HUMAN RESOURCE HELP

Lavender

I know this is not related to exercise but I need some help.

I went on an interview the other day and I had these two females quizzing me in the board room, they were all those questions from a million years ago like, what would you do if you knew someone was stealing, where do you want to be in 5 years, name your biggest accomplishment, you know the stuff. Well, I am not very good at this sort of thing , does anyone know of a book I can get that nails these questions. I work as an administrative assistant, so many of those things don't even apply to me. I moved from a big city to this small one and the jobs are few and far between and I think I am going to run into this thing more than I care to think about. HELP!

I know this is not related to exercise but I need some help.

I went on an interview the other day and I had these two females quizzing me in the board room, they were all those questions from a million years ago like, what would you do if you knew someone was stealing, where do you want to be in 5 years, name your biggest accomplishment, you know the stuff. Well, I am not very good at this sort of thing , does anyone know of a book I can get that nails these questions. I work as an administrative assistant, so many of those things don't even apply to me. I moved from a big city to this small one and the jobs are few and far between and I think I am going to run into this thing more than I care to think about. HELP!

I had a book called "Interview Power" that was great. But I would suggest going to Amazon.com & just search books for "job interviews." That way you can see your options & how others have rated the books.

I had a book called "Interview Power" that was great. But I would suggest going to Amazon.com & just search books for "job interviews." That way you can see your options & how others have rated the books.

You can find a lot of potential interview questions on the internet. It would definitely be helpful for you to look them over and think about how you would respond to the questions. A couple things to remember when you are being interviewed---be positive and smile(!!!) and if you don't have an immediate answer to a question, it's fine to say that you need a minute to think about it.

GOOD LUCK!!

I have worked in HR for 8 years & while you may feel those questions were irrelevant to your application for the job, I can tell you that they still provide a great deal of insight to a person's character. Stealing is a huge issue for companies--even something as small as a sticky note can freak out some "tightwad" managers. Asking what your biggest accomplishment is & where you see yourself in 5 years shows a motivation on your part. Your biggest accomplishment does NOT have to be work related. I have told interviewers that my biggest accomplishment is raising my daughter & watching her grow into a smart, well-educated woman & believe it or not NAILED the interview. No, an interviewer cannot ask you if you have a family but you can tell them if you feel that it may help in getting the job. Of course that all depends on what you feel the company is looking for.

If you can't tell an interviewer where you see yourself in 5 years it may show a lack of drive. Being an administrative assistant doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't have goals.

Good luck in your job search.

I found those books helpful to just make me think of how I would answer a question that might be asked. I just feel more mentally prepared by being in that interview mode of thinking. You still need to be yourself and not just answer based on a book's suggestion. Not that you would but you want to come off as natural and genuinely interested in the position. I am shocked sometimes by info applicants say in an interview. You wonder what they could be thinking! Asking good questions also makes a good impression. Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.