I need to be punished! aka "I'm sick of my gut!"

I am sick of my gut!

Why, oh why, oh why can I not make the food connection? I know that many of us on this forum feel the same way. I workout hard 6 days a week and use that as justification to eat whenever and whatever I want. I only have myself to blame. I just want to weigh 120 but am now up to 130 due to my eating.

This may sound crazy but I am going to try a punishment tactic, effective July 1, 2001. I was thinking of something besides food that I could use to reward myself, then it hit me, my fitness forums. I love my fitness forums and I could use them on a daily basis as a reward for having had good eating paterns that particular day. If I blow it on a particular day, no forums, no chatting.

Do you think I am crazy? I really need something to motivate me.

Got to make the food connection!!

You need to be encouraged!

Well, different things work for different people. You could give that idea a whirl and see what happens, but be careful not to cut yourself off from the encouragement you need ~ aka fellow fitness junkies and vidiots! Remember, even though you're not at your ideal weight, you're probably more fit than most of the people around you! Fitness is so much more than just body composition!

I have about 23 pounds to lose myself, I've actually been thinking of buying a scale just to have a slightly more tangible way to determine small gains (or losses). I thought it might encourage me to really make the 'food connection' and stop being such a glutton if I have some kind of measurable encouragement to look forward to daily! Now that I think about it, that's how I did it when I was a teenager. Everyday I'd wake up and get on the scale, that was really motivating! Obviously, the true measure is how you feel (and how your jeans feel). But since things don't happen overnight, that just gives you something to look forward to. I mean that, even if your jeans might not have noticed any difference yet (and that can be so discouraging), at least the scales might be saying ‘good job' and ‘keep it up'!

Anybody else have any suggestions?

RE: You need to be encouraged!

If you're serious about doing what it takes to take that ten pounds off, get yourself down to weight watchers. You will be surprised at all the fit looking ladies there. That's how they get and stay that way.

I only had 10 pounds to lose and lost it in about 6 weeks at ww, then decided to go for 6 more so I'm working on that now. I'm 5'3, was 132, and will be 116. Weight Watchers is not just for obese people. It really works too. Go for it! Kath

Everyone I know who has tried Weight Watchers (and followed the instructions) have had wonderful results! I've heard that one of its strengths is that it's so structured. Also, you learn so much about food that it's impossible not to make the 'food connection'. Good job Kath, you're an inspiration!

I have a terrible relationship with food. I have tried just about everything! Structure is the best advice, I think. However you choose to create structure (Weight Watchers, punishment, etc.) is up to you. I don't think not reading the forums is a good punishment. I can just see myself eating too much, punishing myself for not eating right and then eating more 'cause I feel terrible. My tips (take it or leave it).

1. Don't buy the junk and be extremely full when you shop.
2. Make a list of meals you are going to make for the week.
3. Put encouraging pictures of Cathe on your frige.
4. Allow yourself a little cheat every day. Mine is 2 peanut M&Ms and I'm doing very well not to eat the whole package.

I know these are all the typical diet tips but some of them actually work. Take care and good luck! Know that you aren't alone!

Marcia, freezing in northern Sweden

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I am constantly going up and down the scale about 5-8 pounds or so. My goal is also 120 and it is just frustrating not to be able to achieve it. I will help you out and keep checking to make sure your on track. It will help me too. Just think we are here for you and don´t let it get you too down...we all struggle. You are strong and motivated otherwise you wouldn´t be here.

I just got the Weight Watchers at home kit, and it's excellent! The program is so flexible, absolutely anyone can use it, and I promise you that you will NOT starve! I have enough will power that I don't need the meetings, but I did need more structure with my eating. But it boils down to a food diary, planning and exercise. They advocate a weekly weigh-in, and I am trying to do that instead of a daily weigh in. I don't have much to lose, but I thought it was smarter to corral my eating rather than kill myself with exercise to compensate. I'ts all moderation.

Please do not think you need to punish yourself! Your are being nice to yourself, and are taking care of yourself when you develop good habits! You would not punish your best friend who had weight issues, so why do it to yourself?! Let us encourage you even on your bad days....that's when you need us the most!

I think that the fact that you have already made a commitment to choose another avenue, rather than food, as a reward system is a big deal. Just like smoking, drinking, and other bad habits, over-eating and poor food choices are hard habits to break. But making a conscious decision to change is a wonderful first step. I am currently planning my own personal cheat-day, birthday, wild party, hog heaven extravaganza! I am planning the menu, the drinks, the desserts! My sister and I are on a four week regimen of diet and exercise. It's been tough but wow, have we seen some results. Thank goodness our week off in between our next four-week rotation is the week of my birthday! I plan to shop at the Strip District in Pittsburgh for all my goodies! But, until then our diet is strict, but not leaving us hungry.
Good luck and I have faith that you'll accomplish whatever you set your mind to doing!
Amy

some people say i am too tough...but

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-01 AT 06:16PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-01 AT 06:14 PM (Est)[/font]

I have another angle for you to think about....

perhaps you have a tolerance level for the weight you say you dont want...

Last summer after a winter in elastic stretch pants i put on a pair of jeans that had fit the year and i could not zip them ..
I was serioulsy Horrified.

Horrified enough that i actually had an easy time making changes...
like spitting out food if it did not belong in my mouth!

There was no thought like:

"i SHOULD lose a few pounds"
it was more like "get these pounds off me... NOW!! NO FOOLING Around, I WANT THEM OFF "

I parked my car and took to the road....i walked to work..to the store... I walked home from dinner dates across town !!
It was summer so it really became a pleasure...

I also made serious food adjustments (alot of steamed brocolli and alot of "No thank you-s" and I kept moving as much as i could...
It's a year later and i am still walking! (imagine if i had just gone straight instead of ever back tracking home... i'd be seeing the world

It worked..(which was cool, cause i never had lost weight before when i tried)

But the thing was...I was so mad about my pants not fittin that nothing in the fridge looked good enough to make me budge.

so my thought is...

its going to be alot easier if you are in a "i want it off... no messing around, I mean it " mode.

Good luck any way you do it..
thats just what worked when i took off the extra weight.

RE: some people say i am too tough...but

Which is, of course a lifestyle change. Which is what we're supposed to be doing! Cinza - you go girl!! Good work! :)
R.

Ruth!
i knew i would lure you to say hello with the " i'm too tough" !!!.
:p

You know me too well!

Natalie, I'd be careful about mentioning punishment around the evil lady ;-)
Ruth

Yes!

Cinza -

You hit the proverbial nail on the head for me on this one.

I finally realized that I DO have a tolerance for this 10-15 lbs I would LOVE to take off because I don't look too badly in clothes. It's when I'm in a dressing room under those yucky flourescent lights that I think "YUCK! My gut is so gross!"

I have to make that resolve that losing this fat IS important.

Thanks for lighting that fire under my butt.

RE: Yes!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-01 AT 11:16PM (Est)[/font][p]oops..nevermind...accidentally posted again.

I agree...as soon as I read that posting I knew I wasn't REALLY trying to lose this weight. I only tried some...I wanted it lost, but not enough to make a full commitment? That's why I realized - and said - that Cinza had made a lifestyle change. We know we're supposed to be working for that change, but we usually only go so far.
I like to kid Cinza but the truth is it gave me a lot to think about too. Thanks, C!
I guess a lot of us need to re-evaluate our goals & our willingness to fully commit to them.
Glad I'm not alone!
Ruth

Ruth, that is so true ....the part about re-evaluating our goals and our willingness to fully commit to them really rang true!

I wasn't really trying before....I wanted it lost (as you said) but I wasn't REALLY trying.....just hoping that the little I was doing would do the trick!

Some of your guys have a great way of putting into words things I have a hard time expressing!

What is working for me is what Honeybunch said....use a food diary, plan ahead and exercise.

I can see I'm going to have to do this food diary thing! So to motivate myself to get started, I went out & bought a little notebook to use for that & my exercise logs. Having a new toy always helps me to do something I don't necessarily want to do!

I've kept a rigid food dairy with the help of my Calorie King book and WW materials, and found that I don't feel the need to hop on the scale every day if I know I ate OK and did the exercised I wanted to do. I only weighed myself twice this week! That is MAJOR for me!

My weight stayed the same, but that's OK. I may be where I need to be, and besides that, a doc told me WAY back in 1973 that I should weigh what I weigh now, and I'm beginning to believe him. I know I really don't care what I weigh as long as I look good, and that means to me good muscle tone. It IS worth all the work, I know that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.