A little ticked....

gidget1978

Cathlete
Yesterday I went to the mall and picked out two dresses that I really liked. I was going to buy them both, take them home, get everyone elses opinion and then return the other one.
When I was getting checked out the lady told me that it was a final sale. I thought about it for a min, liked both dresses, have 2 weddings this summer so figured I would keep them both. I kind of figured out why it was a final sale, not b/c they were on sale, cause they weren't but I guess they have alot of problems with kids wearing the dress and then returning it.

Last night I tried on both dresses and thats when I came to realize that one dress was falling apart. I marched back to the store today, figuring they would do something but she was very hesitate. She told me that they are very strict about dresses (for the same reason I posted above) and that there was nothing she could do for me. I said " so I just paid $50 for a dress that I can't wear?" There was a satin bow in the middle,and the ribbon started on the side. It was fringing away and there was nothing I could do with it.
Luckily, I knew the lady and she said " if there is another dress there just like it, in the same size we will just switch. But really Im not even suppose to be doing that" Luckily enough they had my size there.
I was sooo rotted though! Some people are making it alot harder on the honest people of this world. Just b/c someone else was being a tight arse, wearing a dress and then returning it, I would have had to keep a dress that was falling apart and lose $50! UGH!

Lori:)

I know what you mean. I refuse to shop at Brookstone anymore because of something that happened to me there. I had bought one of their "NAP" pillowcases for my husband. Apparently their return policy says that these cannot be returned for any reason. But this was never mentioned to me by the salesperson who helped me. AFTER I paid for the item, he put a copy of the return policy in the bag with the item and my receipt. Never did he mention that he was putting the return policy in there or that I would not be able to return it.

When I got home, I took it out of the package and discovered it would not fit the pillow I wanted to use it on. I didn't even put it on the pillow; when I held it up it was obvious it was too small. I put it right back in the package and headed right back to the store. They refused to take it back, insisting that they had informed me of the policy by sneaking a piece of paper in the bag with my receipt. Like I said, he never mentioned the policy, or that he was putting it in the bag. The manager was no help.

That was about two years ago, and although I used to buy from them regularly, and they still carry products I like, I haven't bought anything from them since. Grrrrrrr!

Didn't that clothing store have a fitting room? Why didn't you try the dresses on before you left the store?

Ooooo, same thing happened to me at Target. I bought a curling iron - a big fat one to make some waves in my hair, hopefully without frizz. Well, the thing did not work right. I went to take it back and they informed me that they could not take it back. It was about $30 and I wasn't going to sit on that. The guy said it was a personal care item and there were no returns. I said, "Show me where it says that." He turned around to point at the board up there. I said, "uh -huh, and... it doesn't say anything." Nowhere was a curling iron deemed a personal care product, nowhere on the receipt was it mentioned (like they do if you buy a DVD or something). I pretty much said that I would be getting a refund, that they didn't have a leg to stand on. He did it, saying that he wasn't supposed to though. Whatever. I like Target and I was going to be so bummed if I had to boycott the store!! I am a stubborn one too :)

If you use your credit card, you will never have a problem. If the store refuses to help you, all you have to do is call your credit card company. They will credit your account.

>If you use your credit card, you will never have a problem.
>If the store refuses to help you, all you have to do is call
>your credit card company. They will credit your account.
>

Yeah, I realized later that that's what I should have done.

Hmm, I don't know about that credit card part. If it was so easy then anyone could take advantage of not paying for items.

A store doesn't have to refund it's customers. They offer a product, you purchase it, and the contract between you and the store is complete. If a product is faulty it's sort of a buyer beware situation.

The stores that offer returns or exchanges are simply doing it as their customer service policy to make you happy and offer options, but they don't have to do it.

A store that doesn't offer exchange or returns should always verbally let you know before ringing the product through. Signs with small print is not sufficient. One of my fav stores has an exchange only or credit policy and they always make you sign at the bottom of your receipt confirming that you realize that. That I think is good businees and the clerks don't have to deal with customers demanding their money back.

I like how some stores (Ann Taylor is one) put tags on their dresses that say you can't return the dress if you remove the tag. And they put it somewhere on the dress where you can't hide it if you decide to wear the dress with the tag. I like to have the option to return something if I need to and I don't think I'll shop at a store with a no return policy.

Jacque

Yes, I tried the dresses on in the store but being in a rush b/c I have a 17 month old at home, I didn't have time to exam every inch of the dresses,nor do I think I should have to.
When buying something, the buyer should know that what they are buying is in perfect condition. So in that case, why don't the people in the store make sure what they are putting on the shelves is in good condition. Not everyone as time to make sure that everything is 100% when they buy it.

As for tagging, thats what they should do. They should put the tags in a place where no one can hide them so the dresses can't be worn with the tag on. I agree that things shouldn't be returned once the tags are removed but with the tags still on..why not? With this being said, I own a retail store and wouldn't expect anyone to keep anything that wasn't in perfect condition.

With all this being said, I am more ticked about the dishonest, skeets out there then I am store policies. What kind of moron wears something and then returns it?

Lori:)

"A store doesn't have to refund it's customers. They offer a product, you purchase it, and the contract between you and the store is complete. If a product is faulty it's sort of a buyer beware situation.

The stores that offer returns or exchanges are simply doing it as their customer service policy to make you happy and offer options, but they don't have to do it."

I seriously doubt the above to be true. It certainly is not true for the UK, so why would US citizens put up with having even less rights? I would check your consumer rights. Certainly, if the product is defective, you are entitled to your refund. I would remain in the store complaining and making a stink, requesting to speak to a manager until my money was refunded. Good credit card companies are always there to defend you and go to bat for you when companies prove fraudulent or less than understanding. My Discovercard always protects me. Don't accept being treated so shoddily by shops.

Clare

>Hmm, I don't know about that credit card part. If it was so
>easy then anyone could take advantage of not paying for items.
>
>
>A store doesn't have to refund it's customers. They offer a
>product, you purchase it, and the contract between you and the
>store is complete. If a product is faulty it's sort of a
>buyer beware situation.
>

Read your credit card terms. It's there in your terms and conditions. It clearly states your charge back rights with merchants within a 50 mile radius of your address.
It is called CREDIT CARD CHARGEBACK RIGHTS

Obviously if you are calling your credit card every other month, you are abusing the right and the credit card may cancel your account.

Your credit card is your buyer protection if the merchant sells you faulty merchandise and refuses to refund.
Just because a merchant says something is "not refundable" does not make it true or legal.

Edited to say, my Discover card says 50 miles from my home.
Mastercard/ Visa is 100

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/credit_card_chargeback_rights.php

>"A store doesn't have to refund it's customers. They offer a
>product, you purchase it, and the contract between you and the
>store is complete. If a product is faulty it's sort of a buyer
>beware situation.
>
>The stores that offer returns or exchanges are simply doing it
>as their customer service policy to make you happy and offer
>options, but they don't have to do it."
>
>I seriously doubt the above to be true. It certainly is not
>true for the UK, so why would US citizens put up with having
>even less rights? I would check your consumer rights.
>Certainly, if the product is defective, you are entitled to
>your refund. I would remain in the store complaining and
>making a stink, requesting to speak to a manager until my
>money was refunded. Good credit card companies are always
>there to defend you and go to bat for you when companies prove
>fraudulent or less than understanding. My Discovercard always
>protects me. Don't accept being treated so shoddily by
>shops.
>Clare

I learned this in law class. I would presume it's the same in the UK as their laws and Canadas are the same. We are so used to refund policy's that we expect it as a given but it's not. If an item is faulty and a company has a no refund policy you can purse the matter through the court system or the Better Business Bureau and such. That is your consumer right. However, most companies wouldn't bother going that far so if you create enough of a stink they will refund you. Realistically you don't have many rights as consumers it's just that companies are so willing to bend over backwards to please everybody. If you had a consumer right to exchage or return any item at any time why would companies bother with a no refund policy if they couldn't follow through with it. They simply cave if it becomes too much of a problem for them.

I worked in a clothing store where we had a no return policy and people asked to speak to managers and created a fuss but we still didn't refund the money. Store credit on faulty items. However, if they ended up calling head office and bothering them then the money was refunded just to get the person off their backs. So it depends how far you want to fight for your consumer rights.

Best policy would be to inquire about the store's policy before you buy. As we can see from the previous posts no refund policies are in effect and adhered to.

>>Hmm, I don't know about that credit card part. If it was
>so
>>easy then anyone could take advantage of not paying for
>items.
>>
>>
>>A store doesn't have to refund it's customers. They offer a
>>product, you purchase it, and the contract between you and
>the
>>store is complete. If a product is faulty it's sort of a
>>buyer beware situation.
>>
>
>Read your credit card terms. It's there in your terms and
>conditions. It clearly states your charge back rights with
>merchants within a 50 mile radius of your address.
>It is called CREDIT CARD CHARGEBACK RIGHTS
>
> Obviously if you are calling your credit card every other
>month, you are abusing the right and the credit card may
>cancel your account.
>
>Your credit card is your buyer protection if the merchant
>sells you faulty merchandise and refuses to refund.
>Just because a merchant says something is "not refundable"
>does not make it true or legal.
>
>Edited to say, my Discover card says 50 miles from my home.
>Mastercard/ Visa is 100
>
>http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/credit_card_chargeback_rights.php

Good to know re: credit card. I thought that was only for stolen credit card purchases. However what happens if you pay with debit or cash. If a merchant says it's non refundable I'm afraid it is true and legal. They can set their own policies. If it was illegal then why do reputable companies have non refund policies if they wouldn't be able to follow through with it? If it was illegal there would be no such thing as non refundable.

>Good to know re: credit card. I thought that was only for
>stolen credit card purchases. However what happens if you pay
>with debit or cash. If a merchant says it's non refundable I'm
>afraid it is true and legal. They can set their own policies.
>If it was illegal then why do reputable companies have non
>refund policies if they wouldn't be able to follow through
>with it? If it was illegal there would be no such thing as non
>refundable.
>

No doubt about it, you have more protection with a credit card than you do using cash. Debit cards should carry the same protection, but you would have to double check with the issuing bank.

It is not illegal to set the "no refund: policy, or any policy for that matter. With a credit card, it's almost impossible to enforce because of your charge back rights. If you shop ebay and see sellers writing disclaimers such as, "If you choose not to purchase shipping insurance, seller is not responsible for lost or damaged items". That is not enforceable or legal under the Federal Trade Commission. The merchant(ebay counts and online merchant) must deliver the goods in the described condition within 30 days. If the item is damaged or lost, it is the sellers problem. Shipping insurance is for the seller not the buyer. I never purchase it because I know my consumer rights and I use my credit card. Insuring a shipment is the merchant's responsibility, not the consumer.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/mailorder.shtm

I'm not sure what you could do in a case of where the defective item was paid for in cash. You could contact the local Attorney General's office. If it's mail order, Post Office under mail fraud. That could take more effort then it's worth.

I purchased a watch for a Christmas present from one to those small shops you find in the center of a mall. The watch did not fit my husband's wrist. The store would not refund my money or exchange the watch. I went to the mall's executive offices (located in the mall) and told them what was going on. The mall refunded my money on the spot and told me that I could keep the watch. I refused to keep the watch out of principle. The mall can force the vendor to refund.
Oh, it is not uncommon for a consumer to win a charge back claim and be allowed to keep the item. Just read the forums on ebay and you will see countless threads about unscrupulous buyers abusing charge back rights.

I've had Discover card 10 years and filed one charge back. The merchant did not deliver and would not answer emails. After I won the claim, the merchant called to apologize. His son was running his business and lost my order. Funny, they kept my money until I filed a claim!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.