How to get started in the business

A

amanda12485

Can anyone give me some info on how to get started in the fitness industry, as far as teaching classes and maybe even accomplishing a fraction of what cathe has.

First off, get certified... You can go with ACE or AFAA and there are a few others (personally, I think ACE is the best for class instruction -- there are other certs out there if you want to go into personal training). If you regularly work out at a gym you can be an instructor's "apprentice" and teach portions of her class to get the experience, and then you can end up subbing for her. That all depends on what the club's policies are. YMCA's and universities are great to cut your teeth on and gain experience. I know when I was younger I would teach at 4-5 different facilities... but I don't advise that, you can burn out very easily.

Go to workshops and never stop learning. You are a source of information for all your students and new information comes out every day. You can take home-study courses to keep your certifications current. Not only will you need to be aware of the human body and how it works and moves, you'll also need to be able to properly communicate with your class and keep a beat -- cueing is so important, make sure you practice a few times before you teach your first class (there are workshops available for cueing and choreography).

The possibilities are endless -- you just have to jump in! Have fun! I've been doing this for 17 years and it is a natural part of my life! :)

Actually, if you want quality certification, get ACSM certified. They are the top of the line and one of the premier research entities in exercise physiology!

Tricia

Are you looking for personal training or group fitness? This is the difference. Sorry so short. I have an infant crying. Email me if you need to: [email protected]

Can anyone give me some info on how to get started in the fitness industry, as far as teaching classes and maybe even accomplishing a fraction of what cathe has.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.