Life Alert System for Elderly

sancho

Cathlete
Hi All,

I've tried to do some research on the web but it's hard to tell what is unbiased and what is a disguised commercial.

I would like to get my father one of those home monitering systems that he can carry around a button and press it if he has a medical emergency. I was going to get LifeAlert because that's the only company I've heard of but then I've found out they are very expensive. Has anyone gotten one of these systems for themselves or someone they know? Do you have any information or feedback that might be useful? I went to www.consumerreports.org, but they haven't done any tests and the only info is blogs from customers. My dad lives in Miami if that makes a difference as to the best company. Also, does anyone know if medicare covers this?

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi, Lauren. My parents got my D-Grandmother a local company that is exactly like Life Alert. They originally started shopping around with these 'big name' companies, but became disenchanted with them for many reasons....cost, lack of personability (is that a word), and a few features. The BIG companies made my grandmother feel like a tiny fish in a big sea, where the smaller, LOCAL company really put in the Customer Service we expected (and they cost less).

One of the BIG selling points for the local company they went with was the flexibility of emergency contacts and the location (and number) of in-home speakers. My grandmother wore a bracelet button and when she fell, she was able to press the button. A speaker was placed in several locations throughout the house and the company was able to activate the speaker and ask her what happened, what room she was in, etc. Then they turned around and immediately dispatched appropriate authorities, based on the 'phone chain' my parents put into place.

I hope that helps some, but be sure to shop around...check your local yellow pages.

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.