MIRALAX EVERYDAY - OKAY?

A

amanda12485

Does anyone take Miralax daily for chronic constipation? Does it work for you, i have heard that people with chronic constipation take it daily and it works great for them to regularly>

My pediatrician prescribes it for my son (its over the counter now) and it works like a charm.;) He said that it's safe to take daily and not harmful to stop. I only give it to him if he's having a 'hard time'. Within 8hrs he's having a smooth time. :p
I would absolutly recommend it!

i don't use it every day. Maybe 2 times a week. It just depends on how constipated I am that week. But I have never used it every day. Not sure if you are supp to or not. I just want to see if I can remedy the situation w/foods and natural things first. Coffee each morning works for me, but when it doesn't that's when I turn to the Miralax.

Miralax's website says no more than 7 days.

Directions
Do not take more than directed, unless advised by your doctor
The bottle top is a measuring cap marked to contain 17 grams of powder when filled to the indicated line (white section in cap)
Adults and children 17 years of age and older:
Fill to top of white section in cap, which is marked to indicate the correct dose (17g)
Stir and dissolve in any 4 to 8 ounces of beverage (cold, hot or room temperature), then drink
Use once a day
Use no more than 7 days
Children 16 years of age or under: ask a doctor

http://www.miralax.com/miralax/hcp/productinformation.jsp

use no more than 7 days UNLESS it's under the direction of your health care provider.
very safe and effective for those who haven't had relief by adding fiber and exercise.
julie

use no more than 7 days UNLESS it's under the direction of your health care provider.
very safe and effective for those who haven't had relief by adding fiber and exercise.
julie

thanks Julie....I wasn't sure that the OP was under a doctor's care. :)

Milk of magnesia works for me for those occasions, ususally after TOM and when I lift heavy and can't get rid of the bloat. Also magensia supplements work well.

When my daughter was 5, about 4 years ago, she had chronic constipation and her pediatrician had her take it daily for 6 weeks to get her system regular. It worked very, very well.

Problems of the digestive system...

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was seven. A colonoscopy was used to diagnose it, although I wasn't given another one until I was fourteen, possibly because doctors don't like to give too many of those to young patients. I had the third last year, when I was seventeen, and now have those every two years. Anyone who has ever prepped for one knows that the day before isn't fun. I think I had to drink 32 ounces of Miralax in one day. It produced horrific side effects, the most of which was painful bloating that made it impossible to move around. That was the second worst colonscopy I had since I was seven, when the pain was due to the colitis. I think of that incident every time someone mentions Miralax.

That being said, if it helps you to do your business, I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. Seeing as how I wasn't born with a wonderful digestive system, I had to learn quickly how to handle irregularity. Have you tried fiber pills? Those work pretty well to keep me regular. If you tend not to go frequently enough, try more fruits and vegetables. You could also eat more whole grains if you're not already eating enough of them, and try to exclude preservatives from your diet, again, if you're not already. These can be found in the most unlikely places. There may also be one ingredient to which you're sensitive. Carageenan, for example, gives me diarrhea. There's also the various powders (i.e Metamucil) that you can try. There may be an adjustment period, though, so be prepared.

A little bit of irony to this thread: The OP and I have the same first name. Nice to meet another Amanda.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.