Mirena birth control

I did a search and found little discussion...

Anyone here use Mirena for birth control? I am looking for reviews from active women. Thanks!

dont know anything on the topic but wanted to say that its nice hearing from you on the boards. I miss all your wonderful advice. not to take up your post but please inform us on your low heart rate training on another post please!

Hi Laura! The HR training is going really well. I ran a 3:34:05 in Akron in September. Wanted to run Columbus just for fun, nice and relaxed...even though it was 3 weeks post Akron, I still ran a 3:42 in Columbus. Felt great after both. For the next 3 weeks after that, I did run but never allowed my HR to reach "aerobic"...kept it in "recovery" zone. Best post marathon plan I ever did because I felt amazing!

Right now, I am base building...keeping everything nice and easy...allowing my body to create new mitochondria. About 8 weeks before my next taper, I will "sharpen"...and that is when I will decrease the mileage but add speed work.

Meanwhile, I want to remain "unpregnant". We are so happy with the family we have now and love all the new and exciting things we are able to do with our kids. I am fearful that our current method of birth control is going to fail us so I am looking for something with a higher % of effectiveness (abstanence is out of the question...DH looks too darn good).

I use Mirena and I love it. I have never had children, but was still able to use it. I used to get migraines with each cycle, but have not had a period in 3 years so I don't get the migraines anymore. It did hurt going in and for the next couple of days, but after that I don't even think about it. All in all it was a great decision for me.

thanks sarah! as for birth control, my DH took care of that, we dont have to worry anymore, 3 was enough for us and I didnt want to have to worry, can be more spontaneous!!!!

Hi Sarah,

I have been on Mirena now for over 1 yr and I love it. I have no periods or cramps. I told my ob/gyn I didn't want any hormonal pills or IUDs and she assured me that Mirena is very effective, the small amt of estrogen is strictly restricted to the area it's located in and I would have no period after a few weeks. It's good for 5yrs and if I would like more kids it's effective right away.

Hope this helps.

I've had mine for four years after two children and it is the best. No problems at all. No periods! The string is way up there so you have to feel for it.

My insurance covered it, I think half anyway. It was spendy, but I would pay for the whole thing if I needed to. Nothing to think about and extremely effective!

Good Luck with your decision,
Mary

>So can you tell it is there?
>
>Did your insurance over it?
>
>Any "removal thread" visible?

After the first couple of days (which were simply "crampy") You should not be able to tell that you have the Mirena inserted.

You will need to check with your individual insurance company to determine if it is covered. You can call the number on your insurance card & ask. Most insurances have their own "birth control" department that they will transfer you to. It may take a couple of days to make the determination.

There is no removal thread visible & you & your partner should not feel it. It does (should) sit just outside of your cervix but unless you go "looking" for it with your finger, you should not feel it. It's only a few centimeters long.

The first few of months (3) I had really long but really light periods--I mean almost 2 weeks long but I didn't need anything more than a panty liner. My boobs hurt like hell during this time. My doctor told me that was normal. I haven't been lucky enough to not have periods but my periods are considerably lighter than they used to be. And I don't have cramps at all now!

What about after 5 years...is removal expensive?

It doesn't look like my insurance covers it (medical insurance SUCKS) but I am still considering it.

Now I am more curious about what to expect after 5 years...removal and/or replacement.

I've had it for about 6 months. I found the insertion to be extremely painful but the doctor said she's never had anyone react the way that I did. I was also in a lot of pain for a few hours after, but I finally called and got a heavy duty pain killer for me. After I took it, I slept for 4 hours and haven't had any pain since.

I haven't had a period since it went in. Husband has never mentioned feeling it. Other than the initial pain, it's been wonderful.

I forget what the doctor told me about having it taken out. But someone told me that the only reason you have to take it out in 5 years is because that's when the hormones run out. I think that if you don't need the hormones, you can keep it in. I do remember the doctor saying that taking it out is very easy.

It's the best thing I've ever done....but it really hurt going in...it felt like I was being ripped in half...after 6 months I have no periods, no daily cravings(on the pill I craved sugar all the time),and I've lost 8 pounds....I wish I'd done it years ago

Okay, so no acne from the hormones or anything like that?

Have ANY of you ladies gained any weight with this thing?

One more question...last night i was thinking...this thing is said to be 99.9% accurate. WHAT IF...the 0.1% happens and I manage to conceive. Is the baby going to have problems?

BTW you guys are helping me so much and I really appreciate it!:*

I just wanted to respond to the insertion pain. I remember it feeling a bit uncomfortable (similar to a PAP) but nothing extreme at all. Everyone is different.

I don't think it has caused me to gain weight, my eating too much takes care of that ;-)

I do think it might cause a miscarriage if you get pregnant and need to take it out. But the chances of that are so slim. But, that is something you will have to decide for yourself, of course!

Mary

<One more question...last night i was thinking...this thing is said to be 99.9% accurate. WHAT IF...the 0.1% happens and I manage to conceive. Is the baby going to have problems?>

When the literature states the IUD is 99.9% effective, this is referring to preventing "pregnancy" not conceptions. There is no clear evidence how often conceptions occur. Keep in mind one of the ways the IUD may prevent "pregnancy" is by altering the lining of the uterus, which may prevent implantation.

If implantation occurs, the risk of miscarriage is higher. For more info go to the Warnings found here on page 3:
http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf?C=&c=

or here:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/birth-control/intrauterine-devices.htm

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.