Default Oh good!!!

No, thank you, too! I'm greatful for anyone with recommendations! I've been wanting an excuse to buy Dr. Ornish's book, anyway. ;-) Thank you!! :-)

Hollie

Old 12-14-2002, 01:05 PM
cid

Thanks everyone for your input. Fortunately I have Dr. Ornish's book, so I'll break that one out. Your encouragement and advice is wonderful, and thanks for the link. I'll tell Greg (my husband) all about it. The only catch would be his willingness to re-vamp his diet and activity in a hare-core kind of way. I've been eating that way and exercising for years, and he hasn't really joined me. If anyone else has something to offer, let me know! I'm taking it all in! CinDee
Old 12-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Debra

CinDee,

Maybe your husband doesn't know how to begin a fitness program. And if you're a fitness addict, he may be intimidated or just discouraged. One doesn't have to do much to get cardiovascular benefits. So maybe he's actually a Masters swimmer, cyclist or runner & he just doesn't know it. I'm convinced that the only way someone will keep exercise in their routine is if they discover an activity they truly enjoy. My problem is having too many activities I enjoy but that's another story.

Good luck!!
Debra
Old 12-14-2002, 08:59 PM

Have you ever heard of Red Yeast Rice? I know of people who use that and were able to get off the Zocor or Lipitor

Here's one link:

http://www.nutritionworks-online.com/articles_13.htm