Magazine advice . . .

Chrissysu

Cathlete
Hello, all,

I am thinking about treating myself to a new magazine subsciption, but I need a recommendation. I used to get Muscle and Fitness Hers, but they went under. I really liked their fitness articles, routines and recipes. I'm looking for a good fitness magazine. What are your favorites and why?

Thanks so much for your help!

Chrissy
:*

I have only read once issue but Oxygen seems pretty good. i am looking for a better fitness mag myself so i want to try it out. fitness and shape just aren't doing it for me.

EDIT:Fitness RX is pretty good but its only 6 issues a year and its a bit more expensive.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Oxygen is great if you can over look all the diet pill and supplement ads...which takes a strong woman to begin with!

I decided not to renew FitnessRX because the articles are almost the same as the other magazines, the pill ads and the 6 issues per year. Not to mention that the models aren't nearly the caliber (in my opinion) as the women in Oxygen. That is huge for me...

Oxygen is #2 on my list. #1 is Runner's World...I'm trying to become a runner!

I will never renew Fitness again, I am pissed about an article they ran a few months ago...don't get me started.

I will probably renew Shape again out of habit.

Ok, Ima,

Now I'm super curious, so I'm sooo sorry for getting you all riled up, but what was the article that Fitness posted a little while back? Once again, sooo sorry for getting you started!

Chrissy

I'd never heard of Hers Sports until tonight, but it is the magazine published by Martha Stewart's new Apprentice. Maybe someone has read it before and can give their opinion...

Also, Martha mentioned her new magazine at the end of the show: Body + Soul. I haven't read that one either, but I think it is partially about fitness.

Just some suggestions.

Hi Chrissy,

My favorite is "Women's Health", published by the same folks who have "Men's Health". You can check it out at:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/

It has some good articles and variety, humor, and is intelligent. However, it is unlike most other fitness mags that are out there. I also like Oxygen, but for different reasons, and still buy FitnessRx but have found it repetitive and overpriced.
I am done reading Fitness, Shape and Oxygen in about 1/2 hour, but I get more time and enjoyment out of Women's Health. As a matter of fact, almost all of the above go to the recycle bin, but I have kept all of my Women's Health for the preceding year.

HTH, Julie

I subscribe to Fitness, Shape and Men's Health and get a lot of good exercises for my classes from all of them. I've tried others, but these remain my favorites. I get every book Men's Health publishes, also, with my current favorite being The Abs Diet.
Just Do It! :)

>Hi Chrissy,
>
>My favorite is "Women's Health", published by the same folks
>who have "Men's Health".
Mine, too.

I recently picked up a copy of Women's health after reading about it on this forum. I liked it very much. I have too many subscriptions right now, but I'm a little tempted. Will see if I buy it a couple more times on the news stand and like it I just might.
Heather

Chrissy, No need to apologize!:) Time heals all wounds!

No, seriously...I think it was the September issue that had a 7 day diet plan consisting of nothing but fast food. No where did it mention why this is such a bad idea. I think that a magazine like that (visible at every grocery checkout) attracts women with with a wide range of physical/health goals. It can attract women with 150 pounds to loose and has diabetes and it can attract those who have no extra weight to loose and just want the latest health research or the latest workout trends. My point is, because of it's accessabilty it has a high potential to attract women who don't know any better and a fast food diet sounds like a good idea to them. The article does not list the health hazard of a fast food diet.

IMO, that article was a horrible mistake.

Oh my gosh! Ick! I can't believe they'd "recommend" a fast food diet either! I can't even imagine how that would make a person feel! Fast food always makes me feel slow and bloated.

I think a lot of so called fitness magazines should be called how to get skinny magazines. That is why they publish articles on fast food diets and things along those lines. x(

I am the magazine subscription queen. Right now I get Glamour, Marie Clare, Oxgyen, Self, Shape and Natural Health. I know I will probably let Glamour and Shape run out. Shape I find myself flipping through but not really reading any of the articles. Oxygen is closer to what I want in a fitness magazine. However it also has it's flaws. You have to ignore all the ads for supplements. What is even worse is when the people who make the supplements disguise the ad as a regular article. Despite it's flaws Oxygen is still the only magazine that I get a little giddy about getting every month. Nothing else even comes close.

Women's Health is my favorite, too. I get Oxygen, but won't be renewing. I can't stand the supplement and sex ads!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.