I signed up for the Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk today!!

ChristinaK

Cathlete
Today is the second anniversary of my mom's death from breast cancer. I've wanted to participate in the 3 Day ever since I first heard about it in 2000 but I was intimidated by the amount of training and the fundraising. I decided today was the day to stop thinking about it and time to just do it! I am very excited and a bit nervous.

Has anyone ever done this? I would love to hear about your experience and any training tips, etc

I think what you're doing is wonderful and I wish you well. I've never done anything like that before so I have no advice to offer, but I made a small donation and I hope my example will inspire others to do the same.

Michele:)

RE: I signed up for the Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk today!...

That's wonderful. Good for you. I've never done one, but know people who have and they love it and do it every year. And what an awesome cause to join. I'm sure there's others here who will have some advice on how to get ready for it. I just think that's great, you getting out there and doing this. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif[/img]

Kali

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro/cartoonblob01/lb/175/130/140/.png[/img] [/url]

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

Hi - I feel for you today. Today is the second anniversary of my father dying of a form of Parkinson's Disease. It's a tough day, I know, but we are strong and will make it through.

Try to keep happy thoughts today!

Marcia.

I think that it is amazing. You are a very strong person. I have never done anything like this, but I wanted to wish you luck and congradulate you! :)

Missy

Christina-I want to say CONGRATULATIONS for doing something about a horrible disease. What you have just committed to is something that will make you feel like nothing else (besides motherhood, of course)! When I get a chance, I am planning on helping out a bit with your fundraising...I assume it's under the link you included, I will check it out.

I have never done this specific event, but may I share with you my experience???

My DH passed away in September of 2004 at 32 years old, from leukemia. We have 2 boys, age 5 and 8 (now). Here's what I'm doing to fight this disease. I signed up for the Leukemia Society's marathon in Diseny World this coming January. I committed to the fundraising as well, my goal is $4,000. I was really worried about this part of it. Long story short, TODAY I AM ONLY $225 FROM MY FUNDRAISING GOAL!

I have been amazed by the generosity of my friends, family and community. Here's the easiest way to raise funds...JUST ASK! Seriously, ask and you shall receive. TRUE! I never thought I'd raise this much money, but it's been a lot easier than I thought and VERY REWARDING TO KNOW THAT I AM DOING SOMETHING TO COMBAT THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE! No 3 or 6 year old should lose their daddy because there isn't enough money for chemo or enough money for research.

You are a special person to be doing this. Thanks for letting me share my experience with you! If you'd like some ideas on how to raise funds, I can share what I've done besides just asking.

Gayle

A friend of mine did that this past summer. She said it was one of the greatest experiences ever.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I really appreciate it.

Gayle, I am very sorry for your loss. No one should have to lose their spouse or father at such a young age. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Best of luck on your marathon.

I did this walk in Boston in May 2002. We had such a great time and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, we also had unseasonable weather (hail, snow, sleet) and in the midst of fighting through, I hurt myself :( But aside from that, what an incredible experience!

We (my fitness buddy and I!) trained for a few months. We mostly met up and walked on the weekends. We'd pack a lunch in our waist packs and walk one day per weekend, stopping in the middle for lunch. If I had it to do over again, I'd walk a couple of weekends both days to get the "day after day" aspect of the walk in the training.

Bring gear for all kinds of weather and wear layers. I would recommend bringing some kind of tarp or plastic piece (even a heavy duty garbage bag torn up will do) for the top and floor of your tent. Bring plastic covers for your shoes (again, even garbage bags and rubber bands will do). WE laughed at everyone that had these - until the puddles were inches thick!!!!!!!!!

Get a waist pack so that you can carry a few things and water bottles without having to hold them. There are plenty of snacks along the way for yo to grab and enjoy but you want someplace to stick the wrappers (if you eat and walk), tissues, etc. Bring two bottles for your pack (one for water and one for gatorade).

Here's another cute thing that you may decide to do: A lot of people made up shirts or hats or whatever with a picture of their loved one affected by breast cancer and wore them along the way. It was very touching to see that so many people were there for a particular person. We didn't have ayone in particular that we were walking for but a majority of people did and it was nice to see their dedications.

HAVE FUN! I'd do it again but I really should not b/c of my knee. It is just an amazing, happy event, although very emotional and touching as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience Christine. I will definitely keep all your suggestions in mind.

Christina,

First let me say what a wonderful gift to honor your mother with such an incredible cause. I am so sorry for your loss and I know, from experience, that you will get more out of this 3-day event then you could ever imagine.

I walked the 3-day this past October in Tampa, FL. I actually wrote a journal regarding my experiences during the 3-day (if you would like to read it, my email address is [email protected], just drop me a line).

As another member on this forum mentioned, you need to be aggressive in your fundraising activities. Start the first of the year. Send both emails and written letters but, make your comments short and to the point. Don't mention the date you are walking (people tend to procrastinate and wait to donate) and ask for a specific amount, $50.00 or $100.00. This makes it easy on them and you. Keep a list of the people you have contacted in the journal your 3-day mentor provides you (to help with your follow-up). You will be given the opportunity to set-up a web-page(compliments of the Susan G. Koman foundation) and people can donate on-line immediately. It is also a nice touch to add your photo or your team photo on your homepage (the 3-day mentors walk you through the whole process). I also found it helpful to write thank you notes as soon as people donated to my team. This way you are not overwhelmed after the walk.

Finally, I know alot about walking in extreme 98 degree heat and lots of rain. You can purchase huge zip-lock bags (large enough to hold a pillow) at SAM'S club. I recommend you label each bag (day #1, day #2 etc) with all of your clothes and other personal items to make it easy to get ready at 6AM or earlier each day. I placed everything I brought into these bags...thank goodness because it poured on us both evenings and all of my belongings were dry!

I am going to sign up again this year to walk and would be happy to help you with any questions you have. As an aside, I trained every weekend for 4 months walking 20 miles each weekend day. However, Cathe's workouts were more than enough training. I would recommend your normal Cathe routine and 2-3 months prior to the event walk a 10 mile route 3 times and at least 20 miles one time before the event. That is more than enough.

Congratulations on your decision to make a difference!:)
Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.