Maribeth or Aquajock or Honeybunch

lwseymour

Cathlete
I consider you ladies experts and very much value your opinions, hope you don't mind a question.

I used to have to separate my cardio from strength. I enjoyed them both separately but not together (for whatever reason I don't know). Anyway I have now completely changed my mind!! I am now loving the combination circuit training like Cardio & Weights and Circuit Max. I also love that in one hour, I get everything, strength, cardio, abs, and stretching. Here's the question, "Is it okay if this is the only strength training I get"? I am not looking for major definition or strength, only enough toning to prevent the loss of muscle due to aging and prevent osteoporosis. (I guess what I'm saying is I only want enough strength training to get my vegetables so to speak) Will doing 2 or 3 circuit workouts like these per week accomplish my goals? Thanks so much!
Lisa

Hi, Lisa! I'm flattered to be asked!

Just my humble thoughts -

Like you, I'm a circuit maven; in fact, right now I'm in the midst of a 2-circuit-workout-per-week stint on top of my 2 aqua classes and - of course - I-Max Sunday. However, I prefer only to use a moderately-loaded barbell (45 lbs) for these circuits, rather than the compound upper / lower body stuff in C-Max. And, I do slow squats / lunges with a heavier weight load after that, as well as targeted upper body strengthening afterward.

My understanding with circuit-style workouts is that the resistance intervals' purpose is far more to maintain an elevated heart rate than strengthen the muscles. That said, resistance work can only be beneficial regardless of whether it's within the circuit routine or stand-alone lifting.

I would suggest that you consider doing a couple-three weeks of your fave circuit-style workouts, and the third-fourth week shift over to straight-up cardio and then targeted strength training. That would give you the targeted strengthening that you need, IMHO, while at the same time honoring your personal preference for circuit workouts.

Just a suggestion!

A-jock

I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as Maribeth and Miz A-Jock, and I like what A-Jock had to say, so I will add a "ditto to the above advice."

Just Do It! :)

Boy you girls are fast to respond. Thanks a million for the advice. I have printed it out and will probably give it a try. I always seem to be extreme, I either want to do all cardio and nothing else, or all strenth training and nothing else and now for the first time I want to do all circuit workouts and nothing else. I wish I could find a happy medium. I guess I like concentrating on one thing at a time. But since there are 3 components of exercise, that doesn't work so well! Any other extremers out there? What's your routine like?
Happy weekend!
Lisa

chiming in

Hi Lisa! I tried to email you but your address was not available! The timing on this post caught my attention! I just created a circiut training program for someone who wanted to downsize their bulk from a slow and heavy training program to a more lean physique! Circuit training provides many purposes--It's an adaptable routine for any rotation that works all major(minor) muscle groups! It's a great way to break a sweat and provide a low impact cardiovascular workout(or high impact)depending on what your looking for and how you are sequencing it during the week along with your other workouts! Since you stated your goals are to maintain what you have-- I agree with your inital intentions of 2-3 days a week (not only for maintenance but for total body conditioning too) Good luck on your goals and Take care Your friend in fitness~~Francine

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-03 AT 02:46PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey, Lisa!
I'm slow with responding here! You've gotten good advice from A-jock and Honeybunch. As far as your combo training goes, if you are achieving your goals with the training style you are using and aren't having any problems related to it, go for what you enjoy.

I'm a resistance training maven--putting the bulk of my exercising time into my weight work has done incredible things for my body--things that my favorite combo training class just didn't do. But, I'm of the body type that needs to focus on resistance training over cardio to get me where I want to go.

I used to be a super large amounts of cardio work person--but with my body type, I ended up with sore joints, super stringy appearing muscles and being tired all the time. When I dropped my cardio training down to no more than 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, I saw a huge improvement. Again, that's based on my specific body type.

Long, convoluted way of saying that if what you are doing works and isn't giving you any problems, keep at it! I do an upper and lower body split, twice a week for each, doing cardio on the other days. I also have karate twice a week, with one of the classes being the most intense interval training workout I've ever done.

Good luck!
Maribeth

RE: chiming in

Thanks Maribeth. I may try the combo thing for a few more weeks and see how it goes. I build muscle easily and get stocky looking very quickly so perhaps Cardio & WEights and Circuit Max will be enough strength training for me? I will give it a try and if not then I will go back to PH or Muscle Endurance added in once per week.

Thanks Francine. Sorry about the email problem, I will check into that. Not sure what went wrong there.

Thanks everybody!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.