Interesting show on FitTv

nancy324

Cathlete
I was watching some show hosted by Marilu Henner on FitTv. I think it was called "Shape Up Your Life" or something. Anyway, she interviewed a knee surgeon who was very interesting. He said that there are two kinds of exercise: the kind that injures your joints and the kind that doesn't. He said that many "fun" activities are bad for your joints such as basketball, tennis and skiing. He said the three best exercises for joints are swimming, bike riding and the elliptical machine. He was all about saving your knees, which apparently are very vulnerable. I think I'm going to do more of the elliptical at my gym.

Just thought you might find this interesting.

-Nancy

The Precor Elliptical Cross-Trainer was always good on my knees, but I used an elliptical recently (can't remember the manufacturer) that actually hurt my knees. It's almost like it strained them or something.

I attest that swimming is great. I have been swimming for over 5 years now, and it is great for keeping the weight off and making all those muscles I build from Cathe vids sleek!

This is why I never wanted to get into running - it's murder on your knees! I know it's a super calorie burner, but it's not worth the risk of injury. I've seen what it's like to go through a double knee replacement surgery, and it ain't fun!
Just Do It! :)

That is interesting; all of the quick changes of directions in the 'fun' activities put so much stress on the many ligaments and tendons around the knee but I do still love to play squash once in a while. Cycling is an awesome way to crosstrain and I've always preferred the eliptical to the treadmill. I'm knocking wood as I say I've been very lucky with my knees, no problems there....I guess there's an upside to having been pretty sedentary for 30+ years, it did save my knees for all of Cathe's crazy plyo stuff that I love so much}( :7

Take Care
Laurie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.