Lower Ab work

Pollytc

Cathlete
What do you find to be the best exercises for the lower abs - whether it be at home, a particular workout dvd/video, or at the gym? My lower abs have been cut on four times, so I know they will never be great, but wondering what works best for you.

Thanks!

Kim

Any and all of Cathe's ab workouts work the lower abs as do planks. I have had 3 c-sections and even though there is a layer of fat over top of my abs you can feel the six-pack that is under if you know how and where to feel for it. I know there is a lady here that has had 10 kids and has a flat tummy and she works her abs every day. I have started doing that and it is working along with a lower carb diet.:)

Hope that helps you some.:D

I'd like to add here that "lower abs" don't actually exist--your abs are two verticle muscles. So any ab exersize you do works the lower as well as upper part of the muscle.

Also, to get a "six pack" you really should work your abs as you do any other muscle, meaning don't aim for 200 crunches or leg lifts a day, and weights should be used in order to build the muscle (it is not true that you get a six pack by overworking and thereby shrinking your abs).

Abs should be worked once or twice a week. I do two exersizes. One is just a normal crunch on the floor, but I put a 45 lb plate on my head--four sets of 15. The other is a cable crunch at about 100 lbs, 4 sets of 15. I vary this every once in a while but the basic principles remain the same. I've been doing this workout for about 6 years & definitely have the six pack.

Maximus,

I like the idea of a plate or weight on your head. Do you put it on top of your forehead? Just trying to get an idea of how I should be doing it.

Maybe you should give Pilates a try. There are several great moves duing a Pilates workout where you can feel your lower tummy muscles working...for ex., the hundred, teasers, roll-ups, leg circles. I also use a video by Kari Anderson called "Curl." It is a great ab workout that last about 16-20 minutes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.