This junkie got her fix!

Some of you know my IT band has been giving me fits and I have not been able to do a long run in 1 month, 2 days, 23 hours and 57 seconds. Welp...that streak is over! I had the BEST most WONDERFUL 15 mile run this a.m. It was a little warmer (30's) than it has been, sun was out, passed lots of other runners with Santa hats...it was so fun! I think it takes an unwanted break to realize how wonderful those long runs are...I mean, most of the time I was just so thankful that I was able to do it! It felt GREAT!!! Nothing will be ruining this high!! It was my way of saying "Merry Christmas, Sarah".

And Merry Christmas to all of you! Oh, and Happy Holidays! Happy Happy Holidays!!

Iliotibial band. It is a band that runs from the outside of the leg, from the hip to the top knee joint. When that thing tightens up, it causes the knee joints to grind together and the friction is very painfull. It is usually fixed by extra stretching, reduced mileage (which I have done) icing and othorotics.

Glad to hear you got your "fix" and are back to the runs you love!
Sounds like a good day to run, too.

What are some good IT band stretches you've been using?

TY for the explanation Sarah...I thought it was a technical device like a HRM! LOL :p

Well, glad to here it's better and that you had a faboo run!:)

Holy Cow! You are nuts!:) :)
Truely, you inspire me. I don't think I would be able to run that far every..b/c my knees ususally start to hurt around the 11 th mile.
You are awesome! Now, have a big treat today, you deserve it!
Lori:)

I don't think thats a typo. Or maybe she tried to make that typo}( Shes a runner and runners don't know when to stop:) Its an awesome high once you get pass the first few miles and nothing is hurting,breathing is steady and its a beautiful day out.Makes you want to keep going.
Lori:)

I just wanted to know how long does this 15 mile run take you? How long have you been running? Do you do this long run once a week and if so how long are your other runs? Do you go three or four times a week? I've just started running so I'm curios? Thanks.

Sarah...http://bestsmileys.com/signs16/19.gif[/img] I know just how you feel!! What a great X-mas gift to complete that 15 mile run!!! You are a true inspiration and I am so very happy for you...:)...Carole

I do want to answer everyone's questions...

Yes, I did mean to type "15".LOL My goal is to do my 1st marathon this May, thus ONE of the reasons for the weekly long run. The other reasons...I do love the "high" once my body settles in and the breathing is effortless. Another reason, I LOVE the "good tired" my body has after a long run...feels so good, makes me feel like a bad ass.

My 15 mile run took me 2:16:00 (2 hours, 16 minutes, 0 seconds) today. However, (in my defense) my course is super hilly. I am almost always going "up" or "down"...rarely flat.

I started running last January after buying a treadmill to compliment all my Cathe workouts. Once July rolled around, I decided to incorporate some outside running because I wanted start running races (for fun). My father did that a lot when I was a kid and we even did some kid races (no more than 2 miles)...I remembered how fun it was and needed to get back to it. I am so glad I did, my kids have so much fun at the races.

I do only one long run a week and it varies in distance. I try to stagger it so that I don't wear myself out. I'll do 15, then next week 11, then next week 13...not set in stone, but you get it. I try for a "medium" run in the middle of the week, about 7 miles. The other 3 days are shorter (4-5 miles) because 2 of them are speed runs and the other is my "nice and casual, whatever I feel like" run. I am new to the running thing so I try to take it easy.

Wow, Sarah! I sure am impressed. I thought for sure you meant 1.5 miles and forgot the period, or maybe 5 miles. Way to go!

-Nancy

Thanks so much Nancy and Debbie. Doing marathons has been a dream of mine since college. Now that the kids are a little older and I am at my healthiest...it's time to act! There is nothing more satisfying than working so hard for something that you want so bad. I know you can relate!

Wow Sara, your awesome, and you only started last January! Good for you. I'm happy for you and your coming back after this injury, good for you! I hope you are able to get through the marathon injury free. I also hope that you have a very enjoyable time while running. Just as a side note, I hope the weather stays fairly nice for a long time. I'm outside running too and it's just so much more easier if the temps are in the 20's to the 30's. Thanks for the information, it's very helpful to me.

it will be two yrs at running for me in may. i have done two 1/2 marathons and several 5k's. i also had the IT band problem about 3 months after i initially started running. i was dumb and went from 6miles being my farthest to jumping up to 13miles and after the second time doing that ,i flared my IT band up. it took me about a month to a month and a half to get it healed. that was right before my first half marathon but i was determined to run it, and i did. i love running but in the winter i am more limited because i have asthma and the cold kills my lungs. last yr at this time i couldnt run outside at all and this yr i have been running just one day outside 3-5 miles and the other days on my treadmill. running sure does give you a high, and i love it because you just clear your mind and it helps relieve any stress you have. people at work think i am nuts to run that far, once your a runner that all changes, then you understand why , you get addicted.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.