I BOUGHT MY FIRST AUBERGINE TODAY..........

Bernard

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-02 AT 07:57PM (Est)[/font][p]and I don't really know what to do with it ?

Any ideas, my Cyber-Friends ?

Thanks

Anna :)

PS: I LOVE garlic - so far I have managed to consume 9 cloves of garlic in the past 4 days, quite a record for me ! :7 So any garlicky and auberginy ideas would be great :D

PPS: An aubergine is an EGGPLANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, I KNOW, I KNOW!!! Slice it about 1/4 inch thick & season it with a LITTLE cayenne (red pepper), salt & any other seasoning you like. Put it under the broiler for a few minutes until it starts to "toast." Do that with yellow squash & zucchini, too! Put it on a nice roll for a yummy grilled vegi sandwich!!!

Of course that's the healthy way. The fat way is to dip it in scambled egg, dip it in seasoned bread crumbs & fry it in olive oil for abuot 1 minute on both sides. Serve with tomatoe sauce (NOT KETCHUP!!!). Yummy!!!

Either way, enjoy!

I'm ready to take the next step! http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

Saute an a bit of onion and garlic, cut the eggplant into 3/4" cubes and add it to the pan. Add some zucchini or yellow squash, a couple of tomatoes, some basil, oregano, salt and pepper and you have ratatouille. Excellent with pasta, by itself, even a bit of leftovers in an omelet.

Another thing to do with tiny cubes of eggplant (1/2" or smaller) is to put them on a pizza.

Thanks for the definition, Anna - I was thinking an aubergine was either a car model or a new brand of coat from The Land Down Under!

Make Aubergine Parmesan with string cheese and some good hearty tomato sauce!

A-jock
The Uncook

Assuming you want a healthy idea, go with Ratatouille as Mogambo suggested. It's wonderful alone, over pasta or polenta. Use leftovers on pizza.

A roasted eggplant (aubergine) makes a great hummus. Roast till soft.

Last idea is to roast cubed eggplant with onions & tomatoes for a great pasta/polenta/pizza topping.

Garlic is perfect with any of these. Basil too, but it's out of season.

Debra

Are you supposed to salt and let drain eggplants before using, to get rid of some of the moisture content? Seems like something I read before. I haven't eaten an eggplant for a long time, but I make a stir fry (use cooking sherry instead of oil, or a combo of olive oil and cooking sherry) with tomatoes, onions, garlic basil and zucchini, and have substituted eggplant for the zucchini. The secret is lots of basil!

Hi Kathryn,

I have my eggplant roasting in the oven at the moment with 3 cloves of garlic chopped over it, a tiny blob of oil on each slice, with dried basil sprinkled over it. I am having it with a veggie lasagne. I am a bit apprehensive because I don't know what it is going to taste like :-hmmm ???

anna :)

I like that apprehensive attitude. Then you will either be vindicated or pleasantly surprised, both of which feel great. Whereas those silly optimistic types run the risk of constant disappointment :)

I was pleasantly surprised after last nights Aubergine/Eggplant tasting, it gets a thumbs up from me !!! :D :D :D

anna :)

Kathryn,

The salting is for the purpose of eliminating the bitter taste eggplants might have. I understand that the variety of most eggplants grown today no longer have this characteristic. I use to salt eggplant slices before I made eggplant parmigiana but have not had to do it for quite a while now.

Bea

Anna,
just a couple things about eggplants: Remember when you cook with them that they are very absorbent so whatever you cook with them they will absorb like a sponge. Good in a tomato stew!
The texture is also very unique. I can't think of any other veg that has a texture quite like eggplant. Maybe squash, but not exactly the same. Some people love it, and some people don't.
HTH
Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.