L-Lysine for cold sores

VickyWI

Cathlete
I asked about cold sores a few days ago. Thanks for your responses. I went with the Lysine cream and pills. My immune system is a little shot with winter and kids in school etc.

Does anyone take the Lysine pills? If so, do I continue to take them everyday forever to prevent any more from coming? Do you just take them when you feel the cold sore coming? The bottle says three pills a day. That is a lot of pills every week if I continue but I don't want anymore. I hate them! The Lysine is working. The cold sore is almost gone and it didn't hurt this time.

I take L-Lysine 500mg capsules three times a day when I know I am going to be stressed. Such as the week before my period, or if I was in school during finals, during cold and flu season, or if I am really tired and not getting enough sleep.

When I am not in a stressful time I will take 1 capsule a day (500mg)to maintain my level.

L-Lysine helps prevent breakouts. If you have a breakout then 50mg of Zinc and Vitamin C daily along with the L-Lysine will also help.

Be carefull with cold sores they are easy to spread to others (mucus areas,lips,eyes and genital).

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, you did help me. I can always tell when I am going to get one by my stress level and lack of sleep so I will take three during those time and reduce to one on a daily basis once this one is gone.

Hi, Vicki--

I didn't see your earlier post about cold sores, but you have my heart-felt sympathies. I am a long-time fellow sufferer. My personal belief is if anyone is looking for proof positive that there is evil in the Universe, cold sores are it, look no further, LOL! They HURT! Plus they make you feel like you look disgusting, even worse. And, ultimate outrage against any diva's true nature: you can't wear lip color during an outbreak!

My wonderful pharmacist had me on a maintenance dosage of L-Lysine of 1-2 tablets morning and evening, and it helped considerably to prevent breakouts. It's a pain, but less pain than getting the cold sores (that feel like someone is holding a live coal to your lip for about a week)! Sadly, I haven't kept it up since I moved this fall.

However, if you want total protection that will COMPLETELY PREVENT an outbreak, you need some serious pharmaceuticals. I swear by Valtrex. Yes, I know, it's for the "other herpes" but IT WORKS! The minute, the instant, you feel that tell-tale tingle, start the course of Valtrex and you WILL NOT get a cold sore. It actually kills the virus. A course is 4 pills. You take 2 pills when you feel the tingle, then the other 2 8-12 hrs. later, and bye-bye cold sore. Simple. You need a prescription, of course. I always try to have those 4 Valtrex pills with me at all times. As soon as I use them, I get a refill so I'll be ready for the next time. My doc usually gives me a huge number of refills on my script, like 12.

The other thing that really helps, in the event you don't catch it in time and end up with one of the plagues of the universe, is to use acyclovir 5% topical ointment 6 times a day until the lesion is healed. Acylovir will kill the virus too, but not as well as the Valtrex. It cuts the outbreak time in half-- so only 3 days suffering instead of a week. You need a prescription for that too. Acyclovir is the drug name, it is also branded as Zovirax. And yes, it too is for the "other herpes." I don't go anywhere without my ointment.

And my last tip: viruses don't like heat. If you feel a cold sore coming on, take 2-3 HOT showers that day and keep the area under the hot water as much as possible. Wash the area well with soap each time. Also make yourself several mugs of hot tea or another hot beverage and hold the hot mug to your lip as often as possible for as long as you can stand it. Both of these are also tips from my wonderful pharmacist.

I wish you the best of luck with this truly hideous scourge.

I know this is long, but I have to share with you 2 of the most embarrassing moments of my life, thanks to Mr. Herpes:

My soon-to-be fiance and I were getting very serious in our relationship, and lo and behold, his parents decided to go on a camping trip in our area. He wanted me to meet the 'rents so plans were made to head out to the campsite for dinner. I woke up (and this was pre- any pharmaceuticals) the morning of the big day with the most enormous herpes lesion anyone has ever seen-- seriously, my lip was the size of a Frisbee. And of course it would have to be in that initial really disgusting blister stage. It was just... nasty. Well, there was nothing to do except go and hope that my future in-laws, who'd be meeting me for the very first time, would not notice (much).

Alas, my hope was in vain. My future MIL, a former nurse, commented on it first thing and continued to comment on it throughout the meal. I wanted to crawl under the picnic table. I could imagine her saying, later: "Nice girl-- what a shame she has that terrible disfigurement." (Are you surprised I am now divorced, LOL?)

The very next day I had my "new patient" visit with my new pcp. Who walks into the exam room accompanied by the most gorgeous male resident I have ever seen. We're talking McDreamy isn't even in the same league. So naturally, my new doc says to me (Now, how 'bout this for a catchy opener? You might want to remember it for your next cocktail party!) "Wow, that's certainly a nice big juicy herpes lesion! I hope you're not having sex."

Take care, Vicki, and good luck! Do not be afraid to seek pharmaceutical help-- it's out there, and it works. Abreva, ashmeva. Go for the real thing, baby!

Cheers!

-Karen

Karen-
I can tell you feel my pain. I don't have any really embarrassing stories but my boss picks on me for my herpes when I get one. It gets old. He is trying to be funny but it is not. I also hate not being able to kiss my husband. We are pretty physical and it sure puts a damper on things.

I was trying to avoid going to my dr but it sounds like Valtrex seems to be the best option.

Thanks for the info and the stories!

Vicky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.