I'm ffreaking out, need some advice please!

Georgia

Cathlete
I remember about a year ago there was a thread about hair products and alot of ladies jump in sharing their knowledge, I need some of that knowledge now. My story:

I went to have my hair highlighted, and the lady gave me white/gray hair. This was my first time doing this. I have already strawberry blonde hair but thought is was starting to look dull so I went in to have it brighten up. I didn't ask for that! So in a matter of a month I try to correct it to get it back to normal. I try over the counter box first, which looked beautiful until the color washed out . Then I went back to my girl and she put low lights in, lasted about a week. Then aout 2wks later I went to another girl, she put a dye in, now it's perfect, except it started to fall out. My hair was very thick, it has thinned down now, and there is significant thiness to the top front of my head. I have to do a comb over! I'm besides myself, I feel sick to my stomache.

My question, will it grow back? Did I do permanent damage? It's been about a month now and I can't see new growth it.

PS: she said she used the weakest strenght and my scalp feels fine. No burning or itching.

Oh, sweetie, leave it alone!!! No more chemicals, okay? Of course it's going to grow back, you're just going to have funky hair for a while.

I wish I COULD find someone I know to dye my hair gray; it would make the growing out process a lot easier. Where is this first person you went to??? ;)

Calm down. It'll be okay. And, just keep telling yourself, "It's just hair. It'll grow back." (yeah, I know, but not fast enough, huh? :)).

You poor thing! I agree with Carola, leave it alone for now and then maybe look for a HIGHLY recommended stylist to help you get it back to good. I have had neon orange highlights before (NOT intentionally) and have had my hair stripped TWICE. I've ended up with a pixie cut several times just to "start over". It will pass and your hair will grow back normal. I just have to wonder what they have put in your hair though to get it to this point... I had very blonde highlites just a year ago and then got sick of it and went out and bought a box of medium brown dye. Then I missed the blonde highlites, so went and had them redone. The girl who does my hair uses "Blazing" instead of bleach. It's supposed to be much easier on the hair. Anyways, after the Road Trip last year, I was ready for a change again and went back to brown. Then just recently I went dark red with caramel highlites. My hair is still very healthy, so I think a lot of it has to do with have a good experienced colorist working on you. I'll probably go back to blonde this summer and I know my girl will get it done without frying me. ;)

I can't attest to how your hair is. But I went through something similar, with the difference of a bleaching process from jet black hair to almost whitish blonde. On top of that, every time I tried to brush my hair, large clumps came out. I tried the over the counter processes and then the hairdressers. Basically, I think your hair has been badly damaged from all the chemical processing. The only way I resolved it, was to get it chopped down as short as I could handle. As I had some growth, I continued to keep cutting out all the damage and also let my hair be free from processing for some time after that. It took quite some time for my hair to go back to normal, but it did.

Although the girl said she used the weakest strength, a number of factors including the time it was left on and scalp sensitivity.

Good luck.

Rita

Thank you so much ladies! This helps me greatly.

Rita, I'm glad your hair return to normal, I needed to hear this from someone who had an experience close to mine. My hair is just passed my shoulders. I've been using Redken extreme shampoo and conditioner and only wash it every 2nd day, if I don't have to work, then every 3rd. My hair was healthy before this,but had more of a coarse texture on top, which is where the highlight job was done. And as it grows out I'm cutting it above my shoulders, I want to grow out my layers anyway.

My brother has a wedding in October, hopefully this will be a distant meomory by then.

Wish I had a time machine. I will never do this again.

Thanks again ladies! :)

My former hair stylist had that happen to her one time. She told me how she had processed it several times because she didn't like how it looked and then her hair started to fall out! She said she wore a wig for a little while but her hair did go back to normal and needless to say, she didn't do that again! My suggestion is to maybe cut it a little shorter to get rid of a lot of the damaged hair and let it grow out...and avoid chemicals until it has completely grown out!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.