Lifting Heavy

katie lee

Cathlete
I've been doing some research lately about heavy lifting. I'm talking women 5' 4" 130 lbs dead lifting 300lbs, bench pressing over 100 lbs. Does anyone on our forem lift like this? I usually try to follow Cathe's lead with weight same or a little less. I do not even own enough weight to attempt lifting like this. I only have a bar bell with 70 lbs and dumb bells up to 25. I have maxed them out and considering getting more weights. Any advise from Cathletes?

Katie, I for one, simply can't lift that heavy. When I tried going very heavy (just in STS), I was rewarded with tennis elbow. I have been suffering from it ever since - it's been over 2 years. I'm 58, & my tendons/ligaments are not flexible & according to my Physical Therapist, it will never get any better. :(
On a side note, I no longer have any hot flashes, thanks to your recommendation of PhytoB. That stuff has saved my life!!!

I've been doing some research lately about heavy lifting. I'm talking women 5' 4" 130 lbs dead lifting 300lbs, bench pressing over 100 lbs. Does anyone on our forem lift like this? I usually try to follow Cathe's lead with weight same or a little less. I do not even own enough weight to attempt lifting like this. I only have a bar bell with 70 lbs and dumb bells up to 25. I have maxed them out and considering getting more weights. Any advise from Cathletes?
I'm punting to L Sass on this one. She is doing exactly what you are interested in.

I read something like that not too long ago. It was listing the average a woman should be able to lift and it was ridiculous (for me, at least!). All I could think was--the average body builder! Which I am not. Since I've gotten a squat rack, I have discovered I can squat 120 pounds. Possibly more, but that is every plate I own. I'm getting ready to start STS and I have the squat rack leg portion, so I may end up buying more plates for that. But still--nowhere near what I read I "should" be squatting!

Here is where I read it. It says I should be able to squat 220-280 pounds! I think the blog is for athletes/body builders. I haven't spent much time on it--but I might have to look around it some more.

I just started this in January. I had been thinking about it for a while, but equipment was holding me back as well. My husband has a small universal machine and some adjustable dumbbells and an easy-curl bar, but that's it for weights. So I finally joined a gym.

I'm really enjoying it. I am not strong (yet) by any weightlifting/ powerlifting standards, but I have been steadily increasing the weight since I started to the point where I am squatting 95lbs and deadlifting 135lbs without too much trouble (I weigh about 108). And I can do 8 unassisted chin-ups and 10 unassisted dips. I think I could deadlift more, but I'm trying to build up gradually and not hurt myself!

I don't have any of Cathe's weight workouts, but judging from the clips I've watched, when lifting really heavy you wouldn't do nearly as many reps. I'm doing a beginner program right now that started out with 5 sets of 6 reps for the different exercises and now on phase two I'm doing 6 sets of 4 reps.

I have purchased a couple of workouts from Nia Shanks (the one I'm doing now is from her "Beatiful Badass" guide. Her website niashanks.com along with girlsgonestrong.com and the individual websites of the rest of the contributors to that site have been really helpful. I've also found the blogs and youtube channels of Mike Roberston, Tony Gentilcore and Bret Contreras to be really useful.

Hope this helps!

Katie, I for one, simply can't lift that heavy. When I tried going very heavy (just in STS), I was rewarded with tennis elbow. I have been suffering from it ever since - it's been over 2 years. I'm 58, & my tendons/ligaments are not flexible & according to my Physical Therapist, it will never get any better. :(
On a side note, I no longer have any hot flashes, thanks to your recommendation of PhytoB. That stuff has saved my life!!!

I love PhytoB also! Has made a huge difference for me!!!!!!!!

Yes thanks for the link. I want to check into this further. In the rotation I am currently doing finished STS disc 32 & 34 and I find it very empowering lifting heavier.

I lift heavy - and I LOVE it. I'll be 50 in June and am pulling my heaviest weights ever.

These are essentially 1RM's.

My arse-to-grass squat max is 185, with my goal being 200 pounds. Here is a video from FB (I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it???) https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.ben...748426622291&set=vb.1043824210&type=3&theater of me squatting 200 pounds, only 1x, and only as deep as Cathe usually goes. When you go down much deeper and really push off through the heels, being careful not to rock forward to the balls of the feet is when you completely engage the back chain muscles of the body. Squatting in this manner engages like 263 muscles - nothing like it.

My deadlifts are 265 with my goal being 275 by my birthday. Bench press is definitely my weakest and I'm at 115. My behind the head shoulder presses are at 80#.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 130. I originally shared that article, above, and while I do think those numbers are a bit on the high side, I don't think they are body building numbers. Body builders pull substantially more weight. I once read that the average woman should be able (again, on a 1RM basis) to bench press her wieght and squat twice her weight. Even those are tough, but with focus and proper training in form and technique, I think they are totally doable. Most of us don't lift nearly as heavy as we are capable of, and IF we want to see body changes from weight training, not nearly as heavy as we should be.

I shared in a thread eariler this year that heavy weights HAVE helped me target my problem areas, like my saddle bags. For ME (and this is NOT for everyone) my walking lunges were most effective. I use 65# for the warm-up set. I've gotten up to 130# for 26 steps (13 each leg.) With time, clean eats and HEAVY weights, I've seen real change. So that's my long-winded 2 cents' worth of saying I think you can achieve those heavier numbers. Be careful and be smart.

Thanks so much for the link on Nia Shanks, AudryB, and L Sass, I love it...I'm just getting into working out at a gym, I've went to the Y off and on during my lifetime. I'm 51 and you have inspired me to work towards lifting heavy! Right now I go in and do the same workout as my husband but I would rather do my own.
Can you share some ideas with me and I couldn't see your link, are you on FB? If so, I'm on there my name is Sandy Lewis (Bailey).
If not I can come visit here.

Thanks ladies!

Phyto B? Just added it to my amazon cart.
I am almost 52, can still do 2 Cathe's back to back - but have the joints to prove it too....dead lift 300?!!! Uh...don't think so!

But for 15 days of the month (who needs this monthly thing anymore?!!!When will it start slowing down?!!) I have premenstrual night sweats, sleepiness, and massive depression the day before......Evening primrose, calcium mag, progesterone cream...nothing helps....so I'll try this stuff you suggest!

Thanx ladies....

Please let us know what you think of PhytoB. It worked for me the 1st day. In addition to educating myself on all the great heavy lifting websites I picked up The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler and have to pry it out of my hands to go workout-ha ha.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.