Living in London

NY25

Cathlete
Does or has anyone here ever lived in London? Opinions / thoughts? I understand it is crazy expensive. What else?

NY25: I would love to live in London...but I can offer you no advice :(. Do you have to move there for work? If so, I am jealous.

My husband is from England and I lived there for a few years. I lived in Bristol, but went to London a lot. I can't give you info about living in London, but I can give you some general info about living in the UK.

I am from Chicago and I found UK summers to be on the chilly side. The upside is you can usually get a cheap flight to somewhere in the Med.

There are many cool museums and sights in London.

There is a better railway network than there is here, so you can jump on a train and see another UK city, such as Bath and Chester...typical Yank tourist stops. ;)

You won't have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), if show your US passport when shopping.

Depending on where you are from in the States, you may find an English winter more mild. I did, but I am from Chicago--so consider the source.

Things are smaller there, housing, cars, yards, some roads. How much smaller depends on where you're from here.

I don't know how helpful any of this to you, since it's not about London, per se, but my experiences as an American living there. FWIW, I had a great time living there. I love the English people and I go back every chance I get, even though it means staying with my MIL. :p

Yeah, like our news here in the U.S. is independent! I take BBC news over the U.S.'s "fair and balanced news" anytime.

OK, I mentioned about having to pay a fee ust to be able to watch TV. On the tops of the houses, there are lights that are on for the TVs. My post had nothing to do with content.

Thanks, Jen! Yes, I may have an opportunity there. The cost of living is what I hear the biggest issue is. I currently live in NY and London is even more expensive. As for winters - I see your Chicago and raise you a Wisconsin! I love the cold and hate hot summers, so the weather would probably not be an issue for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.